Need to decide: Math or Physics

• Thread starter blaughli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the student is currently studying physics but is considering switching to a math degree and incorporating computer science. They are interested in the life sciences and see the importance of probability and statistics in research. They are also debating between the theoretical and computational branches of these fields and are seeking advice from experienced individuals. Ultimately, the student is interested in finding a job that combines their interests in life sciences, computing, and the ocean.
blaughli
I just finished my first semester in an MS program in Physics. I have no physics background, so I'm taking upper division undergrad courses. I took Analytical Mechanics, Theoretical Physics, Physical Chemistry, and Probability. I took PChem because of my interest in the life sciences and eventually using physics to head in that direction. I took Probability because I interned last summer on a research project and realized that Probability and Statistics are immensely important in research (data analysis,...).

My issue is that I was more interested in the Probability class than anything else. The other classes seemed to be more based in observation and problem solving, while probability was based in proof. The theoretical physics class was cool too; it introduced some pretty powerful tools and concepts that will be useful down the road. Again, though, the toughest parts were the math heavy parts, like solving coupled oscillators and doing Fourier analysis (not to mention the 3D Calc E&M stuff, which was not actually so bad for me). The teacher told us that if we take the General Relativity class offered at our school we'll see a ton of linear algebra. So... if physics gets tough when it starts relying on some pretty high level math, does it make sense to go straight for a math degree and hope that I can pick up the physics later, either in a PhD program or... somewhere else?

I am also greatly interested in computer science, and I have been thinking that studying CS along with my main field (Physics, or Math if I switch) will be the ticket to a real job once I'm out of school. So... what's more powerful, math and CS or physics and CS?

I'm not trying to start a debate about which field is more important or fundamental; I'm just trying to get some opinions from more experienced folks who have struggled with the same things. Will math be enlightening but useless in the end, since it's the engineers who get the jobs (and maybe the physicists after them)? Or could it somehow lead to the kind of job I've imagined enjoying, which involves the life sciences, computing, and the ocean?!

Physics news on Phys.org
if physics gets tough when it starts relying on some pretty high level math, does it make sense to go straight for a math degree and hope that I can pick up the physics later, either in a PhD program or... somewhere else?

No. You'll find that if you started to focus on mathematics instead of Physics, a lot of the mathematics you learn will not be useful. It's very easy to get loss in the math world and prove very general ideas, when in physics you don't need general ideas, but rather how things relate to observable physical constraints. Thankfully, learning techniques on how to solve physics problems is a lot easier than learning why those techniques work.

It seems that for any science, there is a branch called "mathematical + <science name>". This branch is mainly concerned with developing mathematics which is applicaple to the science in question, and finding new ways to apply math to solve problems there. Needless to say, this is inherently a research-heavy theoretical field. The more applied counterpart is usually called "computational + <science name>".

I think mathematics is more useful to CS than physics. Theoretical computer science can make use of some heavy math.

I think that if you are interested in multiple fields, finding some interdisiplinary field which incorporates bioth is usually possible. Here are some links that you may want to check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_and_theoretical_biology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theoretical_computer_science

Computational <science> is a very applied direction (mostly synonymous with "applied <science>"). Mathematical <science> is just a sneaky way to be a mathematician in another department; probably one would need all the usual math grad school courses to be any good at it.

I have studied both math and physics at the grad level, and they are completely different styles of problem solving. Math is about truth and structure (proofs). Physics is about reality and models (solutions). From this student's comments, it sounds like they enjoy the math perspective more. Maybe "applied math" would be the best choice here since I believe it a nearly entirely computational field, it would go nicely with CS, and would give options later on for both directions.

I understand your dilemma and it's a common one among students in the sciences. Both math and physics are incredibly important fields, and they often go hand in hand. In fact, many physicists would argue that you can't truly understand physics without a strong foundation in mathematics.

That being said, it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you're more drawn to the theoretical and mathematical aspects of physics, then pursuing a math degree may be a better fit for you. However, if you're interested in applying physics to real-world problems and making tangible contributions to the field, then sticking with your MS in Physics may be the way to go.

In terms of job opportunities, both math and physics can lead to a wide range of career paths. With a math degree, you could work in fields such as finance, data analysis, or cryptography. With a physics degree, you could work in research, engineering, or even in the life sciences as you mentioned.

As for your interest in computer science, it's definitely a valuable skill to have in today's job market. Both math and physics require strong computer skills, so it could be beneficial to continue studying CS alongside your main field.

Ultimately, my advice would be to follow your passions and pursue the field that truly excites you. Don't worry too much about job prospects at this stage, as both math and physics offer a wide range of opportunities. And who knows, maybe you can find a way to combine math, physics, and CS in your future career!

Related to Need to decide: Math or Physics

1. What is the difference between math and physics?

Math and physics are closely related fields, but there are some key differences. Math is the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes, and how they relate to each other. Physics, on the other hand, is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. While math is used to describe and model the physical world, physics is focused on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

2. Which one is more challenging, math or physics?

This is a subjective question as difficulty can vary for each individual. However, in general, both math and physics require a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking. Math may be perceived as more challenging because it involves abstract concepts and complex equations, while physics involves applying these concepts to real-world situations. Ultimately, it depends on the individual's strengths and interests.

3. Can I study both math and physics?

Yes! In fact, many students choose to study both math and physics as they are highly complementary subjects. A strong understanding of math is essential for studying physics, and many of the mathematical concepts and techniques used in physics are also applicable to other fields such as engineering or computer science. If you have an interest in both math and physics, it is definitely possible to pursue both.

4. Which subject would be more beneficial for a career in science or technology?

Both math and physics are highly beneficial for a career in science or technology. Math is essential for many scientific and technological fields, such as computer science, engineering, and data analysis. Physics provides a strong foundation for understanding the physical world and is fundamental to many scientific disciplines, including astronomy, chemistry, and engineering. Depending on your specific interests and career goals, either subject could be a valuable choice.

5. How can I decide which subject is right for me?

The best way to decide between math and physics is to explore both subjects and see which one interests you more. Take some introductory courses or read books on both topics to get a better understanding of the subjects and their applications. Also, consider your strengths and career goals. If you enjoy problem-solving and have an interest in the physical world, physics may be a better fit for you. If you have a strong aptitude for numbers and enjoy abstract thinking, math could be the right choice. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your interests and goals.