Need help identifying the force on a roof as a tornado wind passes over it.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a roof tearing away from a house due to a difference in air pressure during a tornado or hurricane. The problem at hand involves calculating the magnitude of the force on a 2200 ft2 roof being hit by air blowing at 136 mph. The student attempted to use Bernoulli's equation to find the pressure above the roof and then take the difference in pressures above and below, but this approach was incorrect. Instead, the student needs to consider the units and use the equation P=F/A to find the force. The expected answer is on the order of x*10^5N.
adlibitum

Homework Statement

In a tornado or hurricane, a roof may tear away from the house because of a difference in pressure between the air inside and the air outside. Suppose that air is blowing across the top of a 2200 ft2 roof at 136 mph. What is the magnitude of the force on the roof?

Homework Equations

P1+gρh+.5ρv^2=P2gρh+.5ρv^2
P=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the pressure above the roof, from Bernoulli's equation, take the difference in pressures above and below, and then divide that by the area...and that was very, very, very much the wrong thing, but I'm not sure why. I know that the answer is supposed to be on the order of x*10^5N.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take a pressure and divide by the area, you won't get force. Look at the units.

Related to Need help identifying the force on a roof as a tornado wind passes over it.

1. What is the force of a tornado wind on a roof?

The force of a tornado wind on a roof can vary greatly depending on the strength and size of the tornado. However, on average, a tornado wind can exert a force of 70-100 pounds per square foot on a roof.

2. How is the force of a tornado wind on a roof calculated?

The force of a tornado wind on a roof is calculated using the equation F = 0.00256 x V^2 x A, where F is the force in pounds, V is the wind speed in miles per hour, and A is the area of the roof in square feet.

3. What factors affect the force of a tornado wind on a roof?

The force of a tornado wind on a roof can be affected by several factors, including the strength and size of the tornado, the shape and orientation of the roof, and the materials and construction of the roof.

4. Can a roof withstand the force of a tornado wind?

In most cases, a well-built and properly maintained roof should be able to withstand the force of a tornado wind. However, the severity and duration of the wind can also play a role in the roof's ability to withstand the force.

5. How can I protect my roof from the force of a tornado wind?

To minimize the damage from a tornado wind, it is important to ensure that your roof is properly constructed and maintained. This includes using high-quality materials, regularly inspecting and repairing any damage, and reinforcing the roof with additional support structures if necessary.