New to this site, could use some advise.

• Thread starter ILoveScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Advise
In summary, the conversation is about a person wanting to learn about science and physics through reading books and watching videos. They are seeking advice on which books to read and how many books they would need to understand the subject. The conversation also touches on the idea of needing a college degree to be considered knowledgeable in a field and the importance of practical application in understanding physics. The general consensus is that while a degree may not be necessary, reading textbooks and doing problems is the best way to learn and understand physics.
ILoveScience
Hey there everyone.. I am new to this site and i was hoping to ask some questions relating to books. Hope i don't sound like a moron lol.. But here goes.

Im a 2010 high school graduate, still not in college (cant afford it :/) and i really have a passion for science. I am always trying to watch youtube videos to learn but the information i get just isn't useful. It doesn't stay in my head. I forget about it completely the next day..
Anyways, after reading i have seen information about watching not being the same as reading, when you read something it is better remembered... I completely believe this is true.. Sorry if I am ranting lol. My question is if i were to want to learn about things such as quantum physics and general relativity, what books should i get?? I understand i will need a number of books, math included, but could someone help me out with what books i need? Sorry if I am sounding like a moron, but i believe i have the passion to learn anything, no matter how hard, if i believe i will acheive...

So how many books am i expected to go through before i truly understand, i want to be able to explain the stuff to other people without looking like i don't know what I am talking about.. I am not expecting to become an Albert einstein or anything. I just want to learn what is already out there to learn... I want the same education college kids are getting for cheap pretty much.

If what i said makes no sense could anyone please ask me questions so that i can try to make myself better understandable... Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I've been on this site for less than a year, and have only been really active in physics and such for about the same amount of time. I've learned enough from here, wikipedia, and a few books to explain most of science in a general way. (Though not very well, as I am terrible at explaining things)

I've got a book called Absolutely Small that is about quantum physics that is pretty good in my opinion. That and "Why Does E-MC^2" was also a good read.

Pick a field and start pegging away at it. I have over 100 books on astronomy, astrophysics, and astrophotograpy in my library. Reading, re-reading, and comprehending them does not make me an astrophysicist in any real sense (if you regard college degrees as "real"), but I can engage any professional or advanced amateur in conversation about their specialties and interests, and can learn from them.

Turbo that's how i feel. I don't believe you need a degree in something to be considered good or intelligent at what you do. A girl could blow her professors for a degree, doesn't mean she is smart over the subject of which her degree is towards. I don't care for a degree, it would be nice i will say, but if i could learn all i want to, and keep it in my head and be able to teach someone correctly that would make me happy.
And i know ill have to read through the basics before i actually get into the deeper stuff, but that's where I am lost.. Its all so confusing, everything corresponds with one another so i don't know what to get into first? If that makes sence

ILoveScience said:
Turbo that's how i feel. I don't believe you need a degree in something to be considered good or intelligent at what you do. A girl could blow her professors for a degree, doesn't mean she is smart over the subject of which her degree is towards. I don't care for a degree, it would be nice i will say, but if i could learn all i want to, and keep it in my head and be able to teach someone correctly that would make me happy.
And i know ill have to read through the basics before i actually get into the deeper stuff, but that's where I am lost.. Its all so confusing, everything corresponds with one another so i don't know what to get into first? If that makes sence
Well, get a foundation in mathematics, geometry, trig, chemistry, and basic physics, then figure out where you want to wander. If you run into road-blocks, then you should figure out how to expand on your foundation so that you can progress. Once upon a time, leaders in scientific/mathematical fields learned from mentors/teachers and previous literature and were not conferred degrees based on how many credit-hours they could pay for and complete satisfactorily complete in an institution. You can become well-rounded and well-informed without attending a university.

Like Turbo said, a University degree isn't necessary to be a "learned" person. Going through years of college IS necessary for real work in the scientific industries, but to get a good understanding of science and physics doesn't take college. Just don't expect to solve any major problems in science or to be able to argue with crazy math posts if you don't know it!

ILoveScience said:
So how many books am i expected to go through before i truly understand, i want to be able to explain the stuff to other people without looking like i don't know what I am talking about.. I am not expecting to become an Albert einstein or anything. I just want to learn what is already out there to learn... I want the same education college kids are getting for cheap pretty much.

Read the texts college students read, it's as simple as that. The only real way to know what the hell you're talking about is to actually do physics. That means getting textbooks, going through the basics, doing hundreds if not thousands of problems over years of study. Avoid pop-science books unless you understand they're just for learning about physics and not for learning how to do physics.

A good start is the typical 3 semester introductory series of calculus based physics courses. Serway is a popular text, big fat 50 chapter text "for scientists and engineers". You also of course want to have the proper mathematical foundation (3 semester calculus after you have your proper algebra/trig/geometry texts down). From there, you can start the typical texts upper-division students use such as Griffith's E/M and his QM text along with a classical mechanics text. From there you'll want other courses as well and their respective texts.

The important part though is to actually do problems!

Penguin i was actually going to ask, are these books like actual school books? Where they have questions that you have to answer at the end of certain sections? With the answers in the back of the book to check your work??

You guys have been a huge help with your words, much appreciated!

ILoveScience said:
Hey there everyone.. I am new to this site and i was hoping to ask some questions relating to books...

Im a 2010 high school graduate, still not in college (cant afford it :/) and i really have a passion for science. I am always trying to watch youtube videos to learn but the information i get just isn't useful. It doesn't stay in my head. I forget about it completely the next day..
Anyways, after reading i have seen information about watching not being the same as reading, when you read something it is better remembered... I completely believe this is true...

Generally, it is good to try to incorporate as many of your 5 senses, as is possible (but in this field, generally you don't smell much of your work--and thank GOD for that! :biggrin:).

Learning styles vary from person to person also. I prefer to write things myself, rather than only read. Still try this anyway...

For now: continue to watch videos, and follow along making your own notes. Eventually, you will begin to realize what is important to "save," so to speak, and what isn't (that comes with time). If you really want to digest anything: speak the words aloud as you write them also (in this way you will incorporating your hand and visual, auditory, and verbal senses).

My question is if i were to want to learn about things such as quantum physics and general relativity, what books should i get?? I understand i will need a number of books, math included, but could someone help me out with what books i need?

Honestly, I would start with a good math text...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0618141804/?tag=pfamazon01-20

31d6xuHPN2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I had a Larson, Hostetler, etc. textbook myself; and I really liked it. They'll use something like this for Calculus I, II and III courses, respectively (usually just 5 chapters out of the same exact book, over each semester). For now: I think a good course of action would be to just go as far as studying the 1st 5 chapters (Limits, Basic Derivatives, and Basic Integrals). Then begin reading a General Physics book, like this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470469080/?tag=pfamazon01-20

6178Kjl1UyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I would get the "extended" version also (as above), because the last few chapters would have a little Modern Physics also to whet your appetite.

Later on, you'll have to get a more advanced math text that's specifically for Physics. In that case, I highly recommend a Mary Boas book...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471044091/?tag=pfamazon01-20

41THC4ACFTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This looks like the one I had; and it's very good. There's probably a newer edition now though.

Lastly, you might like to study a little Electronics. Electronics and it's components are the fun tools of the Physicist. You really don't have to go crazy--the General Physics book will give you a very cool and interesting discussion on basic components and circuits.

You might just order a kit from MAKERSHED though, and learn with one of those cool "Arduinos..."

http://www.makershed.com/

Anyway, as a Physics student, you will eventually have a semester or two of Electronics lab; and also a Programming class. But for now, understanding the fundamentals is of the utmost importance--so go at your own pace, and learn the fundamentals well! It's very enjoyable and you'll learn a lot more by exercising your creativity (that's why I recommend the maker projects and "Arduino" in particular.

Also, I love Bre Pettis and Colin Cunningham videos for very fun and insightful learning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYH9dGl4gUE

Anyway, I believe that this all is a very strong foundation.

So how many books am i expected to go through before i truly understand, i want to be able to explain the stuff to other people without looking like i don't know what I am talking about...

No one can say--there is always more to learn.

Anyway, don't be self-conscious. In this field--PHYSICS in particular--you will meet a lot of braggarts. Be authentic always in spite of that; and DO NOT succumb to petty pseudo-intellectual battles. Instead, work hard on yourself (that's the most important thing). Be open and ask questions of those in the know; but know people also for what they are sometimes--and be prepared for a lot of bravado and bluffing (sometimes even from your professors).

The trouble is, with academia: there are far too many people stumbling about, absolutely obsessed with protecting their hurt egos. Really they ought to try spending less time measuring themselves, and more time on actually acquiring substance. SO NEVER BE FAKE! If you don't know everything: congratulations--and welcome to the club!

Im not expecting to become an Albert einstein or anything. I just want to learn what is already out there to learn... I want the same education college kids are getting for cheap pretty much.

It is a noble undertaking, what you are attempting to do; so kudos to you. But do plan on going to college anyway, eventually. Community Colleges are usually very affordable (as cheap as $50 a credit, or $150 for a typical 3-credit course); so why not look into that?

Once you are set up there, it is usually fairly easily to transition to a State School for your remaining two years of undergrad. I believe that this is more possible than you realize. It sucks to have to take out loans of course; but you might also be eligible for grants.

If you are female and interested in pursuing a science, that has a lot of advantages in the way of potential grants. But even if you are male: you can definitely get financial aid if you do not have an undergrad degree yet.

The best place to start is the FAFSA (if you currently reside in the USA at least; and possibly also if you are willing to become a student here):

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

They do have deadlines. But I would attempt to fill-out the online form anyway--even if it is for 2012 instead of Fall 2011.

These books that you see I've posted above: these are the sort of books you'd find in a college bookstore. For some reason, I've never really had luck getting them at the likes of Barnes and Noble or Borders, in person. Order online if necessary.

Best of luck! :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Francis... You are AWESOME! Thanks for your understanding, and for your suggestions, they really do mean a lot!

ILoveScience said:
Hope i don't sound like a moron lol.. But here goes.

Nope.. not at all.

ILoveScience said:
Anyways, after reading i have seen information about watching not being the same as reading, when you read something it is better remembered... I completely believe this is true..

That's probably true, to some degree, but not always. Docos are often good because they offer animated examples of what they're explaining, which can be better than some diagrams. But docos fall down in only giving you an overview, where you might want more of the detail.

For many, the better way of learning is in doing, whether that's taking part in actual science work, or even just taking notes on what you read. I find that if I take notes, my retention doubles (or more) but if I don't take notes, I often only remember that I've read about that somewhere but can't recall where or what.. lol.

But you should look at your personal learning style. Here's a http://www.educationplanner.org/education_planner/discovering_article.asp?articleName=Learning_Styles_Quiz&sponsor=2859" where you can find out the best style of learning that suits you personally - visual, auditory or kinesthetic. Or Google "learning styles" for more info.

ILoveScience said:
Francis... You are AWESOME! Thanks for your understanding, and for your suggestions, they really do mean a lot!
Don't mention it. Glad to be of service. :blushing:

Seriously, do consider Community College at least. Sometimes it's more bang for your buck.

Welcome to the forums ILS! :smile:

How come no one asked you the question yet?!

drizzle said:
How come no one asked you the question yet?!

It's a shame isn't it?? People are giving helpful responses instead of a proper initiation... :biggrin:

So... ILS... What's your favorite fish??

micromass said:
It's a shame isn't it?? People are giving helpful responses instead of a proper initiation... :biggrin:

So... ILS... What's your favorite fish??
*say tuna, say tuna, say tuna*
o:)

Desmonde said:
Hi All,
I am a new member of this forum and I a very excited as I found lots of interesting threats here. I will try to be active here and hoping to learn a lot from physics forums.

Hey, Desmonde.
Welcome to PF - if you browse through the forums you'll find a rad amount of information.I've never done this before so I'm hoping I am doing it right, but... uh... what is your favourite fish?

Disconnected said:
*say tuna, say tuna, say tuna*
o:)
I smell something fishy...
Desmonde said:
I found lots of interesting threats here.
lol
Do mean threads, or fishslapping threats?

FtlIsAwesome said:
Do mean threads, or fishslapping threats?

HAH! I totally missed that typo! Too funny!

Come on, tell us the fish! :biggrin: I want to slap somebody...

Let the sisters handle the slapping. Or else!... I'll slap you with a nano fish, micro. :biggrin:

drizzle said:
Let the sisters handle the slapping. Or else!... I'll slap you with a nano fish, micro. :biggrin:
Like that 600# flash-froze bluefin tuna you used last time?

:smile: You spoil it now.
...Man, I got to think of other ways. :biggrin:

How did the fishslapping tradition start anyway?

FtlIsAwesome said:

The Tunaslap War of 1807. So tragic...*sniff*.

Drakkith said:
Yes, and only more wars were to come afterwards.

1862-1871 -- United Slappers Civil War
1922-1925 -- Sea War I (formerly called The Great Whale War)
1941-1948 -- Sea War II, the first use of the Fishbomb
1952-1975 -- Cold Fish War
1975-1980 -- End of Cold Fish War and start of Sea War III between the United Slappers and the Salmon Union, massive use of Fishbombs
1980 -- United Slappers defeat Salmon Union, beginning of reconstruction
2000-Present -- United Slappers take action against the terrorist group Al-Kingfish, Iswim pursues Fishbomb capability

FtlIsAwesome said:
Yes, and only more wars were to come afterwards.

1862-1871 -- United Slappers Civil War
1922-1925 -- Sea War I (formerly called The Great Whale War)
1941-1948 -- Sea War II, the first use of the Fishbomb
1952-1975 -- Cold Fish War
1975-1980 -- End of Cold Fish War and start of Sea War III between the United Slappers and the Salmon Union, massive use of Fishbombs
1980 -- United Slappers defeat Salmon Union, beginning of reconstruction
2000-Present -- United Slappers take action against the terrorist group Al-Kingfish, Iswim pursues Fishbomb capability

Hey, buddy - this isn't the Lame Jokes thread :biggrin:!

lisab said:

Lies!

Drakkith said:
Lies!

Fight between Drakkith and Lisab! Take out yer fishes everybody :biggrin:

lisab said:
Point being?

:biggrin:

FtlIsAwesome said:

Drakkith said:

Actually there have been paleo fish slapping wars with hired fish.

1zce53q.jpg

Last edited:
andre said:
actually there have been paleo fish slapping wars with hired fish.

1zce53q.jpg

holy s*&£ i just read that exact asterix comic!

I'm thinking we need a thread for new members posting for the first time. Something like "PF newbie initiation (name your fish, if you dare)".

And yea. The PF sisterhood should be the fish providers. Maybe drizzle would be a good choice as the DFS (Director of Fish Slapping).

dlgoff said:
I'm thinking we need a thread for new members posting for the first time. Something like "PF newbie initiation (name your fish, if you dare)".

And it should be required to post your fish in that thread, otherwise they won't be able to post :biggrin:

I second drizzle as DFS :smile: they should make a medal for that...

dlgoff said:
"PF newbie initiation (name your fish, if you dare)".

Well, I know my opinion doesn't count for very much at this stage, but I approve of this idea.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of this site?</h2><p>The purpose of this site is to provide a platform for individuals to seek and share advice on various topics and connect with others who have similar interests or experiences.</p><h2>2. How do I navigate the site?</h2><p>To navigate the site, you can use the search bar to look for specific topics or use the categories and tags to browse through different posts. You can also use the menu bar at the top of the page to access different sections of the site.</p><h2>3. How can I ask for advice on this site?</h2><p>To ask for advice, you can create a new post by clicking on the "New Post" button. Make sure to provide a clear and specific title and include details about your situation or question in the body of the post. You can also add relevant tags to help others find your post.</p><h2>4. Can I respond to other people's posts?</h2><p>Yes, you can respond to other people's posts by clicking on the "Reply" button. Make sure to provide helpful and respectful responses. You can also upvote or downvote responses to show your agreement or disagreement with them.</p><h2>5. Is there a way to connect with other users on this site?</h2><p>Yes, you can connect with other users by following them or sending them a direct message. You can also join groups or participate in discussions to interact with others who share similar interests or experiences.</p>

Related to New to this site, could use some advise.

1. What is the purpose of this site?

The purpose of this site is to provide a platform for individuals to seek and share advice on various topics and connect with others who have similar interests or experiences.

2. How do I navigate the site?

To navigate the site, you can use the search bar to look for specific topics or use the categories and tags to browse through different posts. You can also use the menu bar at the top of the page to access different sections of the site.

3. How can I ask for advice on this site?

To ask for advice, you can create a new post by clicking on the "New Post" button. Make sure to provide a clear and specific title and include details about your situation or question in the body of the post. You can also add relevant tags to help others find your post.

4. Can I respond to other people's posts?

Yes, you can respond to other people's posts by clicking on the "Reply" button. Make sure to provide helpful and respectful responses. You can also upvote or downvote responses to show your agreement or disagreement with them.

5. Is there a way to connect with other users on this site?

Yes, you can connect with other users by following them or sending them a direct message. You can also join groups or participate in discussions to interact with others who share similar interests or experiences.