Using Undetermined Coefficients to solve an equation for a particular solution?

In summary, the problem asks for the solution of the differential equation y'' + 9y = 3sin(3x) + 3 + e^{3x} using the method of undetermined coefficients. The homogeneous solution is y_h = cos(3x) + sin(3x) and the particular solution is y_p = Ax cos(3x) + Bx sin(3x) + C + D e^{3x}, where A, B, C, and D are coefficients to be solved for. The coefficients A and B cancel out due to the fact that they satisfy the homogeneous equation, leaving the final equation to be solved as 9C + 18D = 3sin(3
KevinD6

Homework Statement

[itex] y'' + 9y = 3sin(3x) + 3 + e^{3x}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first post here so let me know if I've done anything wrong, I've been looking at questions here for a long time though ^^.

So the problem asks me to solve for one particular solution by using undetermined coefficients, I begin by solving for the homogeneous solution:
y'' + 9y = 0
The characteristic polynomial becomes:
[itex] r^2 + 9 = 0 [/itex]
Therefore, I get the two roots [itex] {0 \pm 3i} [/itex]

Solving for the homogeneous solution, which I'll call [itex] y_h [/itex] I get:
[itex] y_h = cos(3x) + sin(3x) [/itex]

Now, my professor hasn't gone through undetermined coefficients in his class yet but put it on the assignment (weird right?), so this is the part I might have screwed up on due to lack of knowledge.

Based on what I've found on the internet, first I predict a form of the particular solution, which I will denote [itex] y_p [/itex]
So:
[itex] y_p = A(cos(3x)) + B(sin(3x)) + C + D(e^{3x}) [/itex]
Afterwards, I plug this particular solution back into my original equation in order to solve for the coefficients A, B, C, and D.

However, taking the second derivative of my particular equation, I get:
[itex] y'' = -9A cos(3x) - 9B sin(3x) + 9D e^{3x} [/itex]
That equation is added onto 9y, which is:
[itex] 9y = 9Acos(3x) + 9B sin(3x) + 9C + 9D e^{3x} [/itex]

I'm left with the final equation of:
[itex] 9C + 18D = 3sin(3x) + 3 + e^{3x} [/itex]

Now what I'm confused about is the fact that A and B cancel out in this case, and I've been looking at internet explanations of undetermined coefficients but I can't find an answer to this question. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
KevinD6 said:

Homework Statement

[itex] y'' + 9y = 3sin(3x) + 3 + e^{3x}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first post here so let me know if I've done anything wrong, I've been looking at questions here for a long time though ^^.

So the problem asks me to solve for one particular solution by using undetermined coefficients, I begin by solving for the homogeneous solution:
y'' + 9y = 0
The characteristic polynomial becomes:
[itex] r^2 + 9 = 0 [/itex]
Therefore, I get the two roots [itex] {0 \pm 3i} [/itex]

Solving for the homogeneous solution, which I'll call [itex] y_h [/itex] I get:
[itex] y_h = cos(3x) + sin(3x) [/itex]

Now, my professor hasn't gone through undetermined coefficients in his class yet but put it on the assignment (weird right?), so this is the part I might have screwed up on due to lack of knowledge.

Based on what I've found on the internet, first I predict a form of the particular solution, which I will denote [itex] y_p [/itex]
So:
[itex] y_p = A(cos(3x)) + B(sin(3x)) + C + D(e^{3x}) [/itex]
Afterwards, I plug this particular solution back into my original equation in order to solve for the coefficients A, B, C, and D.

However, taking the second derivative of my particular equation, I get:
[itex] y'' = -9A cos(3x) - 9B sin(3x) + 9D e^{3x} [/itex]
That equation is added onto 9y, which is:
[itex] 9y = 9Acos(3x) + 9B sin(3x) + 9C + 9D e^{3x} [/itex]

I'm left with the final equation of:
[itex] 9C + 18D = 3sin(3x) + 3 + e^{3x} [/itex]

Now what I'm confused about is the fact that A and B cancel out in this case, and I've been looking at internet explanations of undetermined coefficients but I can't find an answer to this question. Can anyone help me?

##\cos(3x)## and ##\sin(3x)## satisfy the homogeneous equation so they can't contribute to the non-homogeneous. That's why they are dropping out.

Use ##Ax\cos(3x) + Bx\sin(3x)## in your trial solution for ##y_p##.

because your yh is Acos3x+Bsin3x, your yp should be x(Acos3x+Bsin3x).

HaLAA said:
because your yh is Acos3x+Bsin3x, your yp should be x(Acos3x+Bsin3x).
x(Acos3x+Bsin3x)+C+De^3x

Ahh, I see, it was just my ignorance about this method. Thanks guys! I hope to be posting here more in the future.

Paul's math notes has a good explanation of this method of multiplying throughout by a variable fixes problems sometimes.

Related to Using Undetermined Coefficients to solve an equation for a particular solution?

1. How does the method of Undetermined Coefficients work?

The method of Undetermined Coefficients is a technique used to solve a non-homogeneous linear differential equation by guessing a particular solution that fits the given equation. This solution is then substituted into the original equation to determine the values of the unknown coefficients.

2. What types of equations can be solved using Undetermined Coefficients?

The method of Undetermined Coefficients can be used to solve linear differential equations with constant coefficients and non-homogeneous terms, such as equations involving polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution is a set of all possible solutions to a differential equation, while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the given initial conditions. The general solution also includes the complementary solution, which is the solution to the associated homogeneous equation.

4. How do you determine the values of the unknown coefficients in Undetermined Coefficients?

The values of the unknown coefficients are determined by substituting the guessed solution into the original equation and equating the coefficients of each term. This results in a system of equations that can be solved to find the values of the coefficients.

5. Can Undetermined Coefficients always be used to solve a differential equation?

No, Undetermined Coefficients can only be used to solve linear differential equations with constant coefficients and non-homogeneous terms. It cannot be used for equations with variable coefficients or non-linear terms.