How to use of the method of undetermined coefficients

In summary, correct me if I'm wrong. :) The differential equation y''- 3y'+ 2y= 3e^{2x} has characteristic equation r^2- 3r+ 2= (r+ 2)(r+ 1)= 0 and so has e^{x} and e^{2x} as solutions to its associated homogenous equation, y''- 3y'+ 2y=0. So, if the "right hand side" of the differential equation is a function of e^{2x} only, try multiplying that function by x to get the right hand side.
johnlemar_09
Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I'm starting to learn basics of the ordinary differential equations, and I have some troubles understanding the concept and method as a whole. I understand when to use the method of undetermined coefficients (MUC) as opposed from variation of parameters.

Suppose we have the equation

P = Q

Where P is all the y's with primes and derivatives, etc., while Q is all the terms with no primes, just x only.

Now, I know that when Q is composed of exponential term, the guess solution will be of the form exponential too, like f(x) = Ae^kx. If Q contains sine or cosines, then we will use f(x) = A sin kx + B cos kx, where k also corresponds the constant along the sines and cosines of Q. If we have a polynomial for Q, then we will also use a polynomial as the guess solution.

But how about for combination?
1. Exponential + Trigonometric functions
2. Polynomial + Algebraic functions.

For example, what is the guess solution if Q is, say, 5 cos 3x + 2 sin 3x + 3x - 9?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because your differential equation is linear, for sums on the right side, try sums: if your "right hand side" is, as in your example, [itex]5 cos(3x)+ 2 sin(3x)+ 3x- 9[/itex] try [itex]Acos(3x)+ B sin(3x)+ Cx+ D[/itex]
You can also "separate" them and do each part separately (that's the key property of linear problems). For example, looking at [itex]5 cos(3x)+ 2 sin(3x)[/itex] you would try [itex]A cos(3x)+ B sin(3x)[/itex] and for [itex]3x- 9[/itex] you would try [itex]Ax+ B[/itex] (not the same A and B, of course). Once you had determined those numbers, add the results.

More generally:

If your "right hand side" involves [itex]e^{kx}[/itex] then try [itex]Ae^{kx}[/itex].

If your "right hand side" involves either sin(kx) or cos(kx) try A cos(kx)+ B sin(kx)

If your "right hand side" involves [itex]x^n[/itex] try [itex]A_nx^n+ A_{n-1}x^{n-1}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ A_1x+ A_0[/itex]. In other words, a polynomial of order n.

If your "right hand side" involve a product of those types, use a product of the suggested forms. For example, if the "right hand side" is [itex]x^3e^2x[/itex] try [itex](Ax^3+ Bx^2+ Cx+ D)e^{2x}[/itex]. If the "right hand side is [itex]x^2 cos(4x)[/itex] try [itex](Ax^2+ Bx+ C)(Dcos(x)+ E sin(x))[/itex].

If your "right hand side" involves a function that is already a solution to the associated homogenous equation, multiply the proper form by x.

For example, the differential equation [itex]y''- 3y'+ 2y= 3e^{2x}[/tex] has characteristic equation [itex]r^2- 3r+ 2= (r+ 2)(r+ 1)= 0[/itex] and so has [itex]e^{x}[/itex] and [itex]e^{2x}[/itex] as solutions to its associated homogenous equation, y''- 3y'+ 2y= 0, so we would try a function of the form [itex]Axe^{2x}[/itex]. The differential equation [itex]y''- 4y'+ 4= e^{2x}[/itex] has characteristic equation [itex]r^2- 4r+ 4= (r- 2)^2= 0[/itex] and so has [itex]e^{2x}[/itex] and [itex]xe^{2x}[/itex] as solutions. We would multiply [itex]xe^{2x}[/itex] by x and try a function of the form [itex]Ax^2e^{2x}[/itex] to get that right hand side.

Of course, you can only do that when the right hand side involves only function that we would "expect" as solutions to a homogeneous linear d.e. with constant coefficients- exponentials, sine and cosine, polynomials, and products of them. If your right hand side was not of that form but were, say, ln(x) or tan(x), "undetermined coefficients" does not work and you would have to try "variation of parameters".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, HallsofIvy! I finally found a way to solve this kind of problem! Thanks again!

Related to How to use of the method of undetermined coefficients

1. What is the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution by assuming a form for the solution and then determining the coefficients that satisfy the equation.

2. When is the method of undetermined coefficients used?

The method of undetermined coefficients is used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations, which are equations that involve a function and its derivatives. It can be used when the non-homogeneous term of the equation can be expressed as a linear combination of known functions.

3. How do I use the method of undetermined coefficients?

To use the method of undetermined coefficients, you need to follow these steps:

• 1. Identify the order and type of the differential equation.
  • 2. Find the complementary solution by solving the homogeneous equation.
  • 3. Identify the form of the particular solution based on the non-homogeneous term.
  • 4. Substitute the form of the particular solution into the original equation and solve for the coefficients.
  • 5. Add the complementary and particular solutions to get the general solution.

4. What are the common forms of particular solutions used in the method of undetermined coefficients?

The most common forms of particular solutions used in the method of undetermined coefficients are polynomials, exponentials, trigonometric functions, and combinations of these functions. The choice of form depends on the non-homogeneous term in the equation.

5. Can the method of undetermined coefficients be used for all types of non-homogeneous linear differential equations?

No, the method of undetermined coefficients can only be used for certain types of non-homogeneous linear differential equations where the non-homogeneous term can be expressed as a linear combination of known functions. For other types of equations, other methods such as variation of parameters or the method of annihilators may need to be used.