Newton's Laws of motion -- Bicyclist pedaling up a slope

In summary: What if the bicycle had a ##100 kg## trailer attached?I solved it by just considering the rider as the free body. You see very quickly in that approach the force applied to the bike is independent of the bikes mass, and or rolling resistance. But an intuitive explanation for this is escaping me.The rider is applying a force opposite the force the bike is applying. So the net force is zero.What if the bicycle had a ##100 kg## trailer attached?The rider is applying a force opposite the force the bike is applying. So the net force is zero.
erobz said:
I just went and checked. I definitely feel tension (not compression) in my arms while seated and accelerating on my Mt. bike. I think the position you are describing is what riding at constant velocity feels like.
On average, you are at constant velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
jbriggs444 said:
On average, you are at constant velocity.
Ok, but I'm not on average at constant velocity while I'm accelerating. You are saying most of the time while riding "normally" you are at constant velocity. I say that depends on the riding you are doing. For instance, I ride downhill mountain biking ( like Red Bull Rampage ). Most of the time on a bike in that type of riding is spent accelerating. Obviously in that type of riding it's a mix of tension and compression depending on whether or not I'm descending or jumping.

erobz said:
Ok, but I'm not on average at constant velocity while I'm accelerating. You are saying most of the time while riding "normally" you are at constant velocity. I say that depends on the riding you are doing. For instance, I ride downhill mountain biking ( like Red Bull Rampage ). Most of the time on a bike in that type of riding is spent accelerating. Obviously in that type of riding it's a mix of tension and compression depending on whether or not I'm descending or jumping.
we seem to be getting further and further from the original question. How about a separate thread?

Likes SammyS
haruspex said:
we seem to be getting further and further from the original question. How about a separate thread?
No need for that, I’ll let it be.

Likes Lnewqban