Non-homogeneous 2nd degree differentials, simplification issues

In summary, the speaker is struggling to understand the simplification of a solution to a differential equation involving e^x and trigonometric functions. They mention Euler's formula and question the placement of their post. They apologize for any inconvenience.
Tom_Snake
Hi. I recently started studying differential equations, so bear with me. I started out with the following equation:

[itex]y'' - 10y' -61y = xe^{-x}[/itex]

I know the method for solving these, but the thing I don't understand perhaps isn't the differential eq. part, rather the simplification of the solution to the homogenous version of this.

I got this (part of the solution):

[itex]y = ce^{5x-6ix}+ce^{5x+6ix}[/itex]

but in the answer it was simplified to:

[itex]y = e^{5 x} (Acos(6x)+Bsin(6x))[/itex]

I've omitted the other part of the solution, but if this is necessary I'll post that as well.
What are they doing simplifying an irrational number to trigonometric functions?
Please, give me something searchable or explain it if it isn't too much to ask for.
Best regards / TS

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, the thing I was looking for was most probably http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_formula" .
Secondly, this may have been a malplaced post. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these types of questions should be placed in the Homework and coursework questions, since it's a part of my individual studies.

Sorry for the waste of posts.
TS

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Non-homogeneous 2nd degree differentials, simplification issues

1. What are non-homogeneous 2nd degree differentials?

Non-homogeneous 2nd degree differentials are differential equations that involve second-order derivatives and have terms that are not of the same degree. This means that the coefficients of the different terms are not equal, making the equation non-homogeneous.

2. Why are simplification issues common in non-homogeneous 2nd degree differentials?

Simplification issues can arise in non-homogeneous 2nd degree differentials because the equation involves terms with different degrees. This can make it difficult to find a general solution or to solve for specific values.

3. How can I simplify a non-homogeneous 2nd degree differential equation?

One way to simplify a non-homogeneous 2nd degree differential equation is to use the substitution method. This involves substituting a new variable for the highest order derivative and then solving for that variable.

4. Can a non-homogeneous 2nd degree differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a non-homogeneous 2nd degree differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the equation is not uniquely determined by the initial conditions, so there can be multiple functions that satisfy the equation.

5. Are there any specific techniques for solving non-homogeneous 2nd degree differentials?

Yes, there are specific techniques for solving non-homogeneous 2nd degree differentials, such as the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of variation of parameters. These methods involve finding particular solutions and then combining them with the general solution to get the final solution.