Ok, need a little help in a couple of areas (2nd order w/forcing terms)

In summary: The steady state solution of the diff eq x'' + x' + 2x = cos(t) can be written x(t) = sqrt(1/2)*cos(t + sigma) and asks for sigma where -pi < sigma <+ pi."So find the solution to the homogeneous equation. You are looking for the value of sigma where -pi < sigma <+ pi. "I get yc = e^-t/
amb123
1) For one question, the forcing term is 8cos2x - 4sinx. I am trying to solve by the method of undetermined coefficients. The solution to the homogeneous equation is c1cosx + c2sinx so for the particular solution I was using :
Acos2x + Bsin2x + Cxcosx + Dxsinx, where I added the x's into the last two terms because without those they would be solutions of the homogenous equation. Where am I going wrong here? I end up able to solve for A and B, but not for C and D. I have tried using convolutions but the constants become messy, and there are many many terms to deal with.

2) Another question is an eq of motion w/o damping with a forcing term of sinwt (w=omega). the question is "for what value of omega do oscillations increase unbounded?". I am not sure exactly what I am looking for here. My book mentions briefly the consequences of something being underdamped, and the frequency matching and making bridges collapse, etc, but nothing like this question. Where do I begin to look for the guidance to solve this type of question?

Any/all guidance is appreciated.
thx.
-A

Physics news on Phys.org
it would help if you post the ode+(boundary conditios) as your description is rather vague.

Ok, sorry about that.

First question is x'' + 16x = sinwt which describes a mass-spring system under s sinusoidal driving force. the question is for what value of w do the oscillations of this system increase w/o bound. I just don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do, any hints on where to begin or what I'm looking for here?

another question is y'' + y = 8cos2x - 4sinx where y(pi/2) = -1 and y'(pi/2) = 0
I have tried this all different ways and keep having problems. I was just shown a new method earlier today and I'm going to try figure that one out this weekend, i'd be interested to find out if there is a method by which this is best solved and it works out well.

I'm also getting a nasty answer for y'' - 2y - 8y = 2e^-2x - e^-x where y(0)=y'(0) = 0. I get a really nasty answer using convolutions.

I'm most concerned with the first problem, though, because I can't figure out what I'm really trying to do with it.

thx for any help.
-A

"First question is x'' + 16x = sinwt which describes a mass-spring system under s sinusoidal driving force. the question is for what value of w do the oscillations of this system increase w/o bound. I just don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do, any hints on where to begin or what I'm looking for here?"
Hint:
When the forcing term hits upon the natural frequency of the system, you'll get resonance.

"another question is y'' + y = 8cos2x - 4sinx where y(pi/2) = -1 and y'(pi/2) = 0
I have tried this all different ways and keep having problems. I was just shown a new method earlier today and I'm going to try figure that one out this weekend, i'd be interested to find out if there is a method by which this is best solved and it works out well."
Find the solution of the homogenous system.
Add to that particular solutions of your differential equation, use suitable trigonometric trial functions here.

If we are just looking for w/w0 to equal near 1, then if we know that the value of omega is sqrt(k/m) and we have k & m, then find that w0 = 4, then we just want w from the forcing term to also be four in order for this to resonate, correct? Am I way off base here? Is this much more difficult than that?

I am working on another word problem then I'm going to redo the other one from scratch using method of undet coeffs.

Thanks!
Angela.

You're right, if you hit the natural frequency (given by k&m) with your external force, the system experiences resonance.

arildno said:
You're right, if you hit the natural frequency (given by k&m) with your external force, the system experiences resonance.

Wow, I thought it was going to be a much more complicated problem than that! Thanks!

Ok, another one I have a problem with is the one that says "The steady state solution of the diff eq x'' + x' + 2x = cos(t) can be written x(t) = sqrt(1/2)*cos(t + sigma) and asks for sigma where -pi < sigma <+ pi. I haven't a clue on this one, any suggestions? I get yc = e^-t/2[C1cos((sqrt(7)/2)*t + C2sin((sqrt(7)/2)*t] but I'm not sure how this helps.

And, I just worked out this problem : y'' + y = 8cos(2x) - 4sin(x) where y(pi/2) = -1 and y'(pi/2) = 0 using the annihilator method and got :

Ytotal = (16/3 - pi)cos(t) - 11/3*sint - 8/3*cos(2t) + 2tcos(t)

If you get a chance, can you take a look and see if you come out with the same thing because I've gotten different answers with other methods and I'm not sure if I'm doing this one right.

Thanks again for the help!
-A

Last edited:

Related to Ok, need a little help in a couple of areas (2nd order w/forcing terms)

1. What is a second order equation with forcing terms?

A second order equation with forcing terms is a type of differential equation that involves a second derivative and external forces that affect the behavior of the system being studied. It can be used to model a variety of physical, biological, and social phenomena.

2. How do you solve a second order equation with forcing terms?

The general approach to solving a second order equation with forcing terms is to first find the complementary solution, which is the solution to the equation without the forcing terms. Then, a particular solution can be found using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. The final solution is the sum of the complementary and particular solutions.

3. What are some common examples of second order equations with forcing terms?

Examples of second order equations with forcing terms include the damped harmonic oscillator, the motion of a pendulum subject to external forces, and the growth and decay of populations under the influence of external factors. These equations can also be used to model electrical circuits, heat transfer, and chemical reactions.

4. What is the significance of forcing terms in a second order equation?

The forcing terms in a second order equation represent external influences or disturbances that affect the behavior of the system being studied. They can have a significant impact on the solution and can help to explain real-world phenomena that would not be captured by the complementary solution alone.

5. How can second order equations with forcing terms be applied in different fields?

Second order equations with forcing terms have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, biology, economics, and more. They can be used to model the behavior of physical systems, population dynamics, economic trends, and many other phenomena. These equations can also be used to make predictions and inform decision-making in these fields.