Non-linear ODE, blow-up phenomenon

In summary, the conversation discusses the "blow-up" phenomenon in non-linear ODEs. The question posed is how to show that the solution to x' = 1 + x10 escapes to positive infinity in a finite time. The individual has not been able to find a satisfactory solution, but has determined that the limit of the solution approaches a real positive number as x approaches infinity. The book provides an exact solution to x' = 1 + x2, which shows that the solution "blows up" for a finite time. It is suggested that the solution to the original problem can be found by showing that x10 blows up faster than x2.
JohnDuck
Non-linear ODE, "blow-up" phenomenon

On page 40 of Steven H. Strogatz's Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos, question 2.5.2 says:

Show that the solution to x' = 1 + x10 escapes to positive infinity in a finite time, starting from any initial condition. (Hint: Don't try to find an exact solution; instead, compare the solutions to those of x' = 1 + x2.)​

I've not been able to show this to my satisfaction. The best I've been able to do is to find an implicit solution for x of the form f(x) - f(x0) = t, where x(0) = x0. Using graphical methods, I've determined that the limit of f(x) - f(x0) as x approaches infinity is a real positive number L for all real x0 (I believe I could show this analytically, however it would be very tedious as f(x) is not at all nice). This leaves me with the equation L = lim t as x approaches infinity. I've interpreted this to mean that the the limit of x as t approaches L diverges to infinity--this seems intuitively correct to me, but I can't seem to justify it using definitions of limits. Could someone tell me whether this interpretation is justified or unjustified (and why)?

Furthermore, this is obviously not the solution Strogatz had in mind. In the book, he finds an exact solution to the ODE x' = 1 + x2, namely x(t) = tan (t + arctan(x0)), and from this it is clear that x "blows up" for some finite t. How might one use this result to solve the above problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it a matter of showing x10 blows up faster than x2, or that x'' of one function > x'' of the other, as in x'' = 10x9 >> x'' = 2x?

Indeed. Hooray for obvious answers.

Related to Non-linear ODE, blow-up phenomenon

1. What is a non-linear ODE?

A non-linear ODE is a type of ordinary differential equation (ODE) where the dependent variable and its derivatives are not linearly related. In other words, the rate of change of the dependent variable is not directly proportional to the value of the variable itself.

2. What is the blow-up phenomenon in non-linear ODEs?

The blow-up phenomenon in non-linear ODEs refers to a situation where the solution to the equation becomes unbounded in a finite amount of time. This means that the value of the dependent variable grows infinitely large or becomes zero in a finite time, making the solution invalid. It is a common occurrence in non-linear systems and can have important implications in various fields of science and engineering.

3. What causes the blow-up phenomenon in non-linear ODEs?

The blow-up phenomenon in non-linear ODEs can be caused by a variety of factors, such as the non-linear nature of the equation, the initial conditions, or the choice of parameters. It can also occur due to the presence of singularities or critical points in the system, which can lead to rapid changes in the solution.

4. How can the blow-up phenomenon be prevented in non-linear ODEs?

Preventing the blow-up phenomenon in non-linear ODEs can be challenging, as it depends on the specific system and its parameters. However, some methods that can be used to avoid or delay the blow-up include changing the initial conditions, altering the parameters, or using numerical techniques such as adaptive step size control. In some cases, it may also be possible to reformulate the equation to make it more stable.

5. What are the applications of studying the blow-up phenomenon in non-linear ODEs?

Studying the blow-up phenomenon in non-linear ODEs has applications in various fields such as physics, biology, and economics. It can provide insights into the behavior of complex systems and help in predicting and controlling potential instabilities. Furthermore, understanding the blow-up phenomenon can also aid in the development of numerical methods and models for solving non-linear ODEs more accurately and efficiently.