Need help with elastic/ballon vehicle project

In summary, the task at hand is to design a vehicle using only elastics and/or balloons as a source of energy, with a maximum material cost of $20. The vehicle must perform a full 180 degree turn between zone 1 and 2 on a land zone, without any other specified requirements. Some potential ideas for achieving this hairpin turn include using an axle and steering system with the elastic, or implementing a system of gears or an electromagnet and capacitor. However, all of these potential solutions may be complicated. Suggestions and hints are welcome.
Hyperfluxe
I need to design a a vehicle using only elastics and/or balloons as a source of energy, and the cost of the overall material must not exceed $20. Now, I am not asking you guys to do the work for me, but I need ideas because there is a catch. The vehicle must do a hairpin turn at a certain point: here is the figure of the path.
rz7aF.png

The vehicle needs to perform a full 180 degree turn between zone 1 and 2, but I just can't figure out how...any ideas or hints would be appreciated. This might not be the right forum for this, if so please let me know. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any other requirements for the other zones? And this would be a land vehicle, correct?

No other requirements and yes it's a land zone, on a table.

I would try wrapping the elastic around an axle, and find the point at which the car will be at the turning point. At this point in the elastic have a way for the force provided by the elastic switch directions to a steering system, and then back to the original direction. I'm trying to think of how you could do this mechanically, but haven't figured out an easy way to do it yet. I've thought of a system of gears, with which at one period of one of the gears, it would change the direction of the force and then revert to the original direction. This seems like it may be complicated. You could also use an electromagnet and a capacitor that is charged by the motion of the elastic and is triggered when it reached a certain charge, which would be the point of the turn, but that would be even more complicated. Just a couple ideas.

I am happy to help you with your elastic/balloon vehicle project. Designing a vehicle using only elastics and balloons as a source of energy can be a challenging but fun task. I understand that you are looking for ideas and hints to help you achieve a hairpin turn at a specific point in your vehicle's path.

Firstly, it is important to understand the basic principles of elasticity and how it can be used to power a vehicle. Elastic potential energy is stored in the stretched elastic bands and can be converted into kinetic energy to move the vehicle. The key is to find the right balance between the elasticity of the bands and the weight of the vehicle.

One potential idea for your vehicle design could be to use two sets of elastic bands, one set on each side of the vehicle. These bands can be stretched in opposite directions to create a twisting force, which can help the vehicle make the hairpin turn. You can also experiment with different lengths and strengths of the elastic bands to find the optimal combination for your vehicle.

Another idea could be to use balloons as a source of propulsion. By inflating the balloons and then releasing them, you can create a burst of energy that can help the vehicle turn. You can also try attaching the balloons to different parts of the vehicle to see which configuration works best for the hairpin turn.

In addition to these ideas, it is important to consider the design and weight distribution of your vehicle. A lighter and more aerodynamic design can help the vehicle turn more easily. You can also try adding small wheels or rollers to the bottom of your vehicle to reduce friction and improve its movement.

I hope these suggestions have given you some ideas to work with. Remember to keep experimenting and tweaking your design until you find the perfect solution. Good luck with your project!

Related to Need help with elastic/ballon vehicle project

1. What is the purpose of the elastic/balloon vehicle project?

The purpose of the elastic/balloon vehicle project is to design and build a vehicle that can move using only the power of an elastic band or a balloon. This project helps students understand the principles of potential and kinetic energy, as well as the importance of design and engineering in creating functional vehicles.

2. What materials are needed for the elastic/balloon vehicle project?

The materials needed for this project may vary, but generally you will need a few basic items such as cardboard or foam board, straws, rubber bands or balloons, wooden skewers, tape, and scissors. You may also need additional materials depending on your design and specific requirements of the project.

3. How do I make my elastic/balloon vehicle move?

To make your elastic/balloon vehicle move, you will need to create a mechanism that allows the elastic band or balloon to release its energy and propel the vehicle forward. This can be achieved by attaching the elastic band or balloon to a pulley system, using a lever or catapult mechanism, or by creating a wind-up mechanism. Experiment with different designs to find the most efficient way to make your vehicle move.

4. What are some tips for improving the performance of my elastic/balloon vehicle?

There are a few ways you can improve the performance of your elastic/balloon vehicle. Firstly, make sure your design is aerodynamic and lightweight to reduce friction and drag. You can also experiment with different types of elastic bands or balloons to find the one that provides the most power. Additionally, try adjusting the size and shape of your wheels to maximize the distance your vehicle can travel.

5. Can I use other sources of energy for my vehicle?

While the elastic/balloon vehicle project specifically focuses on using elastic bands or balloons as the main source of energy, you can certainly explore other sources as well. For example, you could incorporate solar panels or batteries to power a motor, or use a chemical reaction to create propulsion. Just make sure to follow the guidelines and objectives of your project when experimenting with different energy sources.