Need help with Star Polaris (altitude and Azimuth)

• Thread starter Confused_Star
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary: Why? The North Star is on the celestial equator, so it would be at the same azimuth regardless of your latitude.
Confused_Star

Homework Statement

The star that I am looking for is Polaris. I Need to know the azimuth and altitude of the star polaris for a 2 hour period checking it ever fifteen minutes. I am in Middle Tennesse. Tonight (09/6/08) I come up with an azimuth of 20 degrees and the altitude was 77-78 Degrees. Can someone tell me if this sounds right. Also what is the reason the star did not change? And if I was to look at the same star tomorrow night at the same time would its position be different or the same and why?...and the same goes for if a month from now would it be the same or different and why?...this would really help me...I will take anything i can get!

Confused_Star

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever seen long exposure picture of a night sky, with stars making circles? Like here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/devries.sandermarijn/OtherStuff#5147494361094525170

That's because the Earth is revolving. Why circles are larger and smaller? Polaris is close to the center of the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stars appear to move in circles because, of course, the Earth turns! As the Earth turns the stars appear to rotate in circles whose center is the line through the Earth's axis. Polaris happens to be very close to that line. It is not exactly on that line but it is very close to it. Thus, while it does move, it moves in very small circles. Its position does not change much.

I hoped OP will find it out by himself...

Polaris will be straight up at zenith if you were at the north pole (90o altitude) and at 0o altitude at the eqator. How far up will it be at your latitude? (check a map)

Another name for Polaris is the North Star. What azimuth value would you expect from something due north?

Related to Need help with Star Polaris (altitude and Azimuth)

1. What is the altitude of Star Polaris?

The altitude of Star Polaris, or the angle it appears above the horizon, varies depending on the observer's location. However, it is always located at a declination of approximately 90 degrees, making its altitude at the North Pole 90 degrees and at the equator 0 degrees.

2. How do I calculate the azimuth of Star Polaris?

The azimuth of Star Polaris, or the angle it appears from due north, can be calculated using the observer's latitude and the star's declination. The formula is: azimuth = arctan(sin(declination) / (cos(latitude) * tan(declination) - sin(latitude) * cos(declination))).

3. Why is Star Polaris important for navigation?

Star Polaris is the brightest star in the constellation Ursa Minor and is commonly used as a navigational tool. It is located close to the north celestial pole, making it a reliable reference point for determining direction. In the Northern Hemisphere, it can be used to find true north and guide travelers in the right direction.

4. How can I locate Star Polaris in the night sky?

Star Polaris is located in the constellation Ursa Minor, also known as the Little Dipper. It can be found by drawing a line from the two stars at the end of the Big Dipper's bowl and extending it about five times the distance between those two stars. Alternatively, you can use a star chart or a stargazing app to help you locate it.

5. Can Star Polaris be seen from anywhere on Earth?

No, Star Polaris cannot be seen from the Southern Hemisphere as it is located close to the north celestial pole. It can only be viewed from latitudes above the equator, with its highest altitude occurring at the North Pole.