Need help explaining this Centripetal force problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of centripetal force in a circular motion and how it relates to the force of gravity and tension. It is explained that the force of gravity needs to be broken into two components, one being centripetal, in order for the mass to maintain a circular motion. The equation T + mgcos(60) is used to represent this relationship, although the same result can also be found using mgsin(30) + 20. The angle of the force of gravity and the string or velocity determines which component is used in the calculation.
Lori

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-9_14-49-25.png

Homework Equations

T = mv^2/r
Fc = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm aware that at the bottom of this motion, that the tension force is greater than the weight. And that the tension force at the top is weaker so we added T + mg = mv^2/R. for th bottom, it's T-mg = mv^2/R

Why is the centripetal force on the sides, in this example, just T + mgcos(60)? Can someone explain how this is the case

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-9_14-49-25.png
    upload_2017-12-9_14-49-25.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 997
Physics news on Phys.org
You should write one equation describing this motion. Keeping in mind that in order for the mass to be circling as shown the net force on the mass must always be m v^2/r, write the equation accordingly. Then you will have T(θ) for any θ. But you need a second equation to get v. To obtain v you need to use the additional info given to you: T(30°) and v(30°).

Likes Lori
Hey Lori,

The force of gravity is not in the same direction as the required centripetal force.
So we break up the force of gravity into 2 components, one that is centripetal, and one that is parallel with the motion.
The force of tension and the component of gravity that is centripetal must add up to the required centripetal force ##\frac{mv^2}{r}##.
The component of gravity that is parallel with the motion is responsible for increasing the speed.

Likes Lori
I like Serena said:
Hey Lori,

The force of gravity is not in the same direction as the required centripetal force.
So we break up the force of gravity into 2 components, one that is centripetal, and one that is parallel with the motion.
The force of tension and the component of gravity that is centripetal must add up to the required centripetal force ##\frac{mv^2}{r}##.
The component of gravity that is parallel with the motion is responsible for increasing the speed.
thanks, this make sense! I guess i never had to break force of gravity into components for the top and the bottom motion on a circle cause force of gravity is already vertical with centripetal force. Never had a problem like this until now.

Likes I like Serena
I like Serena said:
Hey Lori,

I have one question though. I found the same answer using mgsin30 +20 = mv^2/R since Fg is in the direction of centripetal force and T force is given in direction of Fc already. But why is the work shown in this problem mgcos(60) ? Isn't this the direction of gravity vertically?

Lori said:
I have one question though. I found the same answer using mgsin30 +20 = mv^2/R since Fg is in the direction of centripetal force and T force is given in direction of Fc already. But why is the work shown in this problem mgcos(60) ? Isn't this the direction of gravity vertically?
Don't we have that sin 30o=cos 60o?

And yes, Fg is always vertically.
The angle of Fg with the string is 60o, therefore we get Fg cos 60o as the centripetal component.
Alternatively, the angle of Fg with the velocity is 30o, therefore the centripetal component is also Fg sin 30o, which is the same.
It all depends on which triangle we pick to calculate the centripetal component.

Likes Lori

Related to Need help explaining this Centripetal force problem

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is necessary to keep the object moving in a curved path instead of flying off in a straight line.

2. How does centripetal force work?

Centripetal force is a result of the object's inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion. The force is directed towards the center of the circle, perpendicular to the velocity of the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = (mv²)/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

4. How does centripetal force relate to circular motion?

Centripetal force is necessary for an object to maintain circular motion. It keeps the object moving in a curved path and prevents it from flying off in a straight line.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the rotation of the Earth around the Sun, the motion of a car around a curve, and the spinning of a washing machine during the rinse cycle.