Nice Electrostatic Experiments

In summary, Students can learn about experimenting through conducting simple electroscopes without needing expensive equipment.
Septim
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of a nice experiment that can be done in high school laboratory. It is not obligatory for them to include calculations, they just have to be easily conducted without expensive equipment and relatively safe. The main purpose is to make students learn through experiments which are interesting. Any opinion is welcome please do not hesitate to post!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There's probably some in this old but way-cool seat-of-the-pants 700 Science Experiments book:
http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/700un1.pdf

Or your can make a simple electroscope out of a jar and a couple of sheets of foil or loops of string. You need the jar to eliminate wind currents. Actually I'll bet that's in the above book someplace...

Thanks, I will have a look at the book you have mentioned.By the way making a simple electroscope is not an interesting task for students in my opinion I bet I can find something interesting on the book. Suggestions are always welcome.

Why not try this one:- (long back done by Sir Michael Faraday)
Take a bowl(approx. 30 cm in diameter) pour water halfway.Now spprinkle some cumin seeds on the water surface(to make it look beautiful you could also use colored (small)bits of paper).
Now charge an ebonite/plastic rod (by friction).
Now bring(dip) the rod near the surface of water (at the dead centre of the bowl)

Results(you already Know!):-Analogus to that done with a magnet and iron fillings.
I your students will find this one interesting.
Edit:- Oops! poppy seeds drown also Sir Faraday used cumin seeds.Charge the rods nicely.

Last edited:
Is the rod perpendiculary dipped into the water or is it held above the water in a horizontal manner? I did not understand that. Thanks for the suggestion by the way I really like it.

Related to Nice Electrostatic Experiments

What is an electrostatic experiment?

An electrostatic experiment is an investigation that involves the study of static electricity, which is the buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object. These experiments typically involve the use of materials with opposite charges, such as rubbing a balloon on hair to create static electricity.

What are some common materials used in electrostatic experiments?

Some common materials used in electrostatic experiments include balloons, wool or fur, plastic wrap, and aluminum foil. These materials are often used because they can easily become charged when rubbed against other objects.

What are the potential dangers of electrostatic experiments?

The main danger of electrostatic experiments is the possibility of electric shock. If a person becomes charged with a high amount of static electricity, they can receive a shock when they come into contact with a conductor, such as metal. It is important to take precautions, such as wearing rubber gloves, when conducting these experiments to avoid shocks.

What are some real-world applications of electrostatic experiments?

Electrostatic experiments have many real-world applications, including electrostatic precipitators used to remove particles from smokestacks, electrostatic painting techniques, and the creation of photocopiers and laser printers. They are also used in the production of certain types of electronic components.

What is the history of electrostatic experiments?

The study of static electricity dates back to ancient Greece, where philosopher Thales of Miletus observed that rubbing amber with wool could attract small objects. In the 1700s, Benjamin Franklin conducted experiments with static electricity and coined the terms "positive" and "negative" to describe different types of charges. In the 1800s, Michael Faraday and other scientists made significant discoveries about the properties of electricity and developed the first electrostatic generators.