Official College Football Bragging Rights Thread V2.0

In summary, college football season has finally arrived. So declare your allegiance, talk some trash, and gang up on any USC or Ohio State fans.
Man, there were some good games yesterday.

I would have loved to see OSU play USC. Yet, it's for the best though that they lost. They got a taste of what would have happened to them if they played us. We would have at least scored more than 13 points.

As for a rematch -v- Mich, I'd love to woop up on the team up North again. You just can't justify to me a second place team in their conference should play ahead of the SEC champion.

I would like to see us play Florida, partly because my wife is a native to Jacksonville, Fl and I lived their several years. (which was hard being a Buckeye fan in Florida in the early 90's, but I held my own.) Finally, I would be able to back up all the trash talking I did to all those Gator fans.

Head to head though, Mich would beat Florida, hands down. Ohio state will beat either one and reign victorious! Go Buckeyes! (with the heisman winner, Troy Smith)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a shame what happened with Rutgers last night, but they still had a heck of a season.

RVBuckeye said:
As for a rematch -v- Mich, I'd love to woop up on the team up North again. You just can't justify to me a second place team in their conference should play ahead of the SEC champion.

This was exactly the way I saw it. Even though I think Mich is the better team, the SEC deserves a shot at OSU, and somebody who's not a conference champ probably doesn't deserve a spot in the title game.

LeBrad said:
It's a shame what happened with Rutgers last night, but they still had a heck of a season.

Yeah, considering what a turnaround that team has made in such a short time, you still have to be happy for them. It's a whole lot better to lose by only 2 points in a third overtime than the way they usually get creamed, losing by at least 20 points. And, with this good of a year, they'll be able to recruit even better players to keep building the program. (I'm guessing they no longer brag that their football players have the highest SAT scores in the conference. :smile:)

The downside is I heard they're cutting some of the other sports programs to funnel the money into building the football program. I don't think people even know RU has a fencing team, so that's probably not much of a loss (I didn't even know they had one, and I was a student there), but they're also cutting one of the crew teams, and to me, crew is much more of a Rutgers tradition that should be preserved. Even as a kid, we used to watch the crew team practicing out on the Raritan. I will always associate Rutgers with crew.

Looks like it will be Michigan ... playing in the Rose Bowl vs USC. So Florida vs Ohio State.

OSU 49 Fla. 17

Book it.

This will be a terrible game.

Math Is Hard said:
w00t! Yeah Bruins!

Congrats, but don't get used to it.

Moonbear said:
I don't think people even know RU has a fencing team, so that's probably not much of a loss (I didn't even know they had one, and I was a student there), but they're also cutting one of the crew teams, and to me, crew is much more of a Rutgers tradition that should be preserved. Even as a kid, we used to watch the crew team practicing out on the Raritan. I will always associate Rutgers with crew.

When I lived in Highland Park, I knew a girl on the Rutgers fencing team. I have no idea how she remained academically eligible, since I can't recall her ever going to a single class.

Anyway, bring on the Wolverines. I get the feeling this one will be a low-scoring, ugly game, and Michigan will win narrowly thanks to the inability of the team to pull off a game-winning drive to fruition with Booty at the helm.

Was the Boise St-Oklahoma game the best bowl game ever?

You had the underdog get a fast start out of the gate, which got Oklahoma pressing under the pressure, then a great comeback by Oklahoma with the underdogs finally cracking under pressure to all but lose the game in the end ... then that incredible finish!

That game had two of the greatest plays in college football history with the 4th and 18 hook and lateral and the statue of liberty play for the 2-point conversion. It even had a touch of romance with the marriage proposal after the game! :smile:

(Watching the Sooners lose was much more entertaining than watching Nebraska-Auburn).:frown:

That game was awesome! I had nearly lost interest when Boise State was up 28-10, but decided to keep on loosely watching. Then the comeback and crazy stuff at the end, wow!

I'd like to brag about the Badgers. No one gave them any measure of respect due to their "weak" schedule. Still, they finally beat a ranked team, gave Michigan a run for their money, and finished for the first time with 12 wins. And if Penn St. gets into the final poll of the year, they would have beaten 2 ranked teams!

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'd like to brag about the Badgers. No one gave them any measure of respect due to their "weak" schedule. Still, they finally beat a ranked team, gave Michigan a run for their money, and finished for the first time with 12 wins. And if Penn St. gets into the final poll of the year, they would have beaten 2 ranked teams!

:)

Zz.

Badgers?! BADGERS?!

We don't need no stinkin' Badgers!
:smile:

BobG said:
Badgers?! BADGERS?!

We don't need no stinkin' Badgers!
:smile:

They not only stink, they're one of the nastiest and vicious animals you can encounter!

<growl!>

Zz.

I got to stick up for the real OSU !
(Or not Oh or Ok). :approve:

The Beavers got off to a slow start, but after defeating nationaly ranked USC never looked back. They finally went 9-4 with a victory over Missouri in the Sun bowl.

GO BEAVERS!

BobG said:

Not even the best Fiesta Bowl game ever according to ESPN!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=fiesta87" You can always count on PSU to topple an evil empire.

And thanks a lot Michigan, way to make the Big 10 look bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
LeBrad said:
Not even the best Fiesta Bowl game ever according to ESPN!

The 2003 fiesta bowl was pretty memorable in it's own right, but I'm a little biased.

And thanks a lot Michigan, way to make the Big 10 look bad.
What about the choke by Minnesota too? Embarrasing!
At least no Big 10 team lost to an SEC team. I'll give PSU some credit...they played good defense.

BobG said:
I can't believe I fell asleep at the end of the third quarter.:cry:
I had to wake up early for work today and I really didn't think Oklahoma had any offense all game. The highlights of the last 2 minutes of regulation and overtime were incredible. I'd have to say it might very well be the best bowl game ever. Just because it was Boise State. Whoda thunk it?

Integral said:

The Beavers got off to a slow start, but after defeating nationaly ranked USC never looked back. They finally went 9-4 with a victory over Missouri in the Sun bowl.

GO BEAVERS!

The victory over Missouri put them at 10-4.

I was so thrilled that RU won a bowl game! And then WVU won the Gator Bowl too! Yay! And I didn't see a bit of either game, so didn't get to jinx them. :biggrin:

BobG said:

I missed it, waah! :cry: I kept my wife waiting an hour before coming to dinner because I was watching Michigan lose to USC, so I figured I'd better not watch any more football last night. At least I got to see the two big plays and the marriage proposal on the ABC news tonight.

Integral said:
'Scuse me?

As for the Boise State Game - I wish I hadn't missed that. I've been a closet Boise State fan since the Ryan Dinwiddie years. It been a heartbreaker to see them lose the Bowl Game after a nearly spotless season in 4 of the last 5 years. Good to see them pull of a gutsy win over OU (extra bonus - OU loses!)

Also, no negative points for UM - beating USC in their backyard is possibly the hardest thing to do...judging from recent College Football history.

Embarrassing!

Go Gators!:biggrin:

Talk about a collapse of epic proportions...

You chose a bad time to lay an egg, Troy.

Not much to say about that other than "wow." I knew Ohio State wasn't going to be able to spread out Florida and pass all day like they seemed to do at will to everyone else they played, but I didn't see them being this completely shut down. I figured they'd have some success on defense, with Florida's lack of a running game. I thought it would be a fairly even matchup and a low scoring game. I was actually leaning Florida after the way USC dismantled Michigan, figuring Florida sported a similar mix of defensive speed and strength and speed rushers, but that was an extremely narrow lean.

I would never have predicted such a systematic domination. Hell, who would have? Heacock's defensive strategy extremely weak and the Buckeye o-line disappeared. I knew Troy Smith could be bothered after what Penn State did to him last year, but I never thought I'd see him perform this poorly. Kudos to the Gators. Their staff knew exactly what to do, Leak came through, and those defensive ends really delivered in a major way.