Need some help with TENSION (problems 3 & 4 in the pdf)

• Thread starter silentcascade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pdf Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving forces and equilibrium. In Problem 3, there is a staging supporting two painters and the reading on the left scale is given. The goal is to find the reading on the right scale. In Problem 4, a weight is suspended by two ropes and the goal is to find the tension in each rope. The conversation provides guidance and equations to solve these problems.
silentcascade

Homework Statement

PROBLEM 3: A staging that weighs 290 N supports two painters, one 430 N and the other 490 N. The reading in the left scale is Fl = 500 N. What is the reading Fr in the right hand
scale? Further description is the picture in the pdf.

PROBLEM 4:So basically in problem 4, there is a 56 N weight suspended in the air by two ropes. One of the ropes is slanted at 53 degrees to the ceiling, and the other rope is perpendicular to the wall. Both intersect and join at a point and then descend vertically as one rope attached to the weight. If you need any more visual descriptions, a picture is included in the pdf.

Homework Equations

PROBLEM 3: soh cah toa (sin=opposite/hypotenuse, cos=adjacent/hypotenuse, and tangent=opposite/adjacent)

PROBLEM 4: soh cah toa (sin=opposite/hypotenuse, cos=adjacent/hypotenuse, and tangent=opposite/adjacent)

The Attempt at a Solution

PROBLEM 3: So I knew the total downward force of the staging and the painters combined: 430 N+490 N+290 N= 1210 N. And if the reading on the scale was 500 N on the left side (assuming 430 N is also on the left side), then that means that the upward force from the right rope was 220 N. I don't know how to solve this.

PROBLEM 4: I basically extended the vertical rope until it hit the ceiling, so the section between the horizontal and the diagonal ropes was split into a right triangle and a rectangle. I figured that the theta of the right triangle was 37 (90-53) and then used sin (37) to get 0.6018150231520482799179770004414898414256377. This gave me the ratio of two lengths that I didn't know. I then moved on to find the forces. So if the force on the block was 56 N, that mean that the adjacent of the right triangle would have to be equal to that because the block was in equilibrium. Now i just don't know what to do next.

Thank you for reading! Oh, please help, by the way.

Attachments

• HW #10 Tensions.pdf
    26.5 KB · Views: 562
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

For PROBLEM 3, you are on the right track. You correctly found the total downward force of the staging and painters combined, which is 1210 N. Since the reading on the left scale is 500 N, that means the upward force from the right rope must be 710 N (1210 N - 500 N). This is because the total upward force must be equal to the total downward force for the staging to be in equilibrium.

Now, to find the reading on the right scale, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. The right rope forms a right triangle with the vertical and horizontal ropes. The vertical rope has a length of 710 N (upward force from the right rope) and the horizontal rope has a length of 430 N (weight of one painter). You can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the right rope, which will give you the reading on the right scale.

For PROBLEM 4, you are also on the right track. You correctly found the ratio of the two lengths using sin(37). Now, you can use this ratio to find the lengths of the two sections of the horizontal rope. The length of the horizontal rope must be equal to the weight of the block (56 N). Once you have the lengths of the two sections of the horizontal rope, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the tension in each rope (since they form right triangles with the vertical rope). The sum of the tensions in the two ropes must be equal to the weight of the block for it to be in equilibrium.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need further clarification or assistance. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Need some help with TENSION (problems 3 & 4 in the pdf)

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is being pulled or stretched. It is a result of the interaction between two or more objects and can be described as the pulling force acting along the length of the object.

2. How is tension calculated?

Tension is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This is known as the weight of the object. Tension can also be calculated using the formula T=mg, where T is tension, m is mass, and g is acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the difference between tension and compression?

Tension and compression are both forces that act on objects, but they have opposite effects. Tension is a pulling force that stretches an object, while compression is a pushing force that compresses or squeezes an object. Both forces can cause changes in the shape or size of an object.

4. How does tension affect objects?

Tension can have various effects on objects, depending on the strength of the force and the properties of the object. In some cases, tension can cause an object to deform or stretch, while in others it can cause an object to break or snap. The effects of tension also depend on the material of the object and its ability to withstand forces.

5. How can tension be applied in real-life situations?

Tension can be applied in many real-life situations, such as when lifting a heavy object with a rope or when stretching a rubber band. Tension is also commonly used in engineering and construction to support structures and hold objects in place. Additionally, tension can be applied in sports, such as in rock climbing or bungee jumping, to hold a person's weight and keep them safe.