Not your normal Trigonometry Question

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation for the angle x using trigonometric identities. The equation is given and the link provided is not working. The solution is found by using the identity cos^2(x) = 1 - sin^2(x) and solving for z using the quadratic formula.
chrisy2012

Homework Statement

The equation is here:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...E2/(.98)
You are trying to solve for the angle in this case x

wolframalpha gave a solution to this problem but it did not show the steps and I can't use that on the test. So can anyone please do the honor of showing me how to get there?

Homework Equations

Any identities that has to do with trig

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using sin^2 = 1 - cos^2 but that doesn't help

Physics news on Phys.org
link fail

First off, the link doesn't work.

Second, is this part of a take-home test? Aren't there rules about getting help for things like this?

oops, i swore it worked before
well anyways the equation is this
sin^2(x)/cos(x) = v^2/gR
everything on the right hand side is known and you are solving for x

And Don't worry, it's not a take home test, it's one of the problems from mastering physics, I have already gotten the right answer but I want to know how to solve these kind of questions in case it comes up on the test.

Try using trigonometric identity cos^2(x) = 1 - sin^2(x), and move all the cosines on one side and setting equal to zero.

I already tried that, it did not work, you have to know the value of cos(x) in order to solve it that way

lol.

Can you solve this equation:
[tex]
\frac{1}{z} - z = a
[/tex]
with respect to z.

you have to multiply by "Z" and use quadratic formula?

So, what's the solution?

oh got it, haha thanks, it was easier than i thought

good for you.

Related to Not your normal Trigonometry Question

1. What is "Not your normal Trigonometry Question"?

"Not your normal Trigonometry Question" refers to a type of math problem that is not typically seen in traditional trigonometry courses. It often requires a unique approach or creative problem-solving skills.

2. Why is it important to study "Not your normal Trigonometry Question"?

Studying "Not your normal Trigonometry Question" can help develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. It also allows for a deeper understanding of trigonometric concepts and their applications.

3. What are some examples of "Not your normal Trigonometry Question"?

Examples of "Not your normal Trigonometry Question" may include real-world problems that involve trigonometric concepts, complex or unconventional trigonometric equations, or challenging geometric constructions.

4. How can one approach solving "Not your normal Trigonometry Question"?

There is no one specific approach to solving "Not your normal Trigonometry Question," as each problem may require a unique strategy. However, some general tips include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, utilizing trigonometric identities and formulas, and thinking creatively to find a solution.

5. How can studying "Not your normal Trigonometry Question" benefit me in the future?

Studying "Not your normal Trigonometry Question" can improve your problem-solving skills, which can be applied to various situations in the future, both in and out of the scientific field. It also helps build a strong foundation for advanced trigonometry and other mathematical concepts.