Need help with a centripetal force question.

In summary, a centripetal force is a force that pulls an object towards the center of a circle, keeping it in circular motion. The formula for calculating centripetal force is Fc = mv^2/r, and some examples of this force in everyday life include cars going around curves, satellites orbiting the Earth, and water staying in a bucket when swung in a circular motion. Centripetal force is often caused by gravity, as seen with satellites orbiting the Earth. The direction of centripetal force always points towards the center of the circle, either provided by a string or by the larger object's gravitational pull.
sens

Homework Statement

media%2F3b2%2F3b287040-68ea-4c63-a733-e37f7edfa549%2Fphpfk0q1Y.png

Homework Equations

f = mg
N = mw^2R

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this method and answer correct? The answer in my solution sheet is different so I'm wondering where i went wrong

media%2Fe5f%2Fe5f3ab52-02ad-4de5-a10e-f229b2bfbe42%2Fphpl1TAku.png

Physics news on Phys.org
sens said:

Homework Statement

media%2F3b2%2F3b287040-68ea-4c63-a733-e37f7edfa549%2Fphpfk0q1Y.png

Homework Equations

f = mg
N = mw^2R

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this method and answer correct? The answer in my solution sheet is different so I'm wondering where i went wrong

media%2Fe5f%2Fe5f3ab52-02ad-4de5-a10e-f229b2bfbe42%2Fphpl1TAku.png
Your work all looks correct to me, except that you do not need the trailing 0 in the answer.

Related to Need help with a centripetal force question.

1. What is a centripetal force?

A centripetal force is a force that acts on an object in circular motion, pulling it towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular path instead of moving in a straight line.

2. How do you calculate centripetal force?

The formula for centripetal force is Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the force that keeps a car moving in a circular path around a curve, the force that keeps a satellite in orbit around the Earth, and the force that keeps water in a bucket when it is swung in a circular motion.

4. How does centripetal force relate to gravity?

Centripetal force is often caused by gravity, as seen in the example of a satellite orbiting the Earth. The gravitational force acts as the centripetal force, pulling the satellite towards the center of the Earth.

5. How does the direction of centripetal force change in different situations?

The direction of centripetal force always points towards the center of the circle. In some cases, this force may be provided by a string, in which case it will pull towards the center. In other cases, such as with gravity, the force will always be directed towards the center of the larger object.