Numerical integration methods applicable to a type of definite integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of numerical integration methods for a specific type of definite integral involving a function of sine, cosine, and x. The speaker mentions considering the Gauss-Laguerre quadrature method, but expresses uncertainty about its applicability due to the constraint on n. They also mention a singularity at x=0 and seek tips for handling it.
Tachyonomad
Numerical integration methods applicable to a type of definite integrl

Hey, so I've been working on a program to numerically integrate an integral of the form

∫xnf(x) dx, LIM(0 to INF.)

Here n can go to negative non integral values, say -3.7 etc. and f(x)
is a function of sin, cos and x's.
I want to know which numerical integration method I should be using for this
type of definite integral. I was looking at Gauss-Laguerre quadrature method, but I don't
know it it will be applicable, given the constraint on n to be > -1

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss–Laguerre_quadrature#Generalized_Gauss.E2.80.93Laguerre_quadrature)

Also, there is a singularity at x=0, which will affect it.
Can anyone given any tips on how to handle this ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Note that if the integral doesn't converge then no numerical algorithm will help you. If n=-3.7, then near zero your f needs to look like [itex]f(x)\approx x^a[/itex] for [itex]a>2.7[/itex] for the integral to exist. That is why generalized Gauss-Laguerre has the n>-1 condition. Conditions as [itex]x\rightarrow \infty[/itex] must also be met of course. The exponential in Gauss-Laguerre also helps with this.

jason

Related to Numerical integration methods applicable to a type of definite integral

What is numerical integration?

Numerical integration is a method for approximating the value of a definite integral using numerical techniques, such as summing up smaller intervals or using polynomial approximations.

Why are numerical integration methods useful?

Numerical integration methods are useful because they allow us to approximate the value of a definite integral when it is not possible to find an exact solution. This is often the case for complex or highly specialized integrals.

What are some common numerical integration methods?

Some common numerical integration methods include the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and Gaussian quadrature. These methods have different levels of accuracy and are used for different types of integrals.

How do I choose which numerical integration method to use?

The choice of numerical integration method depends on the type of integral and the desired level of accuracy. Generally, the trapezoidal rule is used for simple integrals, Simpson's rule for smooth functions, and Gaussian quadrature for more complex integrals.

Can numerical integration methods be used for any type of definite integral?

No, not all types of definite integrals can be approximated using numerical integration methods. Some integrals may be too complex or may require specialized techniques to be accurately approximated.