Incident electric field attenuation near a metallic plate

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of E-field attenuation near a metallic plate, where the reflected E-field is opposite to the incident field due to the movement of electrons on the surface of the metal. This is caused by the static E-field lines being bent due to acceleration, resulting in a tangential component that opposes the incident field. The effect is greater when the plate is larger than half a wavelength. Further research into the electrostatic case is recommended for a better understanding of the dynamic case.
Bobymayor
Hello everybody,

I was visualizing the electric field radiation pattern of an antenna in a 3D EM simulation software (CST), and to see it with my eyes made me realize something I probably heard during my studies but forgot. What is the phenomenon behind what you can see below, which is the E-field attenuation when it is near a metallic plate (in the middle, side view), while the E-field is propagating from right to left ?

Efield_plate.png

I believe it is related to charges inside the metal that radiates an E-field all around the surface, opposite to incident E-field ?

Thanks !

Likes Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct. The metal is a conductor, so there can be no E-field at its surface. This means that all the energy is reflected and the phase of the reflected E-field is opposing the incident field. Another way to look at is that the electrons at the surface of the metal move in response to the incident E-field and, as per Newton, exert a force of reaction against it. The incident E-field does work against this force. The force is created by the static E-field lines of the electrons being bent due to the acceleration, and the direction of the radiated, tangential component is opposite to the incident field.
Notice that if the plate is smaller than half a wavelength, its effect on the incident field is very small.

Likes Bobymayor and berkeman
Thank you for your answer ! I will continue to dig into this, I only found courses introducing this behavior but for electrostatic case, which I guess is necessary to understand the dynamic case.

Related to Incident electric field attenuation near a metallic plate

1. What is incident electric field attenuation near a metallic plate?

Incident electric field attenuation near a metallic plate refers to the decrease in strength of an electric field as it approaches and interacts with a metallic plate. This phenomenon occurs due to the interaction between the electric field and the free electrons in the metal, causing the field to weaken.

2. Why does incident electric field attenuation occur near a metallic plate?

Incident electric field attenuation occurs near a metallic plate due to the presence of free electrons in the metal. When an electric field approaches the plate, the free electrons are mobilized and create an opposing electric field, causing the incident field to weaken.

3. How does the distance from the metallic plate affect incident electric field attenuation?

The distance from the metallic plate directly affects the incident electric field attenuation. As the distance between the field and the plate increases, the attenuation decreases. This is because the electric field has more space to spread out and the free electrons have less of an impact on the field.

4. What factors can influence incident electric field attenuation near a metallic plate?

Several factors can influence incident electric field attenuation near a metallic plate. These include the type of metal used, the thickness of the plate, the frequency of the incident field, and the angle of incidence. These factors can impact the strength of the opposing electric field created by the free electrons in the metal.

5. How is incident electric field attenuation near a metallic plate measured?

Incident electric field attenuation near a metallic plate can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as using a field strength meter or oscilloscope. These tools can measure the strength of the incident field before and after it interacts with the metallic plate, allowing for the calculation of the attenuation. Computer simulations and mathematical models can also be used to predict and analyze incident electric field attenuation.