How do wind and air pressure affect a house's roof?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the difference in pressure between two points on a roof with wind blowing over it, and using the Venturi effect to determine the force applied to the roof by the stagnant air inside. The suggested equations to use are the Venturi effect and Bernoulli's principle.
asheik234

Homework Statement

Frensley_Fluids_Bernoulli_012.gif

A house has a roof with an area of 220 m2. Wind blows over the top with a speed of 10 m/s. The density of air is 1.29 kg/m2. The air inside the house is stagnant. Point A is just inside the roof, and point B is outside the roof at the same height.

(a) What is the difference in pressure (PA - PB) between points A and B?

(b) What force is applied to the roof by the inside air?

Homework Equations

This is where I'm stuck at

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what equations to apply here, they all involve mass, but that's not a given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied the Venturi effect? Look it up.

gneill said:
Have you studied the Venturi effect? Look it up.

Yes, I've studied it, but how does that apply here?

asheik234 said:
Yes, I've studied it, but how does that apply here?

Um, air flowing faster over roof than under roof... air pressure difference... area of roof...

gneill said:
Um, air flowing faster over roof than under roof... air pressure difference... area of roof...

Oh yes, I realized that, but I don't know where to go from there, what equations should I use.

asheik234 said:
Oh yes, I realized that, but I don't know where to go from there, what equations should I use.

What equation pertains to the venturi effect? Look up venturi effect.

Check Bernoulli.

Related to How do wind and air pressure affect a house's roof?

1. What is the concept of buoyancy in physics?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. This force is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, which is caused by the weight of the fluid above the object.

2. How is the buoyant force calculated?

The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This can be calculated using the formula FB = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the relationship between buoyancy and density?

Buoyancy and density are directly proportional. This means that the greater the density of an object or fluid, the greater the buoyant force it experiences.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object affects its buoyancy because it determines the volume of fluid it displaces. Objects with a larger volume will experience a greater buoyant force than objects with a smaller volume.

5. How does the buoyant force affect floating and sinking objects?

If the buoyant force is greater than the weight of the object, the object will float. If the buoyant force is less than the weight of the object, the object will sink. If the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the object, the object will remain suspended at a constant depth.