Virial Theorem for an expanding Star Cluster

• Thread starter Barbequeman
  • Start date
In summary, the Virial Theorem for an expanding star cluster states that the total kinetic energy of the cluster is equal to half of the gravitational potential energy. This theorem is used to understand the dynamics of star clusters and their expansion over time. It also helps in determining the mass of the cluster and the gravitational interactions between its members. By analyzing the velocity dispersion and size of the cluster, astronomers can apply the Virial Theorem to gain insights into the formation and evolution of star clusters.
Barbequeman
Good morning

I have a certain problem to find the answer to a problem with a question for my "homework" it contains the virial theorem for an unrotating and in the equilibrium state star cluster which is not contracting, instead it is expanding. therefore we need to calculate the kinetic energy of the stars in this system and the total energy of this system. I know we need to use the simplest form of the virial theorem 2K+U=0 because it is unrotating and in equilibrium.

We now have the radius of a sphere of finite radius and density r_c, the mass of the gas which is M_g which is given by M_g = f*M_star where M_star is the total mass of the stars in the cluster. My problem is now to plug it into make sense out of it ... I resolved everything in our course notes but there it seems I´m pretty much stuck ... We are therefore looking for the kinetic energy of the system in terms of r_c, f and M_star and the total energy of the system.

It would be very nice to get some help in this case ... because I cannot see the answer.

Best wishes

BBQman

Physics news on Phys.org
Barbequeman said:
Good morning

I have a certain problem to find the answer to a problem with a question for my "homework" it contains the virial theorem for an unrotating and in the equilibrium state star cluster which is not contracting, instead it is expanding. therefore we need to calculate the kinetic energy of the stars in this system and the total energy of this system. I know we need to use the simplest form of the virial theorem 2K+U=0 because it is unrotating and in equilibrium.

We now have the radius of a sphere of finite radius and density r_c, the mass of the gas which is M_g which is given by M_g = f*M_star where M_star is the total mass of the stars in the cluster. My problem is now to plug it into make sense out of it ... I resolved everything in our course notes but there it seems I´m pretty much stuck ... We are therefore looking for the kinetic energy of the system in terms of r_c, f and M_star and the total energy of the system.

It would be very nice to get some help in this case ... because I cannot see the answer.

Best wishes

BBQman
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Please post your schoolwork problem in the Homework Help, Introductory Physics forum. Please fill out the sections for the Problem Statement and Relevant Equations, and then show your work toward a solution. It also helps if you can post your math using LaTeX (see the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window. If your terms and equations are simple enough in this problem, you may be able to just use standard text formatting. But as your math posts get more advanced in future threads, please learn basic LaTeX to make them easier to read and quote.

Enjoy PF! :smile: