What is the characteristic frequency in a PDE modified wave equation?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question about solving a partial differential equation (PDE) and finding the characteristic frequency. The person is confused about how to find the characteristic frequency and whether lambda is a constant or a wavelength. They provide their attempt at solving the PDE and ask for clarification. In the end, they propose a solution but are unsure if they are missing a step. They also mention that something seems to be missing in the last expression.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

upload_2018-6-3_0-9-0.png

I am having a issue understanding this question I have solve the PDE below, but I can't understand where or how you the characteristic frequency, what more confusing is that I don’t know if that lambda is just a constant or a wavelength.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$U\left(x,t\right)=X\left(x\right)T\left(t\right)$$

$$\frac{X''\left(x\right)}{X\left(x\right)}=\frac{T''\left(t\right)}{c^2T}+\lambda ^2=-k^2$$

$$X''\left(x\right)+k^2X\left(x\right)=0$$

using boundary condtions ##U\left(0,t\right)=U\left(l,t\right)=0##, ##X(x)## can be forund to be:

$$X\left(x\right)=C_1sin\left(kx\right),\:X_n\left(x\right)=C_nsin\left(\frac{\pi n}{l}\right)$$

Now solving for T

$$T''\left(t\right)+\left(k^2+\lambda ^2\right)c^2T\left(t\right)=0$$

$$b^2=\left(c^2\left(\lambda ^2+k^2\right)\right)$$

$$T''\left(t\right)+b^2T\left(t\right)=0$$

Solving this I get the following equation

$$T\left(t\right)=C_2cos\left(bt\right)+C_3sin\left(bt\right),\:T_n\left(t\right)=A_ncos\left(c\sqrt{\lambda ^2+k^2}\right)+B_nsin\left(c\sqrt{\lambda \:^2+k^2}\right)$$

$$U_n\left(x,t\right)=\sum \:sin\left(\frac{\pi n}{l}\right)\left(A_ncos\left(c\sqrt{\lambda \:^2+k^2}t\right)+B_nsin\left(c\sqrt{\lambda \:\:^2+k^2}t\right)\right)$$

and this is where I am lost how do I find the characteristic frequency from this? I just can't seem to understand how they have gotten the follwing euqation,

I know that normally the frequency and be workout from ##f_n=\frac{nc}{2l}## where c is the speed of the wave along the string.

Could anyone please give some adice it would be much appreciated

edit: I just thought of something which give me somewhat of the correct answer. But I am not too sure if I can say c is a constant if it is I have the correct ans, but as I mentioned perivous I assume c is the speed of the wave.

Here what I have.

If I have a standing wave then, I have two solutions

$$y_1=Asin\left(kx-\omega t\right)$$

and

$$y_2=Asin\left(kx+\omega t\right)$$

as this sinerio gives a standing wave then I get

$$y_1+y_2=2Asin\left(kx\right)cos\left(\omega t\right)$$

so comparing this to what I have I can see that

$$\omega =2\pi f=c\sqrt{\lambda ^2+k^2}=c\sqrt{\lambda ^2+\left(\frac{n\pi }{L}\right)^2}$$

If I reagrange and solve for ##f_n## I get the following

$$f_n=\frac{c}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\lambda ^2}{\pi ^2}+\frac{1}{\pi ^2}\left(\frac{n\pi }{L}\right)^2}$$

which simplifying to the ans required except I have a 1/2 in mine can this be absorbed by c as it a constant or is there a step I am missing?

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-3_0-9-0.png
    upload_2018-6-3_0-9-0.png
    36 KB · Views: 1,392
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
$$X\left(x\right)=C_1sin\left(kx\right),\:X_n\left(x\right)=C_nsin\left(\frac{\pi n}{l}\right)$$
Seems to be something missing in the last expression above.
Taylor_1989 said:
I don’t know if that lambda is just a constant or a wavelength.
Looking at the original PDE, what dimensionality does it have?

Related to What is the characteristic frequency in a PDE modified wave equation?

What is the PDE modified wave equation?

The PDE modified wave equation is a mathematical model used to describe the propagation of waves in a medium. It is a partial differential equation that takes into account modifications to the standard wave equation, such as damping or dispersion effects. It is commonly used in fields such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics.

What are some applications of the PDE modified wave equation?

The PDE modified wave equation has many applications in different fields. In acoustics, it can be used to model the behavior of sound waves in a medium with varying properties. In electromagnetics, it can be used to study the propagation of electromagnetic waves in materials with different conductivity or permittivity. In fluid dynamics, it can be used to analyze the motion of fluids with varying viscosity or density.

What are the key differences between the PDE modified wave equation and the standard wave equation?

The PDE modified wave equation takes into account additional factors that can affect the propagation of waves, such as damping and dispersion. This means that the solution to the modified wave equation may exhibit different behaviors compared to the standard wave equation, such as attenuation or wave splitting. Additionally, the PDE modified wave equation is a more general form of the standard wave equation and can be used to model a wider range of physical systems.

What are the main challenges in solving the PDE modified wave equation?

The PDE modified wave equation is a nonlinear partial differential equation, which means that it can be more challenging to find analytical solutions compared to linear equations. In many cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution. Additionally, the PDE modified wave equation can have complex boundary conditions and initial conditions, making it more difficult to find an accurate solution.

What are some current research developments in the PDE modified wave equation?

There is ongoing research in the development of efficient numerical methods for solving the PDE modified wave equation, as well as the application of the equation in new areas such as geophysics and biomechanics. Additionally, there is interest in studying the behavior of waves in non-ideal materials, such as metamaterials, using the PDE modified wave equation.