Need help understanding an aspect of undetermined coeff's

In summary: Therefore, it is not sufficient to use (D+Ex)\cos{3x} + (F+Gx)\sin{3x} and assume that D and F will be zero.
kostoglotov
8TOXi9t.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/8TOXi9t.png

I am comfortable with the need to multiply the polynomial in front of [itex]e^{2x}[/itex] by [itex]x^3[/itex], that makes perfect sense in terms of what the text has already said about how no term in the particular solution should duplicate a term in the complementary solution, and that itself is logical in terms of the linear independence of the solutions.

What I don't fully understand is the need to multiply the polynomials in front of the trig functions by [itex]x[/itex].

[itex](D+Ex)\cos{3x} + (F+Gx)\sin{3x}[/itex] already has non-duplicated terms in it, ie, [itex]Ex\cos{3x}[/itex] and [itex]Gx\sin{3x}[/itex].

Why wouldn't it be sufficient to simply use [itex](D+Ex)\cos{3x} + (F+Gx)\sin{3x}[/itex] and assume that D and F will be zero or else absorbed by linearity into the undetermined constant coefficients of the corresponding trig functions in the complementary solution?

I have of course tried this, and it turns out that indeed the [itex]x\cos{3x}[/itex] and [itex]x\sin{3x}[/itex] terms cancel out when substituted back into the original differential equation, which is

FLRpzcr.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/FLRpzcr.png

I've subbed the trial solution [itex](D+Ex)\cos{3x} + (F+Gx)\sin{3x}[/itex] into [itex](D^2+9)y[/itex] (the factor in the diff eq that produces the trig components of the RHS), and I can see how in this instance the [itex]x\cos{3x}[/itex] and [itex]x\sin{3x}[/itex] terms cancel out, leaving no [itex]x\sin{3x}[/itex] term.

I have come to agree with the insufficiency of [itex](D+Ex)\cos{3x} + (F+Gx)\sin{3x}[/itex] in this particular case, but I don't know why or how this carries over to the general case.

Why wouldn't [itex](D+Ex)\cos{3x} + (F+Gx)\sin{3x}[/itex] generally be okay in the particular solution when no [itex]x\sin{3x}[/itex] or [itex]x\cos{3x}[/itex] terms appear in the complementary solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:
What I don't fully understand is the need to multiply the polynomials in front of the trig functions by [itex]x[/itex].

[itex](D+Ex)\cos{3x} + (F+Gx)\sin{3x}[/itex] already has non-duplicated terms in it, ie, [itex]Ex\cos{3x}[/itex] and [itex]Gx\sin{3x}[/itex].

Why wouldn't it be sufficient to simply use [itex](D+Ex)\cos{3x} + (F+Gx)\sin{3x}[/itex] and assume that D and F will be zero or else absorbed by linearity into the undetermined constant coefficients of the corresponding trig functions in the complementary solution?
Because sin(3x) and cos(3x) are part of the solution to the homogeneous equation, "Ax sin(3x)+ Bx cos(3x)" would give a solution to an equation with non-homogeneous part "sin(3x)+ cos(3x)". In order to get a solution with non-homogeneous part "x sin(3x)+ x cos(3x)" you have to multiply by x yet again, using [itex]x^2 sin(3x)+ x^2 cos(3x)[/itex]. In general, if you have a non-homogenous part [tex]x^n sin(3x)[/tex] and/or [tex]x^n cos(3x)[/tex] you need to use [tex]Ax^{n+1} sin(3x)+ Bx^{n+1} cos(3x)[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Need help understanding an aspect of undetermined coeff's

1. What are undetermined coefficients?

Undetermined coefficients refer to the unknown constants that are typically used in solving linear, non-homogeneous differential equations. These coefficients are typically found through a trial and error process.

2. What is the purpose of using undetermined coefficients?

The use of undetermined coefficients allows us to find a particular solution to a non-homogeneous differential equation without having to solve the entire equation. This method is often quicker and more efficient than other methods.

3. How do you find the undetermined coefficients?

The method for finding undetermined coefficients involves plugging in a trial solution with the unknown coefficients into the original differential equation. The coefficients are then determined by equating coefficients of like terms on both sides of the equation.

4. What are some common trial solutions used when finding undetermined coefficients?

The most commonly used trial solutions are polynomials, exponentials, and trigonometric functions. The specific trial solution used depends on the type of non-homogeneous term in the differential equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using undetermined coefficients?

Undetermined coefficients can only be used for linear, constant coefficient, non-homogeneous differential equations. They are also not applicable for equations with repeated roots or non-constant coefficients.