New engineering graduate student seeking advice

In summary, a new engineering graduate student is struggling in an advanced internal combustion engine class due to a lack of preparation. They have tried using books and seeking tutoring, but have not found a suitable solution. The student is considering withdrawing from the course to protect their GPA. Another person has offered to share notes from a similar course.
Bernkastel
Hello,

I am a new engineering graduate student who did my undergraduate study in mathematics. I am now a few weeks into my first semester and I am in an advanced internal combustion engine class which I am sorely under prepared for.

I have tried going to my school's library and checking out several books on introductory chemical combustion, but these books either assume slightly more than what I already know about chemistry or start from a point in particle and quantum physics which makes it difficult to follow to the point they actually start talking about chemical combustion.

I have tried talking to my school's academic support center for tutoring on the subject, but they don't have anyone who knows chemical combustion. I'm seeking a solution of either a good book with problems I can work as well as a way to check the accuracy of my answers, or a tutoring solution. I really don't want to have to withdraw from this course to preserve my GPA, but I will if I feel it has come to a point that I feel my GPA is threatened. Any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bernkastel-

Send me a PM. I have some notes from a senior undergrad IC engines course that you may find useful. Include the name of the textbook you are using.

Related to New engineering graduate student seeking advice

1. What skills should a new engineering graduate student focus on developing?

A new engineering graduate student should focus on developing strong technical skills, including proficiency in coding, data analysis, and problem-solving. Additionally, they should develop soft skills such as communication, teamwork, and time management.

2. How can a new engineering graduate student stand out in the job market?

A new engineering graduate student can stand out in the job market by gaining practical experience through internships or co-op programs, networking with professionals in the field, and showcasing their projects or research work through portfolios or presentations.

3. What are some tips for balancing coursework and research as a graduate student?

Some tips for balancing coursework and research as a graduate student include prioritizing tasks, setting realistic goals and deadlines, seeking help from professors or peers when needed, and maintaining a healthy work-life balance.

4. How important is it to publish research as a graduate student?

Publishing research as a graduate student is highly beneficial as it demonstrates strong research skills and can enhance job prospects. It also contributes to the advancement of knowledge in the field and can lead to collaborations and networking opportunities.

5. What are some tips for networking and building professional relationships as a graduate student?

Some tips for networking and building professional relationships as a graduate student include attending conferences and events in the field, joining professional organizations, utilizing social media platforms, and reaching out to alumni or professionals in the industry for informational interviews or mentorship opportunities.