Calculating Tension in an Inclined Plane Problem

In summary, by using trigonometry and the equation for sum of forces, the tension in the rope necessary to pull a 1200-N go-cart up a 25 degree incline at a constant speed is 515 N, taking into account the angle of 10 degrees between the rope and the horizontal. Neglecting frictional effects, this tension will keep the cart moving at a constant speed.
BrainMan
Problem: a 1200-N go-cart is being pulled up a 25 degree incline by a rope that makes an angle of 35 degrees with the horizontal. Neglecting all frictional effects, determine the tension in the rope necessary to pull the cart up the incline at a constant speed

Relevant equations:
Sum of the forces= 0

Attempt: The first thing I did was find the force necessary to pull the cart at a constant speed parallel to the horizontal so sin 25= x/1200 so x= 507.14. Then I treated that number like one of the sides of a right triangle and did Cos 35= 507.14/x and got x= 618.46. The correct answer is 515 N

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you treated it like the rope was at an angle of 35 degrees relative to the cart. Actually it is only 10 degrees.

Ok I see my mistake. Thanks!

Related to Calculating Tension in an Inclined Plane Problem

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat surface that is at an angle to the ground. It is commonly used to move objects from a lower to a higher position or vice versa with less force.

2. How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by decreasing the amount of force needed to move an object by spreading it out over a longer distance. This is due to the fact that the inclined plane increases the distance an object needs to travel compared to a straight vertical path.

3. What is the formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane is MA = length of incline/height of incline. This means that the longer the incline, the greater the mechanical advantage, and the easier it is to move an object.

4. How does friction affect the efficiency of an inclined plane?

Friction can decrease the efficiency of an inclined plane as it can counteract the force applied to an object, making it harder to move. This is why it is important to minimize friction when using an inclined plane, for example by using a smooth, lubricated surface.

5. What are some real-life examples of inclined planes?

Inclined planes can be found in many everyday objects, such as ramps, stairs, and escalators. They are also used in construction, such as in the form of roads on steep hills, and in transportation, such as roller coasters. Inclined planes are also used in agriculture, for example in terraced farming, and in recreational activities, such as in ski slopes.