Need help please -- Severe Occupational Pain: Design a "floating" arm

In summary, Louis has suffered from neck and shoulder pain for at least a year or two, to the point of tingling and numbness. He has also realized that the pain comes from his right arm sitting at his desk, raising it and keeping it elevated constantly, while moving it around to work on someone's nails. He needs an arm rest that he can replace the arm rest on a typical office chair with (hand-screw to the bottom) that will cup his elbow, apply a constant (not sure on poundage) upward pressure, and move WITH his elbow in the X & Y axis. He also needs to start a regime of (1) take sufficient breaks to give his muscles enough rest, (2
LouisTo
Hello folks. My name is Louis and I am the owner of a nail salon. I've suffered from pretty severe neck and shoulder pain for at least a year or two now, to the point of tingling and numbness radiating down my arm and leg when I crack my neck to try and relieve the tension. This is a huge problem, as I cannot just walk away.

This is my life. Please - help.

I've realized that aside from just posture, which is a big part, the pain comes from my right arm sitting at my desk, raising it and keeping it elevated constantly, while moving it around to work on someone's nails. Constantly keeping the arm raised creates tension in my shoulder and neck, which is causing massive pain.

I need an arm rest that I can replace the arm rest on a typical office chair with (hand-screw to the bottom) that will cup my elbow, apply a constant (not sure on poundage) upward pressure, and move WITH my elbow in the X & Y axis.

Issue 1: Z axis (need 6-8 inches of vertical travel, starting at typical arm rest height)
Instead of a spring that compresses and changes tension, I think a pulley with a weight or something similar might do the trick yes?

Issue 2: Y axis (back and forth)
A linear rail seems straight forward.

Issue 3: X axis (left and right motions)
I'm not sure what to do here.

I have access to some machine shop tools, a 3d printer, mostly self taught in "making" things.

I'm really desperate for a solution, please help. If you set me down the right path, I'll make it, and take pictures/video!Louis

Engineering news on Phys.org
LouisTo said:
Hello folks. My name is Louis and I am the owner of a nail salon. I've suffered from pretty severe neck and shoulder pain for at least a year or two now, to the point of tingling and numbness radiating down my arm and leg when I crack my neck to try and relieve the tension. This is a huge problem, as I cannot just walk away.

This is my life. Please - help.

I've realized that aside from just posture, which is a big part, the pain comes from my right arm sitting at my desk, raising it and keeping it elevated constantly, while moving it around to work on someone's nails. Constantly keeping the arm raised creates tension in my shoulder and neck, which is causing massive pain.

I need an arm rest that I can replace the arm rest on a typical office chair with (hand-screw to the bottom) that will cup my elbow, apply a constant (not sure on poundage) upward pressure, and move WITH my elbow in the X & Y axis.

Issue 1: Z axis (need 6-8 inches of vertical travel, starting at typical arm rest height)
Instead of a spring that compresses and changes tension, I think a pulley with a weight or something similar might do the trick yes?

Issue 2: Y axis (back and forth)
A linear rail seems straight forward.

Issue 3: X axis (left and right motions)
I'm not sure what to do here.

I have access to some machine shop tools, a 3d printer, mostly self taught in "making" things.

I'm really desperate for a solution, please help. If you set me down the right path, I'll make it, and take pictures/video!Louis

Welcome to the PF, Louis.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? What does s/he say? There are ergonomics experts that deal with this type of situation all of the time -- I think it would be well worth the fee to have one of them come and analyzed your workplace to make suggestions. Just shotgunning potential solutions on your own may not work, and could actually make things worse.

I did a couple of searches using the search string "industrial ergonomic arm lift support device", or variations of those words. Got a lot of different images for ideas. I was thinking of prototyping a counterbalance sling+rope affair over pulleys, holding a bucket of sand.

But ultimately these searches led me to some store-bought device called "Ergorest forearm support" found here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHA0HI/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You also need to start a regime of (1) take sufficient breaks to give your muscles enough rest, (2) massage therapy, (3) chiropractic adjustments. You're doing almost irreparable nerve damage to yourself. Who are you going to sell your business to when you can't sign your own name?

Last edited by a moderator:
@LouisTo -- please PM me about my doctor question, and I'll re-open the thread. It's closed until then.

1. What is a "floating" arm design for occupational pain?

The "floating" arm design refers to a type of ergonomic workstation setup that allows the user's arm to rest on a supportive platform, rather than being suspended in the air. This can help reduce strain and tension on the arm muscles, which can lead to occupational pain.

2. How does a "floating" arm design help with severe occupational pain?

The "floating" arm design helps by providing support and reducing the weight of the arm, which can help alleviate strain on the muscles and joints. It also allows for a more natural and comfortable position for the arm, reducing the risk of developing occupational pain.

3. Can the "floating" arm design be used for any type of occupational pain?

The "floating" arm design can be used for a variety of occupational pain, but it is most commonly used for pain in the arm, wrist, and hand. This includes conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis, and muscle strain.

4. Are there any specific guidelines for designing a "floating" arm workstation?

Yes, there are several guidelines that should be followed when designing a "floating" arm workstation. These include adjusting the height and angle of the arm support to fit the individual's body, ensuring proper wrist alignment, and providing enough room for the arm to move comfortably.

5. Can the "floating" arm design completely eliminate occupational pain?

While the "floating" arm design can help alleviate occupational pain, it may not completely eliminate it. Other factors such as posture, repetitive motions, and overall ergonomics of the workstation also play a role in preventing and managing occupational pain. It is important to address all of these factors in order to effectively manage and prevent occupational pain.