Noetherian Rings - Dummit and Foote - Chapter 15 - exercise 9

In summary: Your Name]In summary, for the exercise in Dummit and Foote Chapter 15, Section 15.1, we are asked to show that any subring of a polynomial ring k[x] containing k is Noetherian, and to give an example of such a subring that is not a UFD (unique factorization domain). This involves understanding the definitions of Noetherian rings and UFDs, and using the fact that k[x] is a Noetherian ring. An example of a subring that is not a UFD is the ring of all polynomials in k[x,y] where the degree of y is even.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote Chapter 15, Section 15.1: Noetherian Rings and Affine Algebraic Sets.

Exercise 9 reads as follows:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For k a field show that any subring of a polynomial ring k[x] containing k is Noetherian.

Give an example to show that such subrings need not be UFDs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone please help me get started on this problem?

Peter

[Note: This has also been posted on MHF]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Peter,

Sure, I would be happy to help you get started on this problem.

First, let's define what a Noetherian ring is. A Noetherian ring is a ring where every ascending chain of ideals eventually stabilizes. In other words, if we have a sequence of ideals I1 ⊆ I2 ⊆ I3 ⊆ ... ⊆ In, then there exists some number N such that In = In+1 = ... = IN for all n ≥ N.

Now, let's look at the subring R of k[x] containing k. We know that k[x] is a Noetherian ring, since it is a polynomial ring over a field. Therefore, any subring of k[x] must also be Noetherian, since every ascending chain of ideals in R must also eventually stabilize.

For the second part of the exercise, we need to give an example of a subring of k[x] that is not a UFD (unique factorization domain). One example of such a subring is the ring of all polynomials in k[x,y] where the degree of y is even. This ring is not a UFD, since the polynomial y^2 can be factored as (y)(y), but these two factors are not irreducible in the ring.

I hope this helps you get started on the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Noetherian Rings - Dummit and Foote - Chapter 15 - exercise 9

1. What is a Noetherian ring?

A Noetherian ring is a commutative ring in which every ideal can be generated by a finite number of elements. In other words, the ascending chain condition holds for the ideals in the ring.

2. What is the significance of Noetherian rings?

Noetherian rings have many important properties and applications in algebra, number theory, and geometry. They are used to prove the structure theorem of finitely generated modules over a principal ideal domain, and they play a key role in the development of commutative algebra.

3. Can every ring be a Noetherian ring?

No, not every ring is a Noetherian ring. For example, the ring of all continuous functions on a closed interval is not Noetherian. However, many important rings in mathematics, such as polynomial rings, are Noetherian.

4. What is the connection between Noetherian rings and Noetherian modules?

A Noetherian ring is a ring in which every ideal is a Noetherian module. In other words, the ring itself is a Noetherian module over itself. This is because every ideal can be viewed as a submodule of the ring, and the ascending chain condition for ideals implies the ascending chain condition for submodules.

5. How are Noetherian rings related to Hilbert's basis theorem?

Hilbert's basis theorem states that every ideal in a polynomial ring over a field is finitely generated. This is one of the main results that characterizes Noetherian rings, as they are the rings in which every ideal is finitely generated. In fact, Hilbert's basis theorem can be viewed as a special case of the ascending chain condition for ideals in Noetherian rings.