Nightmare Housemates: Dealing with Alcoholic Roommates

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, this nightmare housemate was always dirty and noisy, refused to do their part to keep the apartment clean, and was completely insane.
zoobyshoe
I once shared an appartement with a guy who was a very bad alcoholic. During the days he sat around not saying much, but always seemed intensly interested if I were going out. If I walked through the living room toward the outside door, he perked up and said "On your way, are you?" I always mumbled and left. I couldn't figure why my going out interested him so much.

Anyway, the nighmare part was that toward evening he'd get his beer and start drinking. After a couple he'd start talking out loud to himself. Another, and he'd start pacing the room, talking more loudly. Eventually this monolog would turn to the subject of me. He'd pace back and forth toward the door of my room and then away from it, performing a monolog about me: what I'd said, what I did, how i was pissing him off by not sweeping the kitchen floor and using his sugar, and not talking to him. It got so that he timed it that he had something very hostile to say right when he was outside my door, and sometimes shouted it through the door at me.

Next day when he was sober I'd say:" You got really drunk last night and started yelling at me." All kind of helpless and unable to defend the way he acted he just said "Oh, don't pay any attention to me when I'm like that."

Physics news on Phys.org
Describe your nightmare housemate.

That's really weird.

I've only lived in a dorm with other people (i.e. room mates) not a full apartment, but my last room mate used to watch the history channel and discovery channel all the time - and I mean ALL THE TIME. Yes, even when shows like "World's Biggest Trucks!" repeated during the same day, even when I was sleeping.

He also laughs really loudly when reading his webcomics at 7 in the morning. One time I was sick and on antihistimines, which tend to oversensitize my eyes and ears, and after like 5 minutes of him laughing and me trying to squeeze my head between my pillow, I just screamed hysterically. It was actually kind of funny.

Yeah, I was pretty lucky in college too. My worst roommate wasn't too bad in the big scheme of things. She just didn't know how to get up and head to the shower in the morning without clunking and thunking everything, and then she'd come back and fumigate the room with her hairspray, which was what usually got me out of bed. I don't even quite know why she needed so much hairspray...it never did anything for her hair...it always looked the same to me whether she hairsprayed it or not.

But, there were enough horror stories such as Zooby's that when it came time to get my own apartment, I just found a little, cheap one, and didn't bother with roommates.

When I first moved up here to go to school I moved in residence. I thought it would be great! So convienent, close to all of my classes and cheap! Plus they were apartment style so I figured that would be way better than dorm style residence. Anyway i end up with these roommates from asia somewhere who would not speak english when I was around, glared at me all the time, and would suddenly start shooting me dirty looks and speaking in chinese or whatever the second I came out of my room. I could handle that, they don't like me and after that I didn't like them, so whatever. But they were also noisy and dirty. They would sleep all day and get mad at me if I watched tv at 3 in the afternoon because they were trying to sleep. Then they would wake up late at night and turn on their stereos and invite people over at 2 in the morning and stay up all night being loud. I don't know when they ever went to class. Even worse than that was how disgusting they were. We had a cleaning schedule so that everyone had to do their part to keep the apartment clean, only problem was that they flat out refused to do it. I couldn't even get them to take out the garbage, when the garbage got full they would just start throwing their garbage on the floor. They would leave entire plates of food out for a week at a time...I'm suprised we didn't all die of some weird disease. One time I finally got mad and asked them to clean and they completely went insane on me and told me I had no right to tell them what to do, at which point I completely lost it on them. So I basically ended up doing all of the cleaning by myself. Usually I would just finish completely cleaning the apartment, leave to go see some friends,come back an hour later and find it in a complete mess. One time they decided to bake a cake right after I finished cleaning the kitchen and I come back to fine chunks of cake all over the table and counters, and icing on the floor. I'm pretty sure they had to actually try to make it that dirty.Needless to say I didn't last very long there, I ended up getting my own apartment after two months...haha.

Last edited:
I've come home to find a stranger sleeping in my bed. My roommate said I was so rarely there he didn't figure it would be a problem.

Another time I came home to find a half of a mustard sandwich stuck to the living room wall.

You guys got it bad.

I hope I never get anyone like that when I move out.

I just plan on doing nothing literally. I will use dishes minimally so I rarely have to do them, and what not. I'm a person who would avoid to make any mess to begin with so I never have to clean.

zoobyshoe said:
Describe your nightmare housemate.
Yours is hard to beat.

We had a tenant ten years ago. This was after college for my wife and I, but before kids, so the extra room was just sitting there. The brother of a friend of a friend of mine needed a place to stay, so Eric came in.

This guy was a prize-winning passive/aggressive. He kept trying to be pals with us and act like it was still college. He tried to get us to do drinking games, wanted to have big parties, installed his loud things in the main living area etc. He never gotthe idea that he was a tenant, not a roommate.

When his idea was not accepted by us, he'd push and push until we had to reject him firmly. THen the P/A stuff started. "I didn't know you hated me so much." "I'm just trying to be friendly." "Am I really that repulsive to you?"

We finally had to say "yes, we don't like you and we want you to leave."

Once I had this crazy roommate who avoided me almost every night. I'd be laying around the house all day -- I really don't like to work -- and then kick back with a few beers in the evening. So I'd start walking around the house, thinking through a few of my personal problems out loud -- I think better out loud -- and this crazy roommate of mine would just go into his room and shut his door. Well, long story short, this guy was so nuts that he wouldn't even respond when I confronted him for using all my sugar. He didn't sweep the kitchen floor either. And he was always coming and going, coming and going, as if we had some kind of revolving door on the place. What a nightmare... I'm so glad he moved out.

- Warren

chroot said:
Once I had this crazy roommate who avoided me almost every night. I'd be laying around the house all day -- I really don't like to work -- and then kick back with a few beers in the evening. So I'd start walking around the house, thinking through a few of my personal problems out loud -- I think better out loud -- and this crazy roommate of mine would just go into his room and shut his door. Well, long story short, this guy was so nuts that he wouldn't even respond when I confronted him for using all my sugar. He didn't sweep the kitchen floor either. And he was always coming and going, coming and going, as if we had some kind of revolving door on the place. What a nightmare... I'm so glad he moved out.
Sheesh. That must have been pure hell. I think your story wins hands down.

JasonRox said:
You guys got it bad.

I hope I never get anyone like that when I move out.

I just plan on doing nothing literally. I will use dishes minimally so I rarely have to do them, and what not. I'm a person who would avoid to make any mess to begin with so I never have to clean.

The problem arises when your housemates don't clean up after themselves right away and you don't have the time to wait for them to do it.

I live in TKC, you all are my housemates. 'Nuff said.

chroot said:

- Warren

No offense, but someone walking around talking out loud is annoying.

He probably thought you were crazy and avoided you at all costs by staying in his room.

JasonRox said:
No offense, but someone walking around talking out loud is annoying.

He probably thought you were crazy and avoided you at all costs by staying in his room.

I think you missed the joke, turbo.

- Warren

chroot said:

- Warren
It's OK. I'll use his post as the premise of my next thread Nightmare Comedy Audiences.

Chi Meson said:
He never gotthe idea that he was a tenant, not a roommate.
After you kicked him out I bet he eventually rented a one or two bedroom place and tried to lure unsuspecting roomates in, where he used his clout as the lease holder to pressure them into being his buddies. Demented people are always trying to create a social life for themselves via a roomate situation. I've run into people like this several times myself, and heard many stories.

A friend of mine from home went to Syracuse and got a room off campus in a building full of students. Their landlord, who lived somewhere else in his own house, was over there a couple hours everyday going from room to room knocking on doors, trying both to be their dad and also to check and make sure nothing was amiss. He'd start asking them questions and if he saw any toehold he stand there interminably trying to give them life advise or just teach them anything random that happen to come up. My friend had a great routine about how he was force-taught how to season a cast-iron frying pan. This guys favorite refrain was "Now, a landlord is like a father..."

zoobyshoe said:
It's OK. I'll use his post as the premise of my next thread Nightmare Comedy Audiences.

:smile:

- Warren

chroot said:

- Warren

:smile:

I didn't even see that.

Good one. :biggrin:

My roommates smoke pot a few times a week in the living room so the place smells like it when my family and friends stop by. They leave pipes and makeshift bongs around the house and leave resin on the tables for days at a time. They are going to start a project in the garage over spring break where they are going to convert a 5 gallon water jug into a hooka with hoses and everything. Wow.

Smelly hippy Kimmy...ehhh gads. The house mate who thought natural human scents, were much better then washing. Untill the night of the Lysol fight, which by the way, turned her into a screaming, mouth foaming banshee. I had accidentally sprayed her dirty laundry with it, then somehow coved it with plastic.:rolleyes:

hypatia said:
Smelly hippy Kimmy...ehhh gads. The house mate who thought natural human scents, were much better then washing. Untill the night of the Lysol fight, which by the way, turned her into a screaming, mouth foaming banshee. I had accidentally sprayed her dirty laundry with it, then somehow coved it with plastic.:rolleyes:
I want to see the footage of this one.

Related to Nightmare Housemates: Dealing with Alcoholic Roommates

1. What should I do if my roommate is constantly drinking and causing problems?

If your roommate's drinking is causing problems in the household, it is important to address the issue directly with them. Have a calm and honest conversation about how their behavior is affecting you and the living situation. Offer to help them seek professional help or support groups if needed.

2. How can I protect myself and my belongings from my alcoholic roommate?

It is important to set boundaries and establish clear rules with your roommate. This may include keeping your personal belongings in your room, locking your door, or limiting their access to common areas when they are drinking. You may also want to consider getting a lock for your bedroom door if necessary.

3. What if my roommate becomes aggressive or violent when they are drunk?

If your roommate becomes aggressive or violent, it is important to prioritize your safety. Remove yourself from the situation and call for help if needed. You may also want to consider talking to your landlord or seeking legal advice if the behavior continues.

4. How can I support my roommate without enabling their alcoholism?

Supporting an alcoholic roommate can be a difficult balance. It is important to show empathy and offer resources for help, but also set boundaries and not enable their behavior. Encourage them to seek professional help and support groups, and avoid making excuses for their drinking.

5. Should I involve our landlord or other roommates in dealing with my alcoholic roommate?

If the situation becomes unmanageable and your efforts to address it with your roommate have been unsuccessful, it may be necessary to involve your landlord or other roommates. This should be a last resort and should only be done after attempting to address the issue directly with your roommate. Make sure to document any incidents and communicate calmly and clearly with all parties involved.