Need help - Force required for accelerating vehicle

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force required to accelerate a vehicle up to a certain speed over a given amount of time. It involves finding the rolling resistance force and the force required to accelerate the vehicle. The correct equations and units are discussed and the final result is 164.75 Newtons.
Mew
Hello,
I would need some guidance to calculate the force required to accelerate a vehicle up to a certain speed over given amount of time. This might seem simple but I am not sure if I am on the right track anymore. I did some online searching and I couldn't really understand it.

1. Homework Statement

The vehicle has a mass of 250 Kg and uses 4 rubber tires which have a rolling coefficient of 0.02.
The vehicle must reach 100 km/h 60 seconds after start from 0 km/h (stillstand) on a even plane.

We will ignore the effect of aerodynamic drag to keep things easy for starters.

Homework Equations

Fr=c*m
F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not have a solution but I would say:

1) Calculate force required to overcome rolling resistance with given tires.
Fr=c*m
Fr=0.02*250 Kg
Fr=5 N

So the rolling resistance will be 5 N with tires of 0.02 coefficient ?

2) Calculate the force required to accelerate vehicle of 250 Kg to 100 km/h in 60 seconds from standstill on an even plane.
This is where I can't figure out the correct formula to use since I have to take into account the acceleration over a given period of time.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Brgds
Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
Mew said:
Hello,
I would need some guidance to calculate the force required to accelerate a vehicle up to a certain speed over given amount of time. This might seem simple but I am not sure if I am on the right track anymore. I did some online searching and I couldn't really understand it.

1. Homework Statement

The vehicle has a mass of 250 Kg and uses 4 rubber tires which have a rolling coefficient of 0.02.
The vehicle must reach 100 km/h 60 seconds after start from 0 km/h (stillstand) on a even plane.

We will ignore the effect of aerodynamic drag to keep things easy for starters.

Homework Equations

Fr=c*m
F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not have a solution but I would say:

1) Calculate force required to overcome rolling resistance with given tires.
Fr=c*m
Fr=0.02*250 Kg
Fr=5 N

So the rolling resistance will be 5 N with tires of 0.02 coefficient ?
How'd you get an answer in Newtons from 0.02*250 kg?

2) Calculate the force required to accelerate vehicle of 250 Kg to 100 km/h in 60 seconds from standstill on an even plane.
This is where I can't figure out the correct formula to use since I have to take into account the acceleration over a given period of time.
You wrote the equation you need above: F = ma. What does F represent? (Hint: it's not the force you're looking for.) What's the acceleration of the car?

Here my idea (I need to claim that I am in high school my idea can be wrong)
Thing this way there's four tires each tire will cary quarter mass of car and so resistance force will depend it.5 N is true but I didnt understand that's the "total" resistance or one tire's resistance.The other thing use ##x=1/2at^2## equation it comes from differantiation.If you differantiate both side respect to t you get ##dx/dt=at## , ##v=at##.
Make km/h to m/sc then write down the equation then find a.If you interest my idea reply me and I can help you.

You don't give the value for local gravity rate (g), you can use 9.81 (m/s)/s, it won't be far away
Id use SI units, so 100 km/h = 27.778 m/s
Assuming a constant accelerating force value makes the problem simpler and is probably what is implied in the question, its safe also to assume that the weight distribution is equal.
The net rolling resistance force (N) for all the tyres combined will be : 250 * g * 0.02
(you can split the weight if you like then calculate each wheel individually, then add the 4 results, but the answer will be the same)

A good starting point might be calculating the acceleration rate required from the given data (Newtons rules of motion), and then the force required to produce this rate of acceleration (as you stated, F = m*a)

Mew said:
Fr=c*m
As vela has hinted, that equation is wrong. There's something missing.
dean barry said:
The net rolling resistance force (N) for all the tyres combined will be :...
Vela's hint, and pointing out the incorrect quoted equation, should be enough as a first response. We should give the OP a chance to supply the right equation.

Thank you for your answers !

@vela
I am sure that I messed up the Fr=c*m equation. To have a result in Newton I need to account for the gravity of 9.81 m/s^2 present. Wiki calls the equation Fr=c*Fn where Fn is normal force.
I think this should be correct:

Fr = 0.02*(250 kg*9.81 m/s^2)
Fr = 0.02*(2452.5)
Fr = 49.05 N

I found a site that explains the F=m*a equation in an easier way and now I understand that I have to include acceleration in m/s^2 for the equation to work.
The required acceleration should then be calculated with this equation a = delta v / delta t , is this correct ? Your acceleration hint pointed me in the right way.

If this is correct it should be like this:

delta v = 100km/h converted to m/s = 27.77 m/s
delta t = 60 seconds

a = delta v / delta t
a = 27.77 m/s / 60 s
a = 0.4628 m/s^2

Now F=m*a makes sense too.

F = m * a
F = 250 kg * 0.4628 m/s^2
F = 115.70 N

Then the total force required to accelerate this vehicle will be 115.70 N + 49.05 N = 164.75 N

@RyanH42
I think the 5 N for the rolling resistance I calculated were wrong since I did not account for gravity.

@dean barry
Yes, weight distribution should be equal or as equal as possible, buts let's assume it is equal for the sake of simplicity.

Mew said:
I think the 5 N for the rolling resistance I calculated were wrong since I did not account for gravity.
You are right friction force is true its 49.05 N.
Your equations and idea is right you find the answer.

Related to Need help - Force required for accelerating vehicle

1. What is the formula for calculating the force required to accelerate a vehicle?

The formula for calculating force required for accelerating a vehicle is F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the vehicle in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. How do factors such as air resistance and friction affect the force required for accelerating a vehicle?

Air resistance and friction act as opposing forces that require more energy to overcome, thus increasing the force required for acceleration. This is why vehicles with streamlined shapes and smoother surfaces tend to require less force to accelerate.

3. Can you provide an example calculation for determining the force required to accelerate a vehicle?

Sure, let's say we have a car with a mass of 1000 kg and we want to accelerate it from 0 to 60 km/h (16.67 m/s) in 10 seconds. The acceleration would be (16.67 m/s - 0 m/s) / 10 s = 1.667 m/s². Plugging this into the formula F = m x a, we get F = 1000 kg x 1.667 m/s² = 1667 N. Therefore, 1667 Newtons of force are required to accelerate the car to 60 km/h in 10 seconds.

4. Is the force required for acceleration the same as the force required to maintain a constant speed?

No, the force required for acceleration is only needed to overcome the inertia of the vehicle and increase its speed. Once the vehicle is at a constant speed, the force required to maintain that speed is equal to the force of air resistance and friction acting against the vehicle.

5. How can we reduce the force required for accelerating a vehicle?

There are a few ways to reduce the force required for acceleration:
1. Reduce the mass of the vehicle by removing unnecessary weight.
2. Improve the aerodynamics of the vehicle to reduce air resistance.
3. Increase the power and efficiency of the engine.
4. Use a higher gear ratio to distribute the force of acceleration over a longer period of time.
5. Drive at a constant speed to minimize the need for acceleration.