Neil deGrass Tyson "Orbital Erosion"

• Thread starter mgkii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    orbit
In summary, Neil deGrasse Tyson mentioned in a lecture that two black holes orbiting each other will eventually spiral into each other due to orbital erosion caused by gravitational waves. While this may seem contradictory to classical mechanics, it is supported by general relativity and has been observed in systems like pulsar-neutron star binaries. This phenomenon is considered strong evidence for gravitational waves. You can learn more about it through the provided links.
mgkii
I listened to one of NDT's lectures on a podcast this morning and he made a passing reference to two black holes orbiting each other that would eventually "spiral into each other due to orbital erosion" (his words)

I'm familiar with orbital decay for satellites in orbit around the Earth due to friction, emf etc; and I'm familiar with planet and moon orbits expanding from tidal forces, energy lost to gravitational waves etc. However I'm struggling to understand Neil's reference to orbital erosion in relation to Black holes (although from the context of his comment I don't think his comments were specific to Black holes), my understanding until now has been that two bodies orbiting each other would be stable unless other forces act inn them?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what Neil may have been referring to?

Thanks
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Two bodies orbiting each other will be stable forever in classical mechanics, but when you introduce general relativity, the picture changes somewhat. Gravitational waves will carry away energy/angular momentum from the system, resulting in the two bodies spiralling into each other. In the Earth-Sun system, this effect is absolutely negligible (1/300th of a hydrogen atom each year), but in orbiting black holes or neutron stars, this effect can be significant. In fact, observations the orbital decay of a pulsar-neutron star binary is considered some of the strongest evidence for gravitational waves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSR_B1913+16

You can read more about how gravitational waves result in orbital decay here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave#Orbital_decay_from_gravitational_radiation

Fantastic reply. Many thanks indeed.

Likes e.bar.goum

Related to Neil deGrass Tyson "Orbital Erosion"

What is orbital erosion?

Orbital erosion refers to the gradual decrease in altitude of an object in orbit around a larger body, due to atmospheric drag or other external forces.

Who is Neil deGrasse Tyson?

Neil deGrasse Tyson is an American astrophysicist, science communicator, and author. He is known for his work in popularizing science and astronomy, and for his role as the director of the Hayden Planetarium in New York City.

How does orbital erosion affect satellites?

Orbital erosion can cause satellites to lose altitude and eventually fall to Earth, making it necessary to periodically boost their orbit with thrusters. It can also affect the accuracy of satellite data and communication signals.

What causes orbital erosion?

Orbital erosion is primarily caused by atmospheric drag, which is the resistance that an object experiences when moving through a fluid medium like the Earth's atmosphere. Other factors such as solar radiation and gravitational perturbations from other bodies can also contribute to orbital erosion.

Can orbital erosion be prevented?

In some cases, orbital erosion can be mitigated by designing satellites with more efficient propulsion systems or using altitude control techniques. However, it is a natural process that cannot be completely prevented, and eventually all satellites will experience some degree of orbital erosion.