Nick"Nick's Pursuit of Physics: Choosing a Trade & Preparing for the Future

In summary, Nick, a 14-year-old freshman in high school, dreams of becoming a theoretical physicist after being inspired by Michio Kaku. He attends a vocational school and is struggling to choose between electronics and drafting as a trade to aid his pursuit of physics. He seeks advice on what courses to take and extracurricular activities to do in order to become the best physicist he can be. It is recommended that he focus on taking math courses such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, and also consider abstract algebra and differential geometry. He should also take as many physics courses as possible and refer to John Baez's reading list. However, it is important to note that most theoretical physicists have post-graduate degrees.
Unspaced
Hello all,

My name is Nick and I'm a 14 year old freshman in high school. Since I first heard Michio Kaku on Coast To Coast AM a few years back I've dreamed of being a physicist.

Naturally I've been into science and the sciences as my father is an enviromental science teacher at my local high school (I attend a different vocational school). But right now I've got my heart set on a theoretical physicist of some sort.

So, like I mentioned, I attend a vocational school, meaning I choose a vocation which I want to studdy and be taught for half of my school life. I'm having trouble as to what I should choose as a trade. I want to do something that could help me in my persuit of physics and right now I'm debating over electronics and drafting. Electronics is basically working with circuits, making CD players work, etc. and drafting is basically designing houses and such.

My question is which trade should I take?

Also, what else should I do in my young teenager years to help me become the best physicist I can be when I'm old enough to actually become one.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, I'm not sure that vocational school is a good place to get a background for becoming a theoretical physicist.

Basically, you should be taking as much math as you can -- especially calculus, differential equations, statistical analysis and linear algebra.

Although you're not going to get a whole lot of this at a vocational school, you may also want abstract algebra and differential geometry.

Obviously, you'll want to take as much in the physics courses as possible.

John Baez has a pretty good reading list:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/books.html

Of the choices you give, electronics is closer to physics. Most of the people who do theoretical physics have post-graduate degrees - often more than one.

Hi Nick,

It's great to hear that you have a passion for physics and are already thinking about your future career at such a young age. Pursuing a career in theoretical physics is definitely a challenging but rewarding path.

In terms of choosing a trade, I would suggest considering which one aligns more with your interests and strengths. Both electronics and drafting can have applications in the field of physics, so it ultimately depends on which one you feel more drawn to. If you enjoy working with circuits and understanding how things work, electronics may be a good fit for you. On the other hand, if you have a knack for design and enjoy creating models or blueprints, drafting may be a better choice. It's also important to keep in mind that your trade doesn't necessarily have to directly relate to physics, as long as you continue to stay curious and learn about the subject on your own.

In terms of other things you can do to prepare for a career in physics, I would recommend taking as many math and science courses as you can in high school. These subjects are the foundation of physics and will be crucial in your future studies. Additionally, participating in science fairs, attending physics-related events or workshops, and seeking out internships or research opportunities can also enhance your knowledge and skills in the field.

Most importantly, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek guidance from your teachers, mentors, and other professionals in the field. They can provide valuable insights and advice to help you on your journey towards becoming a physicist.

Best of luck to you in your pursuit of physics! Keep following your passion and working hard, and I have no doubt that you will achieve your goals.

Related to Nick"Nick's Pursuit of Physics: Choosing a Trade & Preparing for the Future

1. What inspired Nick to pursue physics as a career?

Nick has always been fascinated by the laws and principles that govern the universe. He was inspired by his high school physics teacher and decided to further explore this subject in college.

2. What trade did Nick choose to specialize in within the field of physics?

Nick chose to specialize in astrophysics, the study of celestial objects and their interactions with each other and the universe.

3. How did Nick prepare for his future career in physics?

Nick completed a bachelor's degree in physics and then went on to pursue a master's degree and a PhD in astrophysics. He also gained hands-on experience through internships and research opportunities.

4. What is a typical day like for Nick as a physicist?

A typical day for Nick involves conducting research, analyzing data, writing reports and papers, attending conferences, and collaborating with other scientists in his field.

5. What advice does Nick have for aspiring physicists?

Nick advises aspiring physicists to develop a strong foundation in mathematics, constantly seek out new knowledge and opportunities, and never give up on their dreams despite any challenges they may face.