ODE - First encounter, not understanding them

• Thread starter Astrum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the author provides a summary of the content and tries to explain why the book answer is correct if the initial velocity is zero. He also provides his own solution which differs from the book answer.
Astrum

Homework Statement

First time I've had to deal with ODEs, an I'm pretty confused.

This SHOULD be a simple ODE for finding air resistance, that is only dealing with the y vector (up and down in this case)

[itex]m\frac{dv_{y}}{dt}=mg-kv_{y}[/itex]

Homework Equations

F=ma
f=-kV

The Attempt at a Solution

First order differential equation, so we only need to integrate once.

[tex]m\frac{dv_{y}}{dt}=mg-kv_{y}=g-\frac{kv}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{dv}{dt}=gt-\frac{k}{m}\int v dt[/tex]

I have no idea where to go from here. The answer in the book gives:

[tex]v=\frac{mg}{k}(1-e^{-\frac{kt}{m}})[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Astrum said:

Homework Statement

First time I've had to deal with ODEs, an I'm pretty confused.

This SHOULD be a simple ODE for finding air resistance, that is only dealing with the y vector (up and down in this case)

[itex]m\frac{dv_{y}}{dt}=mg-kv_{y}[/itex]

Homework Equations

F=ma
f=-kV

The Attempt at a Solution

First order differential equation, so we only need to integrate once.

[tex]m\frac{dv_{y}}{dt}=mg-kv_{y}=g-\frac{kv}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{dv}{dt}=gt-\frac{k}{m}\int v dt[/tex]
This (above) won't work.
Astrum said:
I have no idea where to go from here. The answer in the book gives:

[tex]v=\frac{mg}{k}(1-e^{-\frac{kt}{m}})[/tex]

Divide both sides by m to get
dv/dt = g - (k/m)v

This equation is separable, so get everything involving v and dv on one side, and everything involving t and dt on the other. (There is nothing that involves t, though.)

The book answer does not include a possible initial velocity .

I'm sure there's a "classical" way to solve this equation. As an EE I would of course use the Laplace transform method, which sadly is not taught in most diff. eq. courses but should be.

The book answer is correct if initial velocity = 0.

(If you're interested in the Laplace method let me know.)

EDIT: Mark44 has the way to go. I tried but could not figure out how to separate the variables.

Mark44 said:
This (above) won't work.Divide both sides by m to get
dv/dt = g - (k/m)v

This equation is separable, so get everything involving v and dv on one side, and everything involving t and dt on the other. (There is nothing that involves t, though.)

I'll be honest, I had to look up what a separable ODE was.

So, after doing that, I got:

[tex]\int\frac{k}{m}v-g dv=\int dt[/tex]

so this equals: [itex]\frac{k}{2m}v^{2}-gv=t[/itex]

And the next step is to just rearrange?

Astrum said:
I'll be honest, I had to look up what a separable ODE was.

So, after doing that, I got:

[tex]\int\frac{k}{m}v-g dv=\int dt[/tex]
This isn't right, due to an algebra error.

Starting from dv/dt = g - (k/m)v,

we have dv/(g - (k/m)v) = dt

Now the equation is separated, and you can integrate both sides.
Astrum said:
so this equals: [itex]\frac{k}{2m}v^{2}-gv=t[/itex]

And the next step is to just rearrange?

rude man said:
The book answer does not include a possible initial velocity .

I'm sure there's a "classical" way to solve this equation. As an EE I would of course use the Laplace transform method, which sadly is not taught in most diff. eq. courses but should be.
I taught diff. eqns. for a lot of years, and Laplace transforms were one of the techniques presented. They weren't taught at the beginning of the course, though, and that's where the OP is, I believe.
rude man said:
The book answer is correct if initial velocity = 0.

(If you're interested in the Laplace method let me know.)

EDIT: Mark44 has the way to go. I tried but could not figure out how to separate the variables.

Mark44 said:
I taught diff. eqns. for a lot of years, and Laplace transforms were one of the techniques presented. They weren't taught at the beginning of the course, though, and that's where the OP is, I believe.

I had two texts on diff. eq's and neither mentioned Laplace. One was by MIT people.

Personally, I dislike the "Laplace transform method". It loved by engineers because it gives a very "mechanical" way of solving differential equations. You just "look up" the inverse transfors in a table. But I have never met a differentia equation, solvable by Laplace transform, that was not, in my opinion, more easily solved by direct methods.

HallsofIvy said:
Personally, I dislike the "Laplace transform method". It loved by engineers because it gives a very "mechanical" way of solving differential equations. You just "look up" the inverse transfors in a table. But I have never met a differentia equation, solvable by Laplace transform, that was not, in my opinion, more easily solved by direct methods.

I'm not sure that "guessing" a solution to a diff. eq., as is done classically, is more insightful than looking up an inverse in a table. And I like the convenience of not having to do two solutions (homogeneous & inhomogeneous) and also including the initial conditions automatically.

Chaqu'un a son gout.

Related to ODE - First encounter, not understanding them

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model continuous processes in science and engineering.

2. How are ODEs different from other types of equations?

ODEs involve derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a function. This makes them useful for studying dynamic systems, as they can show how a system changes over time.

3. What are some practical applications of ODEs?

ODEs have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model everything from population growth and chemical reactions to electrical circuits and mechanical systems.

4. Can you solve an ODE analytically?

Some simple ODEs can be solved analytically, using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or substitution. However, more complex ODEs often require numerical methods to find a solution.

5. What is the significance of the "first encounter" with ODEs?

The first encounter with ODEs can be challenging for many students, as the concepts and techniques involved can be quite abstract and difficult to grasp. However, once a solid understanding is developed, ODEs can be a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding dynamic systems.