{Calculus} Minimize the heat loss

In summary, the problem involves finding the area of the floor of a box-shaped house that minimizes heat loss, with the constraint that the house encloses 1500 cubic feet. The solution involves setting the volume of the house in terms of the dimensions of the floor and using the first and second derivative test for absolute extrema to find the minimum area. The final answer is an area of 100 square feet.
youngstudent16

Homework Statement

A box-shaped house has a square floor. Three times as much heat per square foot is lost through the roof as through the walls, but no heat is lost through the floor. If the house encloses 1500 cubic feet, then find the area of the floor that minimizes heat loss.

Homework Equations

First and second derivative test for the absolute extrema

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very weak with optimization problems, the hardest part is setting up the equation for myself. I figure I want to maximize the size of the floor in order to minimize heat loss. I know my constraint is the volume of the cube. After that I'm kind of stuck.

So Constraint: 1500=lwh
maximize: floor(lw)

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
If the dimensions of the house are l, w, and h, what is the area of the roof?
If the dimensions of the house are l, w, and h, what is the area of the walls?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
If the dimensions of the house are l, w, and h, what is the area of the roof?
If the dimensions of the house are l, w, and h, what is the area of the walls?

Chet

I think I see what your saying would this help

Say the floor (and roof) is a square of side length x, and the building height is y. Then the area of the roof is x^2, and the total area of the 4 walls, each with area xy, is 4xy

youngstudent16 said:
I think I see what your saying would this help

Say the floor (and roof) is a square of side length x, and the building height is y. Then the area of the roof is x^2, and the total area of the 4 walls, each with area xy, is 4xy
Good. Now, if the amount of heat lost through the walls is k(4xy), where k is the constant of proportionality between the wall area and the heat loss through the walls, in terms of k, how much heat is lost through the roof? In terms of x, y, and k, what is the total amount of heat loss?

Chet

Hmm ok so since you lose 3k through the roof then the total will be
3x^2+4xy
Now I have to figure out how to minimize that, I think I need it as one variable take the derivative and set it equal to 0

youngstudent16 said:
3x^2+4xy
Now I have to figure out how to minimize that, I think I need it as one variable take the derivative and set it equal to 0
Excellent.

Chet

Ok x^2y=1500
I solved for x and then substitued that into the equation above

took the derivative set it equal to 0 to solve for y as 15

plugged y into x^2y=1500 to get x = 10

Would then the area of the floor that minimizes the heat loss be 3(10)^2

or 300

youngstudent16 said:
3x^2+4xy
You're forgetting about expressing the volume of the house in terms of x and y.

Adding this constraint can help simplify the equation for the heat loss thru the walls and roof.

(Instead of jotting down expressions, try to write complete equations for the heat loss.)

youngstudent16 said:
Ok x^2y=1500
I solved for x and then substitued that into the equation above

took the derivative set it equal to 0 to solve for y as 15

plugged y into x^2y=1500 to get x = 10

Would then the area of the floor that minimizes the heat loss be 3(10)^2

or 300
Good work, but no, it would be 100. The area is 10 x 10.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Good work, but no, it would be 100. The area is 10 x 10.

Chet
oops yes thank you for the help

Related to {Calculus} Minimize the heat loss

1. What is the purpose of minimizing heat loss in calculus?

The purpose of minimizing heat loss in calculus is to find the optimal solution that minimizes the amount of heat lost in a given system. This is important in various fields such as engineering and physics, where minimizing heat loss can improve efficiency and reduce costs.

2. How is calculus used to minimize heat loss?

Calculus is used to minimize heat loss by using mathematical techniques such as differentiation and optimization. These techniques allow scientists to find the minimum value of a function, which can then be used to determine the optimal solution for minimizing heat loss.

3. What factors affect the amount of heat loss in a system?

The amount of heat loss in a system can be affected by various factors such as the temperature difference between the system and its surroundings, the material properties and thickness of insulation, and the surface area of the system. Other factors like wind speed and humidity can also play a role.

4. Can calculus be used to minimize heat loss in real-world scenarios?

Yes, calculus can be used to minimize heat loss in real-world scenarios. Many industries, such as construction and energy, use calculus to optimize their systems and reduce heat loss. Calculus can also be applied to specific scenarios, such as minimizing heat loss in a building or a specific piece of equipment.

5. Are there any limitations to using calculus to minimize heat loss?

While calculus is a powerful tool for minimizing heat loss, it is not always the best approach. In some situations, other factors may need to be considered, such as cost-effectiveness or practicality. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the simplifying assumptions made in the calculus calculations.