Morphisms (or polynomial maps or regular maps) of algebraic sets - Dummit and Foote

In summary, Peter is seeking help understanding the reasoning and analysis behind the statements in Dummit and Foote Chapter 15, specifically in Section 15.1 on Noetherian Rings and Affine Algebraic Sets. He is particularly interested in the definition of morphisms of algebraic sets and how it leads to Theorem 6. Deveno explains that the mapping $\tilde{\varphi}$ is well-defined and gives a formal and rigorous explanation for why this is true. He also mentions the contravariant nature of $\tilde{\varphi}$ and how it relates to other mathematical concepts. Peter thanks Deveno for his help and expresses his appreciation.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am trying to gain an understanding of the basics of elementary algebraic geometry and am reading Dummit and Foote Chapter 15: Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry ...

At present I am focused on Section 15.1 Noetherian Rings and Affine Algebraic Sets ... ...

I need someone to help me to fully understand the reasoning/analysis behind the statements following the Definition of morphisms (or polynomial maps) of algebraic sets (which eventually leads to the statement of Theorem 6, Section 15.1) ... ...

On page 662 (in Section 15.1) of D&F we find the following relevant text ... :
View attachment 4770
View attachment 4771In the above text, after the Definition of morphisms of algebraic sets, we find the following:

" ... ... Thus \(\displaystyle F \circ \phi \in \mathcal{I} (V) \). It follows that \(\displaystyle \phi\) induces a well defined map from the quotient ring \(\displaystyle k[ x_1, \ ... \ ... \ , x_n ]/ \mathcal{I} (W)\) to the quotient ring \(\displaystyle k[ x_1, \ ... \ ... \ , x_n ]/ \mathcal{I} (V)\):

\(\displaystyle \tilde{ \phi } \ : \ k[W] \rightarrow k[V]\)

\(\displaystyle f \mapsto f \circ \phi \)

... ... "

My question is as follows:

Can someone please explain exactly (formally and rigorously) how the above statement follows: that is, how/why is it true?

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

*** NOTE ***

The above notes from Dummit and Foote displayed above, constitute the proof of the first part of Theorem 6, Section 15.1 which reads as follows:View attachment 4772

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is it you don't understand? The definition of the mapping $\tilde{\varphi}$, or how it is well-defined?

The well-defined issue is easier to dispatch: since $\tilde{\varphi}$ is defined on an equivalence class (coset of functions), one has to verify that:

$\tilde{\varphi}(F) = \tilde{\varphi}(G)$ if $F - G \in \mathcal{I}(W)$.

Now $\tilde{\varphi}(F) = F\circ \varphi + \mathcal{I}(V)$ and $\tilde{\varphi}(G) = G\circ \varphi + \mathcal{I}(V)$.

To assert that $\tilde{\varphi}(F) = \tilde{\varphi}(G)$ is to say that:

$\tilde{\varphi}(F) - \tilde{\varphi}(G) = 0_{k[V]} = 0 + \mathcal{I}(V) = \mathcal{I}(V)$.

Thus we seek to show that:

$F - G \in \mathcal{I}(W) \implies [ F\circ \varphi + \mathcal{I}(V)] - [G\circ \varphi + \mathcal{I}(V)] = \mathcal{I}(V)$, which is true when:

$(F \circ \varphi) - (G \circ\varphi) \in \mathcal{I}(V)$.

However, $(F \circ \varphi) - (G \circ\varphi) = (F - G)\circ \varphi$, and since

$F - G$ annihilates $W$ (which is what it MEANS to be an element of $\mathcal{I}(W)$), and $\varphi(V) \subseteq W$, it is clear that $(F-G) \circ \varphi$ annihilates $V$, that is:

$(F - G)\circ \varphi \in \mathcal{I}(V)$.

Thus it doesn't matter which "$F$" we use to define $f = F + \mathcal{I}(W)$, as $\tilde{\varphi}$ is constant on the entire coset.

The contravariant nature of $\tilde{\varphi}$ is often expressed as saying $\tilde{\varphi}(f)$ is a pullback of $f$ along $\varphi$, for just as $\varphi$ "goes forward" from $V \to W$, $\tilde{\varphi}$ "pulls back" from $k[W] \to k[V]$. This kind of construction is *very* common in mathematics; for example, in differential geometry, where one uses it to relate tangent spaces of two manifolds that have a smooth mapping between them. This kind of construction is characterized by *pre-composition*, and shows up in various disguises in many places.

Deveno said:
What is it you don't understand? The definition of the mapping $\tilde{\varphi}$, or how it is well-defined?

The well-defined issue is easier to dispatch: since $\tilde{\varphi}$ is defined on an equivalence class (coset of functions), one has to verify that:

$\tilde{\varphi}(F) = \tilde{\varphi}(G)$ if $F - G \in \mathcal{I}(W)$.

Now $\tilde{\varphi}(F) = F\circ \varphi + \mathcal{I}(V)$ and $\tilde{\varphi}(G) = G\circ \varphi + \mathcal{I}(V)$.

To assert that $\tilde{\varphi}(F) = \tilde{\varphi}(G)$ is to say that:

$\tilde{\varphi}(F) - \tilde{\varphi}(G) = 0_{k[V]} = 0 + \mathcal{I}(V) = \mathcal{I}(V)$.

Thus we seek to show that:

$F - G \in \mathcal{I}(W) \implies [ F\circ \varphi + \mathcal{I}(V)] - [G\circ \varphi + \mathcal{I}(V)] = \mathcal{I}(V)$, which is true when:

$(F \circ \varphi) - (G \circ\varphi) \in \mathcal{I}(V)$.

However, $(F \circ \varphi) - (G \circ\varphi) = (F - G)\circ \varphi$, and since

$F - G$ annihilates $W$ (which is what it MEANS to be an element of $\mathcal{I}(W)$), and $\varphi(V) \subseteq W$, it is clear that $(F-G) \circ \varphi$ annihilates $V$, that is:

$(F - G)\circ \varphi \in \mathcal{I}(V)$.

Thus it doesn't matter which "$F$" we use to define $f = F + \mathcal{I}(W)$, as $\tilde{\varphi}$ is constant on the entire coset.

The contravariant nature of $\tilde{\varphi}$ is often expressed as saying $\tilde{\varphi}(f)$ is a pullback of $f$ along $\varphi$, for just as $\varphi$ "goes forward" from $V \to W$, $\tilde{\varphi}$ "pulls back" from $k[W] \to k[V]$. This kind of construction is *very* common in mathematics; for example, in differential geometry, where one uses it to relate tangent spaces of two manifolds that have a smooth mapping between them. This kind of construction is characterized by *pre-composition*, and shows up in various disguises in many places.
Hi Deveno,

Apologies for the short absence ... back on the Internet now ...

Just reaquainting with with the theorem ... and working through your post ...

Thanks for your help ... it is much appreciated ...

Peter

Related to Morphisms (or polynomial maps or regular maps) of algebraic sets - Dummit and Foote

1. What are morphisms of algebraic sets?

Morphisms of algebraic sets are functions between algebraic sets that preserve the algebraic structure. In other words, a morphism is a mapping between two algebraic sets that preserves the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication between elements of the sets.

2. How are morphisms related to polynomial maps?

Morphisms of algebraic sets can be thought of as polynomial maps, where the inputs and outputs are algebraic sets. This means that a morphism can be represented by a polynomial function, and the properties of the polynomial will determine the properties of the morphism.

3. What is the difference between a morphism and a regular map?

A morphism is a type of regular map, but not all regular maps are morphisms. Regular maps are continuous functions between two algebraic sets, while morphisms also preserve the algebraic structure. In other words, a regular map may not necessarily preserve the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication between elements of the sets.

4. Can a morphism exist between two algebraic sets of different dimensions?

No, a morphism can only exist between two algebraic sets of the same dimension. This is because a morphism must preserve the algebraic structure, and the dimension of an algebraic set is a fundamental part of its structure.

5. What is the importance of morphisms in algebraic geometry?

Morphisms play a crucial role in algebraic geometry as they allow us to study the properties of algebraic sets in a more structured and systematic way. They provide a way to relate different algebraic sets and understand their similarities and differences. Additionally, many important concepts in algebraic geometry, such as dimension and irreducibility, can be defined in terms of morphisms.