What is the best way to model bending stresses in a balsa structure?

• Thread starter Glad2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation is about a project assigned to design a structure made from balsa that can break at an applied force of 200N. The design chosen is unique and the top member is planned to break under the force. The question is how to best model the bending stresses at the top of the design, and there are two suggestions given - using finite element analysis or a beam theory approach. Both methods have their pros and cons, but the former is more accurate while the latter is simpler.
Glad2
hi,

I'm a second year Mechanical Engineer studying at Manchester University

We have been assigned a project to design a structure made from balsa to break at an applied force of 200N (fig. balsa loads). In the pictures is the design we have decided upon (not least because it does not resemble the generic design chosen by many others). The question I am asking is how to best model the bending stresses that will occur at the top of the design (fig. balsa x-sect), as the widths and thickness's of the balsa sections need to be (obviously) justified and decided upon. I have attempted parallel axis theorem but with the vast number of variables and epic tables its proving very difficult.
It is designed such that the top member is a planned obsolescence and is the only member that breaks at the 200N. Does anyone know of any neat tips that I could use to make the analysis easier, I have already made some simple assumptions (such as all members are rectangular)
N.B this is not a finished model, there will be beams between the two parallel legs etc. but as far as the top is concerned it is just conveying the idea of how the top will work (not the mechanics of how we will join the members together)

Any help is seriously seriously appreciated, I have been attempting this for ages (with little help from team-mates)James

Attachments

• balsal load.jpg
    balsal load.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 385
  • balsa x-sect.jpg
    balsa x-sect.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 341
  • balsa b.jpg
    balsa b.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 341
Engineering news on Phys.org
One suggestion I can give is to use finite element analysis (FEA). This is a numerical method of solving the equations that govern the behavior of the structure, and it is very powerful for modeling complex geometries. You can use a software such as SolidWorks or ANSYS to model the geometry, apply loads, and compute the stress and strain on the top member. This is likely the most accurate way to determine the stresses in this structure.Another suggestion is to use a beam theory approach. This would involve assuming the top member is a beam, and then computing the stresses due to bending moments and shear forces. This is a much simpler approach and can be done by hand with pencil and paper. However, the results may not be as accurate as the FEA approach. Good luck with the project!

Related to What is the best way to model bending stresses in a balsa structure?

1. What is balsa analysis?

Balsa analysis is the process of studying and examining the properties and characteristics of balsa wood, which is a lightweight and highly versatile material commonly used in the fields of aerospace, marine, and engineering.

2. Why is balsa analysis important?

Balsa analysis is important because it helps scientists and engineers understand the structural and mechanical properties of balsa wood, which can then be used to design and construct more efficient and effective structures and products.

3. What techniques are used in balsa analysis?

The most commonly used techniques in balsa analysis include microscopy, mechanical testing, and chemical analysis. Microscopy allows for the examination of the internal structure of balsa wood, while mechanical testing measures its strength and stiffness. Chemical analysis can determine the composition and properties of the wood.

4. What are the potential applications of balsa analysis?

Balsa analysis has a wide range of potential applications, including designing and constructing lightweight structures for aerospace and marine industries, developing new composite materials, and improving the efficiency of wind turbine blades.

5. Are there any limitations to balsa analysis?

Like any scientific analysis, balsa analysis has its limitations. For example, balsa wood may vary in quality and properties depending on its source and growing conditions. Additionally, the results of balsa analysis may not always be directly applicable to other types of wood or materials.