Oblique incidence for Electromagnetic Waves

In summary, when drawing a diagram for oblique incidence, you can choose either direction for the incident electric field arrow, but you must be consistent. This means that if you choose one direction for the electric field, you must also choose the opposite direction for the magnetic field. If the algebra gives a negative value for the electric field, it simply means it points in the opposite direction to your chosen direction.
barnflakes
I'm a bit confused, when drawing the diagram for oblique incidence, how do I choose which way to draw the electric field? For example, I know the direction of the wave is in the plane of incidence and the wave vectors are simply arrows in the direction of the wave that I draw - and that the E field is polarised parallel to the plane, but that gives two directions for which I can choose E - how do I know which one? Does it just not make a difference when all is worked out in the end?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since E oscillates, you can choose either direction for the incident E arrow in your diagram, but you have to be consistent.

clem said:
Since E oscillates, you can choose either direction for the incident E arrow in your diagram, but you have to be consistent.

Thank you clem, however just looking at Griffiths book he has chosen two of the E fields to point to the right of the k vector and one to the left, that's not consistent?

I meant consistent with that you put the B vector as kXE. If the algebra gives you a negative E, that just means it points opposite to your assumed direction.

Related to Oblique incidence for Electromagnetic Waves

1. What is oblique incidence for electromagnetic waves?

Oblique incidence refers to the angle at which an electromagnetic wave approaches a surface. It is measured as the angle between the direction of propagation of the wave and the normal to the surface.

2. How does oblique incidence affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves?

Oblique incidence can cause electromagnetic waves to reflect, refract, or be absorbed by a surface. The specific behavior depends on the properties of the surface and the angle of incidence.

3. Can oblique incidence lead to total internal reflection?

Yes, oblique incidence can result in total internal reflection if the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle for the material. This occurs when the wave is traveling from a material with a higher refractive index to a material with a lower refractive index.

4. How does the polarization of an electromagnetic wave affect oblique incidence?

The polarization of an electromagnetic wave can affect its behavior at oblique incidence. For example, if the wave is polarized parallel to the surface, it may experience less reflection than if it is polarized perpendicular to the surface.

5. Can the frequency of an electromagnetic wave be changed by oblique incidence?

No, the frequency of an electromagnetic wave remains constant regardless of the angle of incidence. However, the amplitude and direction of the wave may be affected by oblique incidence.