2nd-order coupled nonlinear DEs

In summary, if you are struggling to solve a 2nd-order coupled nonlinear differential equation, you can try using numerical methods, perturbation methods, computer programs, or collaborating with others in your field.
eating
Hi, folks. I'm new to this forum.

I joined because i am so desperate in solving a 2nd-order coupled nonlinear differential equation for the motion of a system similar to an inverted pendulum model. The equation, which i will call here EXACT governing eqn, is this

A(s) s" + B s' + C(s, s') = Dsin(t)

where s(t) = {u(t) v(t)}^T [2x1 vector].

The 2x2 matrix A(s) matrix given as

A(s) = [ h h^2 ]
[ h^2 h^2 + u^2]

where h is a constant and u=u(t).

My problem is that direct integration can not proceed because A(s) does not have an inverse when u becomes zero.

The equation can be simplified when s(t) are small and the governing equation reduces to third-order ODE in terms of v, i will call an APPROXIMATE governing eqn. u(t) can be solved as u = f(v, v').

In more than 6 months, i have tried several methods:

1. Method switching.
Switch from solving the EXACT to APPROXIMATE equation, when u(t)~0 or becomes
less than some numerical value say e, then switch bact to EXACT soln when u(t)
becomes large. This method, however, caused significant discontinuities at e; and
sometimes solution diverges when amplitude D is large.

2. Least squares.
I added a new equation to minimize the acceleration s"(t), i.e., added

W(u) * s'(t+dt) = W(u) * s'(t), W(u)=1 for simplicity here

and solve a system of 6-first order ODEs in terms of s(t+dt) and s'(t+dt) using
principle of least squares.

This EXACT solution is identical to the APPROXIMATE solution when amplitude D is
small, which is has to be in this cases. But when amplitude D is large, the additional
equation (minimizing acceleration s") may be too strong to cause significant changes
in the governing equation, thereby altering the expected motion.

ARE THERE WAYS TO SOLVE THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM?

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY COMMENTS. THANK YOU.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello and welcome to the forum! I understand your frustration with trying to solve this difficult differential equation. I have encountered similar challenges in my research.

First of all, I would suggest looking into numerical methods for solving differential equations. These methods use numerical approximations to solve equations that cannot be solved analytically. Some commonly used methods include Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and the finite difference method. These methods may be able to handle the nonlinearity and coupling in your equation.

Another approach you could try is using perturbation methods. This involves expanding the solution in a power series and solving for each term. This can be useful for small parameters, such as your amplitude D, and can give you an approximate solution.

You could also try using a computer program or software specifically designed for solving differential equations. These programs often have built-in algorithms and methods for handling difficult equations.

Lastly, I would suggest reaching out to other scientists or researchers in your field who may have encountered similar equations or problems. Collaboration and exchanging ideas can often lead to new approaches and solutions.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. Good luck with your research!

Related to 2nd-order coupled nonlinear DEs

1. What is a 2nd-order coupled nonlinear DE?

A 2nd-order coupled nonlinear differential equation (DE) is a mathematical equation that involves two dependent variables and their derivatives, where both variables are nonlinearly related to each other. This means that the rate of change of one variable is influenced by the values of both variables, and the relationship between them is not a simple linear one.

2. What makes 2nd-order coupled nonlinear DEs different from other DEs?

Unlike other differential equations, 2nd-order coupled nonlinear DEs are more complex and difficult to solve analytically. This is because the nonlinear relationship between the variables makes it challenging to find a closed-form solution. In most cases, numerical methods are needed to solve these types of DEs.

3. What are some real-world applications of 2nd-order coupled nonlinear DEs?

2nd-order coupled nonlinear DEs have many applications in various fields, including physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering. Some examples include modeling the motion of a double pendulum, studying population dynamics, and analyzing chemical reactions.

4. How are 2nd-order coupled nonlinear DEs solved?

As mentioned earlier, analytical solutions to 2nd-order coupled nonlinear DEs are rare, and numerical methods are usually used instead. These include methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods. These methods involve breaking down the DE into smaller, simpler equations and solving them iteratively.

5. What are some challenges in dealing with 2nd-order coupled nonlinear DEs?

One of the main challenges in working with 2nd-order coupled nonlinear DEs is the lack of analytical solutions. This means that numerical methods must be used, which can be time-consuming and computationally intensive. Additionally, the behavior of these DEs can be unpredictable, making it challenging to interpret the results and understand the system's dynamics.