What Is the Maximum Area a Farmer Can Fence Using Different Lengths of Material?

• Thread starter csc2iffy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, with 100 feet of fencing material available, the maximum area for the rectangular pen is 1250 sq ft.
csc2iffy
PLEASE HELP! maximizing area problem

Homework Statement

1. Homework Statement
A farmer wants to build a rectangular pen. He has a barn wall 40 feet long, some or all of which must be used for all or part of one side of the pen. In other words, with f feet of of fencing material, he can build a pen with a perimeter of up to f+40 feet, and remember he isn't required to use all 40 feet.
What is the maximum possible area for the pen if:
a. 60 feet of fencing material is available
b.100 feet of fencing material is available
c. 160 feet of fencing material is available

Homework Equations

a.
P=> 2x+y=60 => y=60-2x
A=> xy=60x-2x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked through the problem and found
a. For 60 ft of fencing material
x=15, y=30 => A=450 sq ft

I am not sure how to do b and c.
This is my attempt, but I know it is wrong (slightly)
b. For 100 ft of fencing material,
P=> 2x+y=100 => y=100-2x
A=> xy=100x-2x^2
working through this, I end up with
x=25, y=50 => A=1250 sq ft

I know this is wrong because the barn wall is only 40 feet long, and y=50, but all of the 100 feet of fencing has been used up by 2x+y, so there will be 10 feet of fencing missing. How do I rework the problem? Please help I've been working on this for hours! :(

Physics news on Phys.org

The variable y is the one with the constraint on it. It has to lie somewhere in the interval [0, 40]. Write the area as a function of y and find where it attains its maximum on that interval.

This is linear programming problem. With following equations for b

[tex]x\geqslant 0\quad ; 0\leqslant y\leqslant 40[/tex]

[tex]2x+2y \leqslant 140[/tex]

Maximize the function [itex]A=xy[/itex]. Use LP theorem

Related to What Is the Maximum Area a Farmer Can Fence Using Different Lengths of Material?

What is the "maximizing area problem"?

The maximizing area problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum possible area of a shape given certain constraints or limitations. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

How do you solve the maximizing area problem?

There are several methods for solving the maximizing area problem, including calculus, geometry, and algebraic equations. The specific method used will depend on the shape and constraints of the problem.

What are some real-life applications of the maximizing area problem?

The maximizing area problem has numerous real-life applications, such as maximizing profits in business, optimizing land usage in city planning, and determining the most efficient design for structures like bridges and buildings.

What are some common mistakes made when solving the maximizing area problem?

One common mistake is not properly considering all of the constraints and limitations given in the problem, which can lead to an incorrect solution. Another mistake is using an incorrect method for solving the problem, which can also result in an incorrect answer.

How is the maximizing area problem related to other mathematical concepts?

The maximizing area problem is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as optimization, derivatives, and integrals. It is also related to the concept of finding the global maximum or minimum of a function.