Differential Linear Operator Problem not making sense

In summary, a differential linear operator is a mathematical function used to describe the behavior of systems over time by taking the derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable in a differential equation. However, there are cases where a differential linear operator problem may not make sense due to errors in the equation or application of the operator. To solve a differential linear operator problem, the equation must be set up and initial conditions defined before applying the operator and solving for the dependent variable. Differential linear operators have various applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics, and solutions can be checked by substituting back into the equation or comparing to known solutions.
wadawalnut

Homework Statement

I think there may be something wrong with a problem I'm doing for homework. The problem is:

Solve the IVP with the differential operator method:
[itex] [D^2 + 5D + 6D], y(0) = 2, y'(0) = \beta > 0[/itex]
a) Determine the coordinates [itex](t_m,y_m)[/itex] of the maximum point of the solution as a function of [itex]\beta[/itex].
b) Determine the smallest value of [itex]\beta[/itex] for which [itex]y \geq 4 [/itex].
c) Determine the behavior of [itex] t_m [/itex] and [itex]y_m[/itex] as [itex]\beta \rightarrow \infty [/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved the differential equation by simplifying the operator to [itex] [D^2 + 11D] [/itex] (I thought it was weird that I had to do such a simple simplification). Then I wrote [itex] (D + 11)(D)y = 0 [/itex]. Next I said let [itex] z = [D]y [/itex] so the problem simplifies to [itex] [D + 11]z = 0 [/itex]. From this I got that [itex] z = c_1e^{-11t} [/itex] from separation of variables. Then, since z is just y', I integrated z to find y, which gave me [itex] y = \dfrac{-c_1}{11}e^{-11t} + c_2 [/itex]. According to Wolfram Alpha, so far, so good... (so what?).

Next, I solved the initial value problem.
[itex] y'(0) = \beta [/itex] so [itex]\beta = c_1e^0 [/itex] and [itex] c_1 = \beta [/itex].
[itex] y(0) = 2 [/itex] so [itex] 2 = \dfrac{-\beta}{11} \beta e^0 + c_2[/itex] and [itex] c_2 = \dfrac{\beta}{11} + 2[/itex].

Now I have:
[itex] y = \dfrac{-\beta}{11} e^{-11t} + \dfrac{\beta}{11} + 2 [/itex]
[itex] y' = \beta e^{-11t} [/itex]

Now for part a).
To find the maximum, I set y' to 0 and solved for t. I got:
[itex] 0 = \beta e^{-11t} [/itex]. This is not solveable. I'm assuming [itex] t \geq 0 [/itex] because conventionally t is time and must be greater than 0. Since beta is positive, the maximum of y occurs when [itex] t = \infty [/itex], so [itex] (t_m,y_m) = (\infty, \dfrac{\beta}{11} + 2)[/itex]. This seems sketchy but is the most reasonable answer I can come up with.

And now the very strange part, part b).
How is it possible for me to find a value for beta such that [itex] y \geq 4[/itex] if THE PROBLEM STATES THAT [itex]y(0) = 2[/itex]?
Isn't that a contradiction? I started this problem assuming that condition, and now my function of y prohibits the constraint that [itex]y \geq 4 [/itex]. Am I missing something?

I haven't really tried part c) because I'm assuming I already messed everything up, I just can't figure out where.
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
wadawalnut said:

Homework Statement

I think there may be something wrong with a problem I'm doing for homework. The problem is:

Solve the IVP with the differential operator method:
[itex] [D^2 + 5D + 6D], y(0) = 2, y'(0) = \beta > 0[/itex]
Typos above? I think it should be ##[D^2 + 5D + 6]y = 0##, and then the initial conditions.
wadawalnut said:
a) Determine the coordinates [itex](t_m,y_m)[/itex] of the maximum point of the solution as a function of [itex]\beta[/itex].
b) Determine the smallest value of [itex]\beta[/itex] for which [itex]y \geq 4 [/itex].
c) Determine the behavior of [itex] t_m [/itex] and [itex]y_m[/itex] as [itex]\beta \rightarrow \infty [/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved the differential equation by simplifying the operator to [itex] [D^2 + 11D] [/itex] (I thought it was weird that I had to do such a simple simplification).
See my comment above. I'm almost certain that the DE is y'' + 5y' + 6y = 0. If so, it can be solved fairly easily.
wadawalnut said:
Then I wrote [itex] (D + 11)(D)y = 0 [/itex]. Next I said let [itex] z = [D]y [/itex] so the problem simplifies to [itex] [D + 11]z = 0 [/itex]. From this I got that [itex] z = c_1e^{-11t} [/itex] from separation of variables. Then, since z is just y', I integrated z to find y, which gave me [itex] y = \dfrac{-c_1}{11}e^{-11t} + c_2 [/itex]. According to Wolfram Alpha, so far, so good... (so what?).

Next, I solved the initial value problem.
[itex] y'(0) = \beta [/itex] so [itex]\beta = c_1e^0 [/itex] and [itex] c_1 = \beta [/itex].
[itex] y(0) = 2 [/itex] so [itex] 2 = \dfrac{-\beta}{11} \beta e^0 + c_2[/itex] and [itex] c_2 = \dfrac{\beta}{11} + 2[/itex].

Now I have:
[itex] y = \dfrac{-\beta}{11} e^{-11t} + \dfrac{\beta}{11} + 2 [/itex]
[itex] y' = \beta e^{-11t} [/itex]

Now for part a).
To find the maximum, I set y' to 0 and solved for t. I got:
[itex] 0 = \beta e^{-11t} [/itex]. This is not solveable. I'm assuming [itex] t \geq 0 [/itex] because conventionally t is time and must be greater than 0. Since beta is positive, the maximum of y occurs when [itex] t = \infty [/itex], so [itex] (t_m,y_m) = (\infty, \dfrac{\beta}{11} + 2)[/itex]. This seems sketchy but is the most reasonable answer I can come up with.

And now the very strange part, part b).
How is it possible for me to find a value for beta such that [itex] y \geq 4[/itex] if THE PROBLEM STATES THAT [itex]y(0) = 2[/itex]?
Isn't that a contradiction? I started this problem assuming that condition, and now my function of y prohibits the constraint that [itex]y \geq 4 [/itex]. Am I missing something?

I haven't really tried part c) because I'm assuming I already messed everything up, I just can't figure out where.
Any help is appreciated.

I did not make a typo, that was the actual question.

wadawalnut said:
I did not make a typo, that was the actual question.
I didn't say or even imply that you made the typo, but I am almost certain (99.44%) it is a typo.

Related to Differential Linear Operator Problem not making sense

1. What is a differential linear operator?

A differential linear operator is a mathematical function that acts on a differential equation by taking the derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of systems over time.

2. Why might a differential linear operator problem not make sense?

There are a few potential reasons why a differential linear operator problem may not make sense. One possibility is that the differential equation being used is not well-defined or does not accurately model the system being studied. Another reason could be errors in the calculation or application of the operator, which can lead to nonsensical results.

3. How do you solve a differential linear operator problem?

To solve a differential linear operator problem, you first need to set up the differential equation and define the initial conditions. Then, you can apply the operator to both sides of the equation and solve for the dependent variable. This may involve integrating, finding a particular solution, or using other methods depending on the specific problem.

4. What are some common applications of differential linear operators?

Differential linear operators are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They can be used to model the behavior of physical systems such as circuits, fluids, and mechanical systems, as well as describe population growth, chemical reactions, and economic trends.

5. How can I check if my solution to a differential linear operator problem is correct?

One way to check the validity of a solution to a differential linear operator problem is to substitute the solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also compare your solution to known solutions or use numerical methods to approximate the solution and compare the results.