How Does Tension Affect a Climbing Man on a Frictionless Ladder?

• Thread starter firefly.ember
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, torque is the rotational force applied to an object and is relevant in the ladder problem as the force causing the ladder to rotate around a fixed point. The weight of the ladder affects torque by increasing or decreasing the force applied to the point of rotation. The distance between the ladder and the wall, or the lever arm, also affects torque by increasing or decreasing the distance from the point of rotation to the force. To calculate torque in the ladder problem, you will need to know the weight of the ladder, distance from the ladder to the wall, and the angle at which the ladder is leaning. To prevent the ladder from tipping over due to torque, you can adjust the weight distribution or distance between the ladder and the wall.
firefly.ember
IMG.jpg

Homework Statement

A 75 kg man climbs up a 120 N uniform ladder of length 4 m. The ladder rests on a frictionless wall and a frictionless floor, however the lower end of the ladder is fastened to the wall by a horizontal rope which can withstand a maximum tension of 400 N.

Find
a) The tension in this rope when the man is one third up the ladder.
b) The maximum distance (d) that the man can climb before the rope breaks.

Given:
Fg man: 735 N
Fg ladder: 120 N
l (length) : 4 m

Homework Equations

∑ τorque
∑ Fx
∑ Fy

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew all the forces acting on the ladder and came up with a torque equation but I'm having a hard time dealing with the normal forces and possibly some angles.

∑ τorque = -COS 37 Fg man (d) - COS 37 Fg ladder (l/2) + SIN 53 T (l/3) + SIN 53 n1 (l)
∑ τorque = 586.9 N d -191.7 N + 1.06 T + 3.19 n1 = 0

∑ Fx = -n1 + T = 0
∑ Fy = n2 = Fg man + Fg ladder

Much help with be appreciated. :D
Please provide some detail and way to solve the problem.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi firefly.ember! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
firefly.ember said:
∑ τorque = -COS 37 Fg man (d) - COS 37 Fg ladder (l/2) + SIN 53 T (l/3) + SIN 53 n1 (l)
∑ τorque = 586.9 N d -191.7 N + 1.06 T + 3.19 n1 = 0

how did you get both T and N1 in the torque equation? :confused:

T=n1 so your Torque equation only has one variable. I think your lever arm for T is incorrect, it is .15 m from the ground so you have to account for the distance from where the ladder rests on the ground. Check the direction of the torque caused by T and the angle between the forces caused by the ladder and man perpendicular to the ladder, I think it is Cos 53 rather than cos 37. What do you think?

You are finding torque about what point?

Looking at individual terms in your expression for torque, it looks like you used a different point for each term.

I would find it about the point at which the ladder contacts the wall.

Last edited:
I'm summing the moments where the ladder touches the ground.

RTW69 said:
I'm summing the moments where the ladder touches the ground.
RTW69,

That's fine. I was aiming my comments at OP (firefly.ember). Your comments appear to be on target.

Let's see if firefly.ember replies before we do much more.

Related to How Does Tension Affect a Climbing Man on a Frictionless Ladder?

1. What is torque in relation to the ladder problem?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force that is applied to an object. In the ladder problem, it refers to the force that causes the ladder to rotate around a fixed point.

2. How does the weight of the ladder affect the torque?

The weight of the ladder affects the torque by increasing or decreasing the force applied to the point of rotation. A heavier ladder will create more torque, while a lighter ladder will create less torque.

3. How does the distance between the ladder and the wall affect the torque?

The distance between the ladder and the wall, also known as the lever arm, affects the torque by increasing or decreasing the distance from the point of rotation to the force. The longer the lever arm, the more torque will be produced.

4. How can I calculate the torque in the ladder problem?

To calculate the torque in the ladder problem, you will need to know the weight of the ladder, the distance from the ladder to the wall, and the angle at which the ladder is leaning. You can then use the formula torque = force x distance to calculate the torque.

5. How can I prevent the ladder from tipping over due to torque?

To prevent the ladder from tipping over, you can increase the weight of the base of the ladder or decrease the weight of the top of the ladder. You can also increase the distance between the ladder and the wall, or decrease the angle at which the ladder is leaning.