Need Help with Fourier Coefficients for 1-t Function?

In summary, the conversation was about a math problem that involved finding the value of a specific integral. The person seeking help had attempted the problem but made errors in their integration. The expert pointed out the mistakes and helped clarify some concepts. Eventually, the person was able to correct their integration and solve the problem.
TheBigDig

Homework Statement

[/B]
I am looking for help with part (d) of this question
5bdd37a7f76ed036ac58da9e96f81bbf.png

2. Homework Equations
3d897f3c764d9eac7086188e1f12bdb1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted going through the integral taking L = 4 and t0 = -2. I was able to solve for a0 but I keep having the integrate by parts on this one. I've tried it out twice and messed up. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TBD,

Well, it's nice to tell us you have attempted, but the idea is that you post your work and then we can comment, hint, etc.

You haven't told us what ##L## represents. Half period or full period? And your half range formula needs to be consistent with your choice. Also, in half range expansions, you would normally integrate from ##0## to half a period.

TheBigDig said:
I keep having the integrate by parts on this one
Can't be right. Show us.

BvU said:
Can't be right. Show us.
And you'd be right.

LCKurtz said:
You haven't told us what ##L## represents. Half period or full period? And your half range formula needs to be consistent with your choice. Also, in half range expansions, you would normally integrate from ##0## to half a period.

Apologies for not being more clear. L represents the fundamental period of the function. In this case L = 4 because f(t+4) = f(t).

Sorry for not posting my workings but as it happens they were pretty much useless (I will do this in future though). I ended up splitting the integral up into 4 parts: $$ \frac{1}{2} \int_{-2}^{-1}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt + \frac{1}{2} \int_{-1}^{0}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt + \frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{1}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt + \frac{1}{2} \int_{1}^{2}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt $$
Since everything else goes to #0# we only need to consider the integral between -1 and 1. The integral from -1 to 1 is equivalent to twice the integral from 0 to 1:
$$ \frac{1}{2} \int_{-1}^{1}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2})dt = 2*\frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{1}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt $$and because the values of x are positive, the function ##1-|x| = 1-x## meaning we only have to integrate that and not a nasty ass modulus. In the end I got an answer of
##a_n = \frac{4}{\pi^2 n^2}##

TheBigDig said:
And you'd be right.
Apologies for not being more clear. L represents the fundamental period of the function. In this case L = 4 because f(t+4) = f(t).

Sorry for not posting my workings but as it happens they were pretty much useless (I will do this in future though). I ended up splitting the integral up into 4 parts: $$ \frac{1}{2} \int_{-2}^{-1}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt + \frac{1}{2} \int_{-1}^{0}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt + \frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{1}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt + \frac{1}{2} \int_{1}^{2}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt $$
Since everything else goes to #0# we only need to consider the integral between -1 and 1. The integral from -1 to 1 is equivalent to twice the integral from 0 to 1:
$$ \frac{1}{2} \int_{-1}^{1}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2})dt = 2*\frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{1}f(t) cos(\frac{\pi n t}{2}) dt $$and because the values of x are positive, the function ##1-|x| = 1-x## meaning we only have to integrate that and not a nasty ass modulus. In the end I got an answer of
##a_n = \frac{4}{\pi^2 n^2}##
Your last integral is correct. But you have made a mistake in your integration because it doesn't give you ##a_n = \frac{4}{\pi^2 n^2}##. All I can suggest is for you to recheck your integration since you haven't shown your steps. Also, you will need to calculate ##a_0## separately.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Your last integral is correct. But you have made a mistake in your integration because it doesn't give you ##a_n = \frac{4}{\pi^2 n^2}##. All I can suggest is for you to recheck your integration since you haven't shown your steps. Also, you will need to calculate ##a_0## separately.
Okay, no problem. I am right in saying ##1-|x| = 1-x## though amn't I? It's similar to an example our professor gave us which is how I made the leap. Probably just made some small error somewhere in the integration. I did calculate ##a_0## seperately and got ##\frac{1}{2}##.

TheBigDig said:
Okay, no problem. I am right in saying ##1-|x| = 1-x## though amn't I?

Yes. As I said earlier, your last integral is correct with ##f(t) = 1-t##.

It's similar to an example our professor gave us which is how I made the leap. Probably just made some small error somewhere in the integration. I did calculate ##a_0## seperately and got ##\frac{1}{2}##.

You should get ##a_0 =\frac 1 4##. And your answer for ##a_n## should have ##\cos(\frac{n\pi} 2)## involved in its formula.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Yes. As I said earlier, your last integral is correct with ##f(t) = 1-t##.
You should get ##a_0 =\frac 1 4##. And your answer for ##a_n## should have ##\cos(\frac{n\pi} 2)## involved in its formula.

Okay must have made some massive integration errors. At least I know I have the integral right and that's half the battle :D! Thanks for your comments

Related to Need Help with Fourier Coefficients for 1-t Function?

1. What is a Fourier coefficient?

A Fourier coefficient is a mathematical value that represents the contribution of a specific frequency component to a given waveform. It is used in the field of signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals in the time and frequency domains.

2. How do you calculate Fourier coefficients?

Fourier coefficients can be calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the signal with respect to time and multiplying it by a complex exponential function. Alternatively, they can also be calculated using Fourier transform methods, such as the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) or fast Fourier transform (FFT).

3. Why are Fourier coefficients important?

Fourier coefficients are important because they allow us to break down complex signals into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate them. They are also used in many applications, such as audio and image processing, data compression, and solving differential equations.

4. What is the relationship between Fourier coefficients and Fourier series?

Fourier coefficients are used to calculate the Fourier series, which is a representation of a periodic signal as a sum of sinusoidal functions. The Fourier series uses the Fourier coefficients to determine the amplitude and phase of each frequency component in the signal.

5. How are Fourier coefficients used in Fourier transforms?

Fourier coefficients are used in Fourier transforms to convert a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain. This allows us to analyze the signal in terms of its frequency components and perform operations such as filtering, noise removal, and spectral analysis.