Need Help Designing Speaker Enclosure/Engineering

In summary, Chris is having trouble designing a closed baffle enclosure for his 10.1'' subwoofer. He has checked the Thiele/Small parameters page on Wikipedia to look at the equation (which he did not know by heart), and his quick calculation with your numbers yielded an equivalent compliance volume that is 49 liter. He is fresh out of high school took a year off, and its been 2 years since high level Math or Physics courses so please excuse him if the mistake he is making is pity.
Chris Larabee
Hello all, first post here to physics forums and I have a lot to learn. I will be attending a northern Ontario university for Mechanical Engineering in fall so hopefully this relationship proves fruitful.

Here is my problem, I bought a new stereo for my jeep.. and I am having trouble designing a closed baffle enclosure for my 10.1'' subwoofer.

Here is where I am and how I got there, and why I am having trouble...

Given:
Fs = resonant frequency = 33.5 Hz
Cms = mechanical compliance = 0.0002m/N (metres / Newton)
Sd = effective area of cone = 0.0415m^2 (metres squared)

Unknown:

Cas = Acoustic Driver Compliance Cas=Cms*Sd^2
Cab = Acoustic Box Compliance Cab=Cas *R\
R= driver to box compliance ratio
R = 2

So: Cas = 0.0002m*(0.0415m^2)^2
=0.0002m/N*(0.00172225m^4)
Cas = 3.4 * 10 ^-7 m^5/N

Therefore Cab = 3.4 * 10 ^-7 m^5/N divided by two
= 1.72 x 10^-7m5/N

Now Volume of the Box Vb = Cab *Gamma Constant (Lets assume it is 5.77)
Vb = 1.72 x 10^-7 m^5 /N * 5,77
Vb = approx .99 x 10^-7m5/N

^^^^NOW HERE IS MY ISSUE^^^^

How the hell am I coming up with such a wrong answer, surly area is not expressed in terms of M^5/Newton and why is my volume so high? The Manufacturer recommends an enclosure from 0.08 m^2

please HELP, I will greatly appreciate it and contribute as much as I can to this forum :)

Also I am fresh out of high school took a year off, and its been 2 years since high level Math or Physics courses so please excuse me if the mistake I am making is pity.

Science news on Phys.org
Hi Chris, and welcome to PF!
I checked the Thiele/Small parameters page on Wikipedia to look at the equation (which I did not know by heart), and my quick calculation with your numbers yielded an equivalent compliance volume that is 49 liter. I will post my calculation here in a while...

EDIT:
According to wiki, the equation is

Vas = ρ * c2 * Sd2 * Cms

and with your values above, this yields

Vas = 1.184 * 346.12 * 0.04152 * 0.0002 m3 ≈ 0.048852 m3 ≈ 49 liters.

Last edited:
Likes Chris Larabee
DennisN said:
I checked the Thiele/Small parameters page on Wikipedia to look at the equation (which I did not know by heart), and my quick calculation with your numbers yielded an equivalent compliance volume that is 49 liter. I will post my calculation here in a while...

EDIT:

Vas = ρ * c2 * Sd2 * Cms

Thank you so much! If you could post your solution I would greatly appreciate it, I know there are other ways but I found the thiele parameters easy.. I'm sure that won't be the case for my mid frequency and tweeter drivers.

DennisN said:

EDIT:

Vas = ρ * c2 * Sd2 * Cms

I noticed something in your calculations , shouldn't it be p * c^2 * (0.0415m^2)^2 * 0.0002m/N? Which leaves me in the same confused state as to what to do with Newtons

Chris Larabee said:
I noticed something in your calculations , shouldn't it be p * c^2 * (0.0415m^2)^2 * 0.0002m/N? Which leaves me in the same confused state as to what to do with Newtons

Maybe, just maybe, if we resolve everything to mass, length and time:

Newton is force which = ma so it could have units mass X length/time^2

so
Vas = ρ * c2 * Sd2 * Cmsrho would be mass/length^3
c^2 would be length^2/time^2
Sd^2 would be length^4
Cms in meters per Newton would be length/(mass X length/time^2) equals time^2/mass

so i get for units of Vas

[mass/length^3] X [length^2/time^2 ] X[length^4] X [ time^2/mass]

which has for numerator = mass X length^2 X length^4 X time^2
and has for denominator = length^3 X time^2 X 1 X mass

so mass cancels
time^2 cancels
all that's left is length^3 which is volume.

Chris Larabee said:
Which leaves me in the same confused state as to what to do with Newtons

use 'em to get rid of that pesky velocity and mass

hope above helps

old jim

jim hardy said:
Maybe, just maybe, if we resolve everything to mass, length and time:

Newton is force which = ma so it could have units mass X length/time^2

so
Vas = ρ * c2 * Sd2 * Cmsrho would be mass/length^3
c^2 would be length^2/time^2
Sd^2 would be length^4
Cms in meters per Newton would be length/(mass X length/time^2) equals time^2/mass

so i get for units of Vas

[mass/length^3] X [length^2/time^2 ] X[length^4] X [ time^2/mass]

which has for numerator = mass X length^2 X length^4 X time^2
and has for denominator = length^3 X time^2 X 1 X mass

so mass cancels
time^2 cancels
all that's left is length^3 which is volume.
use 'em to get rid of that pesky velocity and mass

hope above helps

old jim
Thank you sir, I had forgotten all about dimensional analysis. I was a bad student in grade 12, often stoned for the majority of physics so I don't recall much. I did much better in grade 11, and since have learned my lesson that smoking everyday is something my brain can no longer do if I wish to keep what intelligence I have left, let that be a lesson to some.

Thank you

I sacrificed quite a few brain cells to beer and won't cast stones.

Glad to see you digging into speakers, they're really interesting.

Have fun

Related to Need Help Designing Speaker Enclosure/Engineering

1. What is the purpose of a speaker enclosure?

A speaker enclosure is designed to house and support the speaker components, as well as enhance and direct the sound produced by the speaker. It also helps to prevent interference from outside sounds and provides a more accurate and consistent sound reproduction.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size for a speaker enclosure?

The size of a speaker enclosure is based on the size and specifications of the speaker itself. It is important to consider the volume of air needed for the speaker to function properly, as well as the desired frequency response. It is recommended to consult the speaker manufacturer's specifications or use a speaker enclosure design software to determine the appropriate size.

3. What materials should I use to build a speaker enclosure?

The materials used for building a speaker enclosure can vary, but commonly used materials include MDF (medium-density fiberboard), plywood, and particleboard. These materials are sturdy and provide good acoustic properties. It is also important to use appropriate insulation materials, such as polyfill or acoustic foam, to reduce internal resonance and improve sound quality.

4. How do I ensure proper ventilation in a speaker enclosure?

Proper ventilation is crucial for the performance and longevity of a speaker. It is recommended to use a vented design, which incorporates ports or holes to allow air to flow in and out of the enclosure. The size and placement of these vents should be carefully calculated to avoid any unwanted resonance or distortion.

5. Can I modify an existing speaker enclosure design?

Yes, it is possible to modify an existing speaker enclosure design to suit your specific needs. However, it is important to consider the effects of any modifications on the speaker's performance and to make sure that the enclosure is still properly supporting and directing the sound. It is recommended to consult with a professional or use speaker enclosure design software for any modifications.