How Do You Analyze Stacked Beams Without Composite Action?

In summary: The shear force between the two beams is then the maximum between the two beams divided by the distance between them.
ichabodgrant
Hi, normally when we try to analyse a structural beam with composite section, we apply transformed section method or so. But what if two beams are just put together (one onto another one) instead of having a composite relation (e.g. glued together), how am I going to analyse the forces and stresses?

Someone tells me to separately consider the two beams. But how will the action load change for the two beams? Is there any shear stress that needs be to considered in the interface between the two beams?

(in the following graph, it is a simply supported beam. Let's think beam A and B are of equal length, equal thickness and same cross-section. But they are not in a composite manner, just put together. And let's say it is given the required allowable bending stresses, Young's moduli for both beams, how am I going to interpret these for such a non-composite beam? What are the differences compared to that when I see it as a composite beam?)
composite beam.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
ichabodgrant said:
Hi, normally when we try to analyse a structural beam with composite section, we apply transformed section method or so. But what if two beams are just put together (one onto another one) instead of having a composite relation (e.g. glued together), how am I going to analyse the forces and stresses?

Someone tells me to separately consider the two beams. But how will the action load change for the two beams? Is there any shear stress that needs be to considered in the interface between the two beams?

(in the following graph, it is a simply supported beam. Let's think beam A and B are of equal length, equal thickness and same cross-section. But they are not in a composite manner, just put together. And let's say it is given the required allowable bending stresses, Young's moduli for both beams, how am I going to interpret these for such a non-composite beam? What are the differences compared to that when I see it as a composite beam?)View attachment 92906
As far as beam analysis goes, the paper below may shed some light on how to analyze beams stacked together without shear connection:

http://www.steel-insdag.org/TeachingMaterial/chapter21.pdf

Basically, each beam bends about its own N.A.

Related to How Do You Analyze Stacked Beams Without Composite Action?

What is a non-composite beam?

A non-composite beam is a structural member that is not connected to any other structural elements, such as columns or other beams. It is designed to support loads and transfer them to the supports at either end.

What is the purpose of analyzing a non-composite beam?

The purpose of analyzing a non-composite beam is to determine its ability to support the intended loads without experiencing failure or excessive deflection. This analysis is crucial in the design of safe and efficient structures.

What factors affect the analysis of a non-composite beam?

The analysis of a non-composite beam is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the beam, the magnitude and location of the applied loads, and the support conditions at either end of the beam.

What methods are used to analyze a non-composite beam?

There are several methods used to analyze non-composite beams, including the moment distribution method, the slope-deflection method, and the finite element method. Each method has its advantages and is used depending on the complexity of the beam and the desired level of accuracy.

How is the strength of a non-composite beam determined?

The strength of a non-composite beam is determined by calculating the maximum bending moment and shear force that the beam can withstand without experiencing failure. This is typically done using the appropriate design equations and safety factors for the specific material and loading conditions of the beam.