Noetherian Rings - Dummit and Foote - Chapter 15 - Exercise 2a

In summary, the exercise in Dummit and Foote Chapter 15 is asking to show that the ring of continuous real valued functions on [0, 1] is not Noetherian by providing an infinite increasing chain of ideals. One way to do this is by taking the n'th ideal to be the set of continuous functions on [0,1] that vanish on the interval [0,1/n], or by using the principal ideal generated by the function f_n(x)=x^{1/n}. Another solution suggested involves using a principle ideal generated by the function f_n(x)=x^{1/n}.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In Dummit and Foote Chapter 15 Exercise 2(a) on page 668 reads as follows:

Show that the following ring is not Noetherian by exhibiting an explicit infinite increasing chain of ideals:

- the ring of continuous real valued functions on [0, 1]I would appreciate help on this exercise.

Peter

[This has also been posted on MHF]

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
In Dummit and Foote Chapter 15 Exercise 2(a) on page 668 reads as follows:

Show that the following ring is not Noetherian by exhibiting an explicit infinite increasing chain of ideals:

- the ring of continuous real valued functions on [0, 1]I would appreciate help on this exercise.
You could take the n'th ideal to be the set of continuous functions on [0,1] that vanish on the interval [0,1/n].

Another solution. Let the nth ideal be the principle ideal generated by the function \(\displaystyle f_n(x)=x^{1/n}\).

johng said:
Another solution. Let the nth ideal be the principal ideal generated by the function \(\displaystyle f_n(x)=x^{1/n}\).
That is the algebraist's solution, mine was the analyst's solution. (Handshake) (Smile)

I am not well-versed in abstract algebra and may not be the best person to provide a response to this content. However, I can try to explain the concept of Noetherian rings and the exercise in question to the best of my understanding.

A Noetherian ring is a commutative ring in which every ascending chain of ideals eventually stabilizes. In other words, there cannot be an infinite increasing chain of ideals in a Noetherian ring.

The exercise is asking you to show that the ring of continuous real valued functions on [0, 1] is not Noetherian by exhibiting an explicit infinite increasing chain of ideals. This means you need to find a sequence of ideals in this ring that keeps getting larger and larger without ever stabilizing.

To do this, you can consider the sequence of ideals I_n = {f in C([0,1]) | f(x) = 0 for all x in [0, 1/n]}. Here, C([0,1]) represents the ring of continuous real valued functions on [0, 1].

This sequence of ideals is infinite and increasing because I_1 is a proper subset of I_2, which is a proper subset of I_3, and so on. This sequence will never stabilize because for any natural number n, there exists a function in I_{n+1} that is not in I_n. Therefore, the ring of continuous real valued functions on [0, 1] is not Noetherian.

I hope this explanation helps. Please seek further assistance from a mathematician or an expert in abstract algebra if needed.

Related to Noetherian Rings - Dummit and Foote - Chapter 15 - Exercise 2a

1. What is a Noetherian ring?

A Noetherian ring is a commutative ring in which every ideal can be generated by a finite number of elements. This means that there are no infinite ascending chains of ideals in the ring.

2. How is the Noetherian property useful in ring theory?

The Noetherian property allows for many theorems and techniques to be applied in ring theory, making it easier to study and understand the structure of rings. It also helps in proving important results, such as the Hilbert basis theorem.

3. Can all rings be classified as Noetherian or non-Noetherian?

No, there are rings that do not fall into either category. These rings are known as non-Noetherian rings and they possess properties that are not shared by either Noetherian or non-Noetherian rings.

4. How does the Noetherian property relate to the ascending chain condition?

The Noetherian property is equivalent to the ascending chain condition, which states that every increasing sequence of ideals eventually stabilizes. This means that in a Noetherian ring, every ideal has a finite number of generators and there are no infinite increasing chains of ideals.

5. Can Noetherian rings have infinite descending chains of ideals?

Yes, Noetherian rings can have infinite descending chains of ideals. This is because the Noetherian property only applies to ascending chains of ideals and does not restrict descending chains.