Number of Positive Solutions for Omega?

In summary, the conversation discusses the free vibrations of a string of length L clamped at x = 0 and constrained at x = L. The eigenvalues for this problem are given by the positive roots of the equation k\tan \left( {\omega L} \right) + \omega = 0. The number of positive solutions for omega in this equation is still undetermined. The conversation also considers the solution to the wave equation with initial conditions and uses the principle of linear superposition to find the solution u(x,t). There is a mistake in the initial solution for u(x,0) but it is corrected to be u(x,0) = (hx)/L. The conversation also discusses the difference between solving
Benny
Could someone help me out on the following questions?

Q. Consider the free vibrations of a string of length L clamped at x = 0 and constrained at x = L such that [tex]u_x \left( {L,t} \right) = - ku\left( {L,t} \right),k > 0[/tex].

(a) Show that the eigenvalues are given by the positive roots of: [tex]k\tan \left( {\omega L} \right) + \omega = 0[/tex]. How many positive solutions for omega does this equation have?

(b) The string is released from rest so that [tex]u_t \left( {x,0} \right) = 0[/tex], and the string is given an initial deformation given by u(x,0) = (hx)/L, where h is constant. Use the principle of linear superposition to find the solution u(x,t).

Wave equation: [tex]\frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial t^2 }} = c^2 \frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial x^2 }}[/tex]

For part (a) I just tried a separable solution [tex]u\left( {x,t} \right) = T\left( t \right)\phi \left( x \right)[/tex]. Where lambda is a constant I obtain the two ODEs:

[tex]
T''\left( t \right) + \lambda c^2 T\left( t \right) = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
\phi ''\left( x \right) + \lambda \phi \left( x \right) = 0
[/tex]

The boundary conditions (the string being clamped at x = 0 and constrained at x = L in the specified way) results in the following ODE problem.

[tex]
\frac{{d^2 \phi }}{{dt^2 }} + \lambda \phi = 0,\phi \left( 0 \right) = 0,\phi '\left( L \right) + k\phi \left( L \right) = 0
[/tex]

I found that if lambda is not positive then the ODE has trivial solutions so I take lambda to be positive.

[tex]
\phi \left( x \right) = A\cos \left( {\omega x} \right) + b\sin \left( {\omega x} \right),\lambda = \omega ^2 > 0
[/tex]

Plugging in the boundary conditions of the ODE above I get a A = 0 and [tex]F\left( {\sin \left( {\omega L} \right) + k\omega \cos \left( {\omega L} \right)} \right) = 0[/tex]. I take F not equal to zero to avoid a trivial solution to the ODE. So I get

[tex]
{\sin \left( {\omega L} \right) + k\omega \cos \left( {\omega L} \right)}
[/tex] = 0

which does not correspond to the given result. I also can't figure out how many positive solutions for omega the equation that I needed to derive in part (a) has.

I don't think I can do part (b) without having completed part (a) because I need to sum over a sequence of functions whose arguments contain omega to find the solution to the PDE.

Can someone give me some help? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Benny said:
Could someone help me out on the following questions?

Q. Consider the free vibrations of a string of length L clamped at x = 0 and constrained at x = L such that [tex]u_x \left( {L,t} \right) = - ku\left( {L,t} \right),k > 0[/tex].

(a) Show that the eigenvalues are given by the positive roots of: [tex]k\tan \left( {\omega L} \right) + \omega = 0[/tex]. How many positive solutions for omega does this equation have?

(b) The string is released from rest so that [tex]u_t \left( {x,0} \right) = 0[/tex], and the string is given an initial deformation given by u(x,0) = (hx)/L, where h is constant. Use the principle of linear superposition to find the solution u(x,t).

Wave equation: [tex]\frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial t^2 }} = c^2 \frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial x^2 }}[/tex]

For part (a) I just tried a separable solution [tex]u\left( {x,t} \right) = T\left( t \right)\phi \left( x \right)[/tex]. Where lambda is a constant I obtain the two ODEs:

[tex]
T''\left( t \right) + \lambda c^2 T\left( t \right) = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
\phi ''\left( x \right) + \lambda \phi \left( x \right) = 0
[/tex]

The boundary conditions (the string being clamped at x = 0 and constrained at x = L in the specified way) results in the following ODE problem.

[tex]
\frac{{d^2 \phi }}{{dt^2 }} + \lambda \phi = 0,\phi \left( 0 \right) = 0,\phi '\left( L \right) + k\phi \left( L \right) = 0
[/tex]

I found that if lambda is not positive then the ODE has trivial solutions so I take lambda to be positive.

[tex]
\phi \left( x \right) = A\cos \left( {\omega x} \right) + b\sin \left( {\omega x} \right),\lambda = \omega ^2 > 0
[/tex]

Plugging in the boundary conditions of the ODE above I get a A = 0 and [tex]F\left( {\sin \left( {\omega L} \right) + k\omega \cos \left( {\omega L} \right)} \right) = 0[/tex]. I take F not equal to zero to avoid a trivial solution to the ODE. So I get

[tex]
{\sin \left( {\omega L} \right) + k\omega \cos \left( {\omega L} \right)}
[/tex] = 0
You were good up to this point but I think perhaps you got [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\phi'[/itex] confused. The general solution to your equation is, as you say
[tex]
[/tex]
(Any reason for using b instead of B here?)
Certainly, since
[tex]\phi(0)= A= 0[/tex]
we have
[tex]
\phi \left( x \right) = b\sin \left( {\omega x} \right)
[/tex]
so that
[tex]
\phi' \left( x \right) = b\cos \left( {\omega x} \right)
[/tex]
[tex]\phi'(L)+ k\phi(L)= b\omega cos(\omega L)+ kbsin(\omega L)[/tex]
[tex]= b(\omega cos(\omega L)+ k sin(\omega L))= 0[/tex]
In order that b not be 0, so that [itex]\phi[/itex] be non-trivial, you must have
[tex]\omega cos(\omega L)+ k sin(\omega L)= 0[/tex]
or, dividing by [itex]cos(\omega L)[/itex],
[tex]\omega+ k tan(\omega L)= 0[/tex]
exactly the condition given.

It looks I just pulled an "F" from out of nowhere but I think I just misread my working while I was transferring it from my work book and onto PF. So there was no particular reason for choosing b, I just wasn't thinking straight, not enough sleep.

Anyway thanks for pointing out my mistake. I see how to get to that equation now.

[tex]
k\tan \left( {\omega L} \right) + \omega = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
\tan \left( {\omega L} \right) = - \frac{\omega }{k}
[/tex]

I'm not sure how to determine how many positive solutions there are for omega. I think I need to actually find an explicit solution for omega to solve the PDE, is it possible or ncessary to solve for omega to solve the PDE?

One more thing, for a PDE what's the difference, if any, between a boundary condition and an initial condition? Any help would be great thanks.

tangent goes to negative infinity at all odd multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] so the graph of [itex]y= tan(\omega L)[/itex] will cross the straightline graph of [itex]y= -\frac{\omega}{k}[/itex] infinitely often.

Ok but I don't know how I can isolate omega. To construct an expression for omega I tried considering if there were any special values of x such that tan(x) = x but I couldn't recall any such values. I also tried considering the equation in terms of cosine and sine...wcos(wL) + ksin(wL) = 0. If wL = (3/4)pi then I sort of get the LHS = zero. (off by some constant multiples of course) But apart from that I haven't gotten anywhere.

Edit: Nevermind, it's impossible to find an explicit expression for omega.

Last edited:

Related to Number of Positive Solutions for Omega?

1. What is the one dimensional wave equation?

The one dimensional wave equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the behavior of waves in one dimension. It is a partial differential equation that represents how a wave propagates through a medium, such as a string or a spring.

2. What are the variables in the one dimensional wave equation?

The variables in the one dimensional wave equation include time (t), position (x), and the amplitude of the wave (u). Other variables may also be included depending on the specific form of the equation being used.

3. How is the one dimensional wave equation derived?

The one dimensional wave equation is derived from the principles of wave motion, such as the conservation of energy and the wave equation. It can also be derived using the method of separation of variables, where the equation is split into simpler sub-equations to find a general solution.

4. What are the applications of the one dimensional wave equation?

The one dimensional wave equation has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used to model and study the behavior of sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and mechanical waves in different mediums.

5. What are the limitations of the one dimensional wave equation?

The one dimensional wave equation is a simplified model and does not account for all factors that may affect the behavior of waves, such as nonlinearity and damping. It also assumes that the medium in which the wave is propagating is uniform, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.