Not sure what lab experiment to choose

In summary, the speaker is fortunate to have the opportunity to choose between two labs for their undergraduate studies. The first lab focuses on triboluminescence and involves studying the spectra of adhesive rubber, while the second lab focuses on nuclear quadrupole resonance and requires a strong understanding of physics and chemistry. The speaker is unsure which lab to choose and is seeking advice from others. They are also considering the potential impact of their decision on their future academic pursuits. The speaker encourages the reader to carefully consider their personal interests and goals before making a decision and suggests reaching out to experts in the field for more information.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm fortunate enough that I can choose between several labs and for my last choice I struggle between 2. I'm still an undergraduate student and the lab experiments aren't real research in the sense that I'm not supposed to discover anything new and they are meant for us to get experience in several fields and somehow study things close to real research.
The choices I'm doubtful about are:
1)Triboluminescence. The lab will be based on characterising the spectra coming from an adhesive rubber while varying some parameters (speed of unrolling, etc.).
2)Nuclear quadrupole resonance. We would study some properties of a very particular molecule.

1) seems the funniest thing to study. Though I think I could study this in almost any lab in the world.
2) seems extremely interesting to me, but I fear a bit the physics knowledge involved. I wonder if NQR is something easy to work on in say, most universities.

If some day I get the opportunity to go for a Ph.D. or a Master degree, I don't want to regret not having studied NQR.

Do you have any experience in either field? If you haven't but if you still have an idea about what either of these choices involve, please feel free to share.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, congratulations on having the opportunity to choose between two exciting labs! I understand the importance of making informed decisions about research opportunities.

Regarding your first choice, triboluminescence, it is indeed a fascinating phenomenon to study. While it may seem like a less "serious" topic compared to nuclear quadrupole resonance, it is still a valid and important area of research. In fact, triboluminescence has many practical applications, such as in creating self-powered sensors and improving the durability of materials. Additionally, the skills and techniques you will learn in this lab, such as spectrometry and manipulating variables, are transferable to other areas of research.

On the other hand, nuclear quadrupole resonance is a more specialized and technical field. It requires a strong understanding of physics and chemistry, and may be more challenging for an undergraduate student. However, if you are passionate about this topic and willing to put in the effort to learn, it can be a rewarding experience. NQR is not a commonly taught technique in most universities, so having the opportunity to work on it in your undergraduate years could give you a unique advantage in the future.

Ultimately, the decision should come down to your personal interests and goals. If you are considering pursuing a graduate degree in a related field, it may be beneficial to gain experience in NQR. However, if you are more interested in the practical applications and hands-on experimentation, triboluminescence may be the better choice for you.

I personally do not have experience in either field, but I encourage you to reach out to professors or researchers in both areas to gain more insight and advice. They may be able to provide you with information on the availability of NQR research opportunities and the level of difficulty for an undergraduate student.

Whichever lab you choose, make the most of your experience and continue to explore and learn in the field of science. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

Related to Not sure what lab experiment to choose

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a lab experiment?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a lab experiment, such as your research question or hypothesis, available resources and equipment, time constraints, and ethical considerations. It is important to carefully evaluate these factors to ensure the success and relevance of your experiment.

2. How can I narrow down my choices for a lab experiment?

One way to narrow down your choices is to brainstorm a list of potential experiments and then prioritize them based on their relevance to your research question, feasibility, and potential impact. You can also consult with your peers or mentor for their input and suggestions.

3. Can I replicate an existing experiment or do I have to come up with an original idea?

You can replicate an existing experiment, but it is important to give proper credit to the original study and make sure your experiment adds something new to the existing research. Alternatively, you can also build upon an existing experiment and modify it to fit your specific research question.

4. How do I ensure the safety of my lab experiment?

Prior to conducting any lab experiment, it is crucial to thoroughly review and follow all safety protocols and guidelines. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, properly handling and disposing of chemicals, and having a first aid kit readily available. It is also important to have a trained professional supervising the experiment.

5. How do I know if I have chosen the right lab experiment?

The right lab experiment should align with your research question, have a clear and feasible methodology, and provide meaningful results. It is also important to consider the potential limitations and ethical implications of your experiment. If you are unsure, seeking feedback from your peers or mentor can help validate your choice.