Nonlinear differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a differential equation that the speaker was unable to solve using separation of variables and the chain rule. They are seeking help from others to find the steps and explanation for solving the equation. One person suggests using the substitution v= dx/dt to make the integration easier.
mbadin

Homework Statement

In one problem I had got to this equations, but I was not able to solve it, because I'm actually
on high school.

The equation :
d^2/dt^2(x) = -h*g/(h+x)

I tried use separation of variables but I was not able to use the chain rule.
Can anybody show me the steps with explanation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mbadin! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
mbadin said:
d2x/dt2 = -h*g/(h+x)

either multiply both sides by dx/dt

or use d2x/dt2 = vdv/dx

(where v = dx/dt … you can prove it using the chain rule :wink:)

OK, here is how your equation appears to me:
[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -\frac{hg}{h+x}[/tex]
If i understood your question correctly, then you need to integrate twice to get rid of the differentiation.

sharks said:
OK, here is how your equation appears to me:
[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -\frac{hg}{h+x}[/tex]
If i understood your question correctly, then you need to integrate twice to get rid of the differentiation.
It's not that easy because the right side, that you want to integrate with respect to t depends upon the unknown function x.

I would do what tiny-tim suggested: Let v= dx/dt so that [itex]d^2x/dt^2= dv/dt[/itex] and then, by the chain rule,
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}= v\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

Your equation becomes
[tex]v\frac{dv}{dx}= -\frac{hg}{h+ x}[/tex]
which can be integrated as
[tex]\int v dv= hg\int \frac{dx}{h+ x}[/tex]

It might well give you a function v= dx/dt that is difficult to integrate but that is the most direct method to solve this equation.

Related to Nonlinear differential equation

1. What is a nonlinear differential equation?

A nonlinear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the derivatives of a function and is not linear in terms of the dependent variable. In other words, the equation cannot be written in the form of y = mx + b.

2. How is a nonlinear differential equation different from a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is one in which the dependent variable and its derivatives appear in a linear fashion, while a nonlinear differential equation involves products or powers of the dependent variable and its derivatives.

3. What are some examples of nonlinear differential equations?

Examples of nonlinear differential equations include the logistic equation, the Lotka-Volterra equations, and the van der Pol oscillator equation. These equations are commonly used in population dynamics, physics, and electrical engineering.

4. How are nonlinear differential equations solved?

Unlike linear differential equations, there is no general method for solving nonlinear differential equations. However, numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods can be used to approximate solutions.

5. What are the applications of nonlinear differential equations?

Nonlinear differential equations have various applications in different fields such as biology, physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model complex systems and phenomena that cannot be accurately described by linear equations.