Centripetal force throughout a vertical circle

In summary, the discussion revolves around the question of where the centripetal force is greatest in vertical circular motion. One person argues that the force is greatest at the bottom due to the highest velocity, while another argues that it depends on the presence of gravity and the speed at different points. They also point out that the answer provided by the teacher may be incorrect. Ultimately, it is determined that the centripetal force is always constant and is made up of the vector sum of the tension in the string and gravity. The disagreement stems from the assumption of constant speed in the motion.
Matthew_B

Homework Statement

In what position in vertical circular motion is the centripetal force the greatest?
Top, Bottom, Left, or Right

Homework Equations

Can someone explain how Fc is greatest at the top?

The Attempt at a Solution

I had reasoned that since centripetal acceleration which I will assign to a is equal to v^2/r and as a result of the velocity being greatest at the bottom the centripetal acceleration (a) will also be the greatest at the bottom
Since the formula for centripetal force is Fc= ma and the mass remains constant I said that Fc will be the greatest where the centripetal acceleration (a) will be the greatest which is the bottom.
When I received my test back I was told that the centripetal force is greatest at the top rather than the bottom can someone please explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is ill posed as it is not stated what velocity the circular motion has. If it is just subject to gravity and a constraining force, the correct answer is at the bottom.

One could also ask where the constraining force is the greatest (with constant speed or with speed given by motion in a gravitational field - in both cases the answer is at the bottom).

Orodruin said:
The question is ill posed as it is not stated what velocity the circular motion has. If it is just subject to gravity and a constraining force, the correct answer is at the bottom.

One could also ask where the constraining force is the greatest (with constant speed or with speed given by motion in a gravitational field - in both cases the answer is at the bottom).
The problem from the test had no mention of gravity or the speed at any of the given points, however I assumed that gravity is present and the velocity is changing since the that is the type of problems we have covered in my class. Do you think then that it was indeed a problem with the key? Thank you for responding to my post also.

Matthew_B said:
The problem from the test had no mention of gravity or the speed at any of the given points, however I assumed that gravity is present and the velocity is changing since the that is the type of problems we have covered in my class. Do you think then that it was indeed a problem with the key? Thank you for responding to my post also.

I wouldn't worry about it. Whoever set the test probably got their calculations mixed up.

My point is, regardless of whatever reasonable assumption you make about the velocity, the centripetal force will be greater at the bottom. The answer provided by your teacher is then simply wrong.

Orodruin said:
My point is, regardless of whatever reasonable assumption you make about the velocity, the centripetal force will be greater at the bottom. The answer provided by your teacher is then simply wrong.
Aright thanks for the reply

Hang on a moment. I think you are confusing the centripetal force with the tension in the string. The centripetal force is always constant. The tension in the string will vary but not the centripetal force.

The centripetal force Fc is always mv^2/r that's made up of the vector sum of the tension in the string and gravity.

Last edited:
CWatters said:
Hang on a moment. I think you are confusing the centripetal force with the tension in the string. The centripetal force is always constant. The tension in the string will vary but not the centripetal force.

The centripetal force Fc is always mv^2/r that's made up of the vector sum of the tension in the string and gravity.
He is not confusing them. You are making the assumption that the motion is with constant speed, which clearly the OP does not.

Orodruin said:
He is not confusing them. You are making the assumption that the motion is with constant speed, which clearly the OP does not.
You're right I missed that.

1. What is centripetal force throughout a vertical circle?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. When an object moves in a vertical circle, the direction of centripetal force changes constantly, always pointing towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force calculated in a vertical circle?

The formula for calculating centripetal force in a vertical circle is Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What factors affect the centripetal force in a vertical circle?

The centripetal force in a vertical circle is affected by the mass of the object, the velocity of the object, and the radius of the circle. The greater the mass and velocity, or the smaller the radius, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep the object moving in a circular path.

4. How does changing the velocity affect centripetal force in a vertical circle?

According to the formula Fc = mv²/r, the centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the velocity. This means that as the velocity increases, the centripetal force needed to keep the object in a circular path also increases.

5. What happens to centripetal force if the radius of the circle changes in a vertical circle?

If the radius of the circle changes, the centripetal force also changes. As the radius decreases, the centripetal force increases, and vice versa. This is because the centripetal force is inversely proportional to the radius, according to the formula Fc = mv²/r.