No problem, glad I could help! :smile:

In summary, Temp0 found a solution to the homework equation that was different from the one provided in the textbook. He is unsure of why this is the case and needs help from the forum to figure out why.
Temp0

Homework Statement

In the following problem, find conditions on a and b such that the system has no solution, one solution, and infinitely many solutions.

x + by = -1
ax + 2y = 5

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, first I put the entire equation into a matrix.
[ 1 b | -1
a 2 | 5 ]
I reduce the bottom by subtracting R2 - aR1
[ 1 b | -1
0 2-ab| 5 +a ]
I then reduce the bottom again by dividing R2/(2-ab)
[ 1 b | -1
0 1 | (5+a)/(2-ab)]
I remove the b from the top by subtraction: R1 - bR2
[1 0 | -1 - b((5+a)/(2-ab))
0 1 | (5+a)/(2-ab) ]
This leaves me with the values for x and y, and for the first question I am correct in saying if ab = 2, then there is no solution as it is undefined. However, my unique solution is somehow wrong and I would like some help in determining if I made an error or I somehow didn't reduce something.

The correct unique solution is: x = (-2 - 5b)/(2-ab) y = (a+5)/(2-ab)

Also, I have no idea what finding an infinite solution means, I would really like some help on clarifying that. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Temp0! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Temp0 said:
[1 0 | -1 - b((5+a)/(2-ab))
0 1 | (5+a)/(2-ab) ]

The correct unique solution is: x = (-2 - 5b)/(2-ab) y = (a+5)/(2-ab)

That is the same as yours! :wink:
Also, I have no idea what finding an infinite solution means

Hint: if A and B are two solutions, what can you say about A - B ? :smile:

Also, I have no idea what finding an infinite solution means, I would really like some help on clarifying that. Thank you.
For example: if you are given graphs of f(x) and g(x) [neither contain discontinuities] and g(x) 's graph never "falls under" or crosses f(x) , no matter what the argument, g(x) has always higher values than f(x) and you are asked to provide solutions for g(x) > f(x) then you can say that there are infinitely many solutions. But you are dealing with an equal sign so that must mean the 2 graphs are...?

tiny-tim said:
Hi Temp0! Welcome to PF! :smile:That is the same as yours! :wink:Hint: if A and B are two solutions, what can you say about A - B ? :smile:

Hmm, thanks for the help on the infinite thing, I finally get that ^^. However, I've tried reducing and expanding my answer, but it never becomes the same as the answer in the book. Are there any hints you can give me? =D

edit: nvm, I just looked at it again and realized how to get to the answer, thanks for your help =p.

Related to No problem, glad I could help! :smile:

1. What is a matrix with 2 unknowns?

A matrix with 2 unknowns is a mathematical representation of a system of equations with two variables. It is typically written in the form of [A | b], where A is the coefficient matrix and b is the constant matrix.

2. How do you solve a matrix with 2 unknowns?

To solve a matrix with 2 unknowns, you can use a variety of methods such as Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, or matrix inversion. These methods involve manipulating the matrix to isolate the variables and solve for their values.

3. Can a matrix with 2 unknowns have multiple solutions?

Yes, a matrix with 2 unknowns can have multiple solutions. This occurs when the equations in the matrix are linearly dependent, meaning they are equivalent or can be derived from one another. In this case, there are infinite solutions that satisfy the system of equations.

4. What is the importance of a matrix with 2 unknowns in scientific research?

Matrices with 2 unknowns are commonly used in scientific research to solve systems of linear equations. They can be used to model real-world problems and find solutions that satisfy the given conditions. Matrices also have applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and economics.

5. Can a matrix with 2 unknowns have no solution?

Yes, a matrix with 2 unknowns can have no solution. This occurs when the equations in the matrix are inconsistent and cannot be satisfied by any values for the variables. Graphically, this would be represented by parallel lines that do not intersect.