Need Help Star Polaris (azimuth and altitude)

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion of a user in locating the star Polaris in Middle Tennessee and finding its azimuth and altitude. The user was initially mistaken and later corrected the position of the star. It is also mentioned that Polaris, being the north star, remains in the same position with slight variations.
Confused_Star
The star that I am looking for is Polaris. I Need to know the azimuth and altitude of the star polaris for a 2 hour period checking it ever fifteen minutes. I am in Middle Tennesse. Tonight (09/6/08) I come up with an azimuth of 20 degrees and the altitude was 77-78 Degrees. Can someone tell me if this sounds right. Also what is the reason the star did not change? And if I was to look at the same star tomorrow night at the same time would its position be different or the same and why?...and the same goes for if a month from now would it be the same or different and why?...this would really help me...I will take anything i can get!

Confused_Star

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Confused_Star said:
The star that I am looking for is Polaris. I Need to know the azimuth and altitude of the star polaris for a 2 hour period checking it ever fifteen minutes. I am in Middle Tennesse. Tonight (09/6/08) I come up with an azimuth of 20 degrees and the altitude was 77-78 Degrees. Can someone tell me if this sounds right.

Hi Confused_Star :confused: ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

hmm … in Tennessee, the altitude of Polaris (in the little bear) should be less than 40º …

you got the wrong star! :redface:

Have another go tonight! :smile:

And the azimuth should be 0. It's Polaris - the north star. By definition, it is always in the same place (plus or minus a half degree).

Related to Need Help Star Polaris (azimuth and altitude)

What is the Star Polaris?

The Star Polaris, also known as the North Star, is the brightest star in the constellation Ursa Minor. It is located almost exactly at the north celestial pole, making it a useful navigational tool for travelers.

How do I determine the azimuth and altitude of the Star Polaris?

The azimuth of a star is its position along the horizon, measured in degrees clockwise from due north. The altitude is the angle between the horizon and the star, measured in degrees. To determine the azimuth and altitude of the Star Polaris, you will need a compass and an inclinometer (or a protractor and a ruler). First, find the north horizon with the compass and then measure the angle between the horizon and the Star Polaris using the inclinometer or protractor. This will give you the azimuth and altitude of the Star Polaris.

Why is the Star Polaris important for navigation?

The Star Polaris is important for navigation because it is located almost exactly at the north celestial pole, making it a reliable and constant point of reference for travelers. By determining its azimuth and altitude, navigators can easily find their direction and location.

How does the altitude of the Star Polaris change based on location?

The altitude of the Star Polaris changes based on location because it is located at the north celestial pole, which is the point in the sky directly above the Earth's north pole. As you move closer to the north pole, the altitude of the Star Polaris will increase. Conversely, as you move away from the north pole, the altitude of the Star Polaris will decrease.

How can I use the Star Polaris to find my latitude?

The altitude of the Star Polaris is equal to the observer's latitude. This means that by measuring the altitude of the Star Polaris, you can determine your latitude. For example, if the Star Polaris has an altitude of 40 degrees, then you are located at 40 degrees latitude. This method is known as celestial navigation and has been used by sailors and explorers for centuries.